BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mintychappy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to this forum... I've had my bmw 318i sport 2004 for 2 days now and all was good until tonight.

Basically i had been driving for roughly 30 mins and i noticed my re oil light and battery light were on so i stopped and swathed the engine off. I then restarted it and they had gone. Another 20 mins past and they popped up again this time as i slowed down the steering went a little heavy. I done the same procedure and carried on. The third time they both came on again and i lost throttle. Again i repeated the procedure and headed home.

It seems strange to me how the battery light comes on as well.

The oil level is good and looks fairly clean but it is due a service in 10,000 miles.

Any ideas as to what could be happening? When i get the chance ill put a pressure gauge on it ut until then, stupidly, I'm gunna have to chance it.

Cheers in advance guys!

#2 ·
Until you know they're related, I'd take 'em separately ...

For the oil light:
- What to do when you have low oil pressure (1) & the difference between a red oil light versus yellow oil light (1) & how to diagnose oil consumption & oil pressure problems (1)

For the charging system light:
- Complete DIY for how to test a BMW battery & alternator (1)

#3 ·
Your engine is stalling. That's why the oil and battery light come on. Your steering getting heavy also points in this direction.

Do you have the check engine light on? Any codes? I'm also thinking ignition switch. When those lights come on, does your speedometer also go flat?

#6 · (Edited)
battery/oil lights

New as well. '06 325i 150k miles. I had something similar happen on my way to work this week. After driving about 70 miles, I started losing speed. I could press on the gas pedal and get power but no speed. I noticed the battery and oil lights (both red) were on before I turned the car off. The check engine light was not on and oil changed last week. I tried to restart the car, the battery light and a couple seconds later the oil light and then engine stalled. Oh and just under a 1/4 tank of gas.

Had the car towed to my mechanics, no error codes or log info on the computer. They've had it for a couple days - driving 3 or 5 miles to test no errors, no problems. I have a 1 1/2 hr commute over 2 bridges and not much confidence in my driving machine :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.