BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Oil Level not max after oil change.

Tags
change oil
28K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  pointandgo 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the first time I got my oil changed at an indy shop, and after it was done and I drove off, I checked the oil level in "Vehicle Information" and it's only at about half way between Min and Max. I drove it about 20 minutes to the shop, then drove it 10 minutes to work after the change. I never got this issue before - Each time i got an oil change at the dealer it would read Max right away.

Does the oil need to heat up for a while before the car senses that it's at the Max level? If so, then why did the oil level raise that small amount but not all the way?

#4 ·
I have done my first oil change after warranty expired. Dealer done it before and it was always showing max for the last 7k miles since they've done it
I drained oil and measured it - it drained 7Qrt, so I have purred about 7Qrts back and showed max rigth away and stays that way

#5 · (Edited)
Same experience here. Went right up to the Max mark on first check with 7 quarts. Experimented on the last change by putting in only 6 quarts to start with in order to see how accurate the gauge was. Turns out pretty accurate as it came up to the Min mark. Each mark appears to equal about 1/4 quart. Added 1/2 quart and it went to the middle mark. Added the other 1/2 quart and it went right to Max.

Adam, if it doesn't come up to Max next check, I'd add to it a 1/4 quart at a time until you get to the Max mark.

#8 ·
When I change my own oil, I intentionally fill it so it will be a bit short of full. You're better off, from what I understand, being a half liter shy than overfilling. It's easy enough to drive it for a few days and add a bit of oil on your own until it reads full.

http://www.quora.com/How-can-excess-oil-harm-a-cars-engine

#11 ·
The fuss is that when you pay for an oil change, you pay for a full oil change. My car runs on half a tank of gas, too, but I don't pay for a fill up and leave with half lol. The dealership has filled it to max on each oil change, so that's what I expect. I mean I understand that it's not the worst thing in the world, but I want it closer to max so I don't have to think about it for the next year.

#12 ·
The Sensor has its own mind about when to update but.

Ok when I first took mine into the Indy he was putting in about 7.5 quarts the car
went all year before it showed a little off full.
When't to the dealer he put in 7 quarts in about three months it was down a little.
happened twice once for a free brake fluid change and once for a recall.
When't back to the Indy new guy puts in 6.5 quarts. I drive down the road a little
while and notice its a little over the half way mark . I go back and get another .5 quarts
4 months later it's down a little.
What does it say on your Invoice for oil quantity.

#15 ·
This is the first time I got my oil changed at an indy shop, and after it was done and I drove off, I checked the oil level in "Vehicle Information" and it's only at about half way between Min and Max. I drove it about 20 minutes to the shop, then drove it 10 minutes to work after the change. I never got this issue before - Each time i got an oil change at the dealer it would read Max right away.

Does the oil need to heat up for a while before the car senses that it's at the Max level? If so, then why did the oil level raise that small amount but not all the way?
Our electronic oil level indicator can be confusing. Even if it shows slightly below the 'min' level, only one quart is required. Some may think that this indicates 'zero' oil level.

Seems that you need 1/2 quart.

Typically, according the the owner's manual, only about 5 min. of driving is required to get an accurate oil level indication

#16 ·

Our electronic oil level indicator can be confusing. Even if it shows slightly below the 'min' level, only one quart is required. Some may think that this indicates 'zero' oil level. :yikes:

Seems that you need 1/2 quart.

Typically, according the the owner's manual, only about 5 min. of driving is required to get an accurate oil level indication

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.