BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M50 swap intresting problems

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  jgm456 
#1 ·
first off hello. this is my first post here and am new to the forums. my name is Quinn and i drive a 1998 M3 convertible, with 140k on the clock. i have done quite a bit to my M3 already, such as auto to manual top conversion, auto to manual transmission conversion and some other fun little upgrades as well, so i am comfortable turning a wrench. i am currently finishing up an M50 manifold conversion using the M50manifold.com kit and have run into an interesting problem.

i pulled the oem intake manifold off to replace the oil filter housing gasket and replace the rear cooling hoses, and my 3 year old brother decided to drop the M52 manifold and cracked it. genius. i already had an M50 i picked up from a junkyard a while back. i bought the kit and installed it. the first time running it, i think it was the ccv but something went wrong and decided to pull a good amount of oil into the manifold. i noticed because the exhaust was spitting alot of liquid oil out of it. so i pulled the manifold off, cleaned it and replaced the spark plugs, (they where fried) the ccv and the oil pan line and the line to the head. after i replaced it, it started spitting out water as well as oil, but im pretty sure that is just because the engine is running rich. i have never overheated the car and replaced the valve cover gasket a few weeks after i bought it. do you guys have any idea why it might be still spitting out oil after i replaced the ccv, or could it be oil still in the exhaust? i am at a loss, im not quite sure what it is. the only code the car is throwing is p0170 and p0600 (which is from the trans swap), and i am currently checking for vacuum leaks. anything helps, i would really appreciate any feedback will help. thank you.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you had so much oil going into the exhaust that it was dripping out the tail pipe, the CATs are probably saturated with it. It may take a while to get it all out, and hopefully the CATs aren't toasted from being coated with oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.