Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: unimobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel
alot of ppl said their clutch needs to be replaced prematurely on the SMG models, etc.. and lots of problems of it stalling, going into neutral while on hwy.. etc...

smg sucks then!! it's about $300 more than steptronic here in Canada, i'm still deciding..step or smg

no manual, i've driven manual for 3 yrs already
SMG's are prone to please the former clutch drivers more often than the automatic drivers.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:25 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Hey, lookie what I found - glad I stubled onto this thread - thanks Nate for posting it back then
Photo gallery
Old 09-30-2006, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M 5
Smg2

Great article, I went from a stick M5 to the new 5 with the SMG2, Love it. I now shift and handle the car like a Pro and all because the shifting element is now out of the equation. I have a GT2 that is loads of fun but when you really want to get on it one needs to be very ready.

PS...they have had a few technical problems (cog of death) but slowly they are de-bugging and to be fair no problems since the software updates.

Have a good time with your new ride and thanks for your well thought out article.

Michael
LA,Ca.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:57 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
No thanks on the SMG...

I like to have the control that comes with PARTIAL clutch depression to limit the revs on the engine... I can slow down the car by easing up on the clutch and not even touching the brake.

SMG can't let me do that.
But why would you want to do that? Brakes are designed for slowing the car and also easily replaceable. Its not like we drive old cars with 4-wheel drum brakes where such tactics were necessary (my old Camaro had drums on it when on I bought it).
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 AW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcc View Post
I had the good fortune of driving a friend's F355 with the paddle shifters ... Shifting was perfectly smooth under both light and hard acceleration. I could downshift under braking without upsetting the chassis ... puttering around town in automatic mode was as smooth as any automatic I've ever driven.

I think the good/bad news with the Ferrari version is that you really don't need much skill to smoothly manage the engine. I didn't try anything blatantly stupid but if you shift anywhere near the normal rpm's, the thing shifts smooth as silk, no throttle lifting required.

If I could get that system on a car I could afford , I'd do it in an instant. While I think that in some ways I wouldn't be quite as "involved" in the driving, the system would let me drive the car so much better than I can drive a manual right now that it would be worth it. Not to mention the convenience in stop-and-go traffic.
After reading this, I would have to ask you, why not just get an automatic? If silky smooth shifts is a priority for you, and you're willing to give up some "involvement," I would think a Steptronic transmission is your ticket. They even have paddle shifters for Step now.

I'm not trying to be a wiseass or denigrate your opinion. I believe everyone has a wide range of priorities that affect their choice of transmission, and I simply want some more insight into yours.
2005 ///M3 Silver Gray PCD 25 May 2005 Traded in 26 Mar 2008.
1993 325i 5MT|H&R Sports|Bilstein HD|RD Sport Sways|Mille Miglia MM-IIs w/ 225/50-16 Bridgestone RE750s|UUC StrutBarbarian|JC Chip & CAI|M3 cat-back|UUC Clutch Stop|Alpine HU & changer|Boston Acoustics 6.53 Pro|2 x JLAudio 10W0 subs|Xtant amps Hit 9 Jun 2006. R.I.P. Donated to charity 5 Jul 2006.
Her:
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L Silver Pearl
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 convertible
great article, not too long but lots of good information

Thanks for the SMG opinion article. Having driven over 250K miles on a 6-speed '02 Maxima, that I hated to give up, I was initially disappointed with my '02 M3 w/SMG. It has taken me nearly 2K miles to finally figure out the correct technique for smoother shifting. Had I read that article a year ago I would have saved myself a lot of frustration and second guessing for choosing SMG over the 6-speed. It just takes a period of adjustment before the SMG can be fully appreciated. Thanks for the link... a must read for those manual diehards contemplating an SMG.