Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I owned an Audi Quattro and now a BMW rwd in very northern climate. AWD is no substitute for winter tires.

BMW Traction Control is very effficient and I would never pay more for an Audi 4 cyl. The quality feel of a six in this class is a must when you spend that much money.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
I owned an Audi Quattro and now a BMW rwd in very northern climate. AWD is no substitute for winter tires.

BMW Traction Control is very effficient and I would never pay more for an Audi 4 cyl. The quality feel of a six in this class is a must when you spend that much money.
So which would you go for?? You say the AWD is no sub for winter tires...
Old 06-09-2005, 02:08 AM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by saury316
Being a Pittsburgher....just out of curiosity...do you know anywhere in Pittsburgh where I could store teh tires...really cheaply?
Becasue as has been said...I just find the interior/exterior of the BMW a lot better than the Audi.
The only thing actually holding me to the Audi is the AWD and the fact its slightly cheaper. Waiting for the 2006 BMW 325xi is just going to be a while, casue I have checked with dealers and they expect Sept to OCtober....also I think with the 325 already this pricy...the x will simply be out of my budget.
I am really looking forward to the test drives this Saturday....unfortunately there is no snow...lol...but there is predictions of rain....not the same by far...but better than a dry sunny day ...
I don't know of anywhere you could store them.

Do you have a garage?

The space in my garage is at a premium (2 kids w / lots of sports stuff), so I went to Home Depot and bought some wall mounts. I hang all four winter rims on the wall and waste almost no space.
moonroof:
Old 06-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328i Manutomatic ZSP
I had 325XI E46 that I replaced with the A4 3.0 Quattro manual, Ultrasport (long story)...

Audi drive is really harsher than BMW but the grip is amazing. The thing is glued to the road. I'd say that BMW really has better driver's feedback, probably better transmission (especially E90, tried it), and very very smooth V6, but if you are worried about winter then Quattro is definitely good choice. I live in Michigan and love the AWD even with all season tires. Now that I got used to Audi I can tell you that they have their own characteristics and feel that I've grown to appreciate and love in the same way I did my BMW. It is just different.

Test drive both and decide based on what you like more and not really whether it is AWD or RWD. Reason being is that winter setup is cheap ~$1000 for wheels and tires and you should be fine in winter. If you like BMW more get it, with winter setup you'll be fine. Everybody in Europe is driving in winter RWD cars just fine :-)

But with all this said I plan to get new M3 down the road...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
washington DC dealers

Hey,

Looking for dealers in the Washington DC metro area that are reputable and willing to get me an e90 for $1000-$1500 above european delivery invoice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed328Ci
If you go with the Bimmer, I would recommend winter tires. I don't think 4 seasons will cut it. I would recommend winter tires for the A4 as well. Marketing aside, traction has less to do with drive configuration, than with the tires. Quattro definately, will not help with stopping!

Ed

My dealer stores summer tires/wheels for free.

My 02 e46 has all season BFG Traction T/A's. Went trough last winter here in MI (nasty winter) and the car was fine. This car does NOT have the sport package. I would say that you could get through the winter with this tire if you are reasonably careful. The OEM tires were Conti's and they were just terrible all around, in every respect. The T/A's even out handle and are quieter than the Conti's were on dry pavement.

My 06 e90 has Perrelli OEM tires and they are exceptional handling tires. This car HAS the sport package. I have no intention of driving it on the Pirelli's in the winter. I will be buying a set of winter rims and tires.

I guess my point is that you can get away with good 4 season tires IF you don't have the sport package.

Of course this is just my opinion......

Jim

Last edited by aloyouis; 06-12-2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330i, 06 Audi A3
Did you ask your dealer about storing tires for free? I am sure they do that.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
I question the idea of sticking to all-seasons tires even with the Audi.

Going up a snowy road is one thing, stopping on ice is another.

It really doesn't strike me as a good choice to risk totaling a 34K$+ car just to save 1000$ on winter tires.

As for the storage inconvenience, just find a dealer that will keep them.

By the way, I drive a RWD e46 in Canadian winters and have no problems with snow tires.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 PM

I am heavily leaning towards the BMW the dealer has said he can store the tires for me for free
what I would like to know now is whether I am getting a good deal...this is what I am negotiating for...
BMW 325i - Jet Black w/Black Leatherette
Power Seats
Cold Weather Package
Aluminium Trim
BMW Assist
Park Distance Control
iDrive Navi
I am being quoted invoice +1000 so about 35000....i am trying to negotiate it downto at LEAST 34000...preferebly 33000....
What should I be aiming at and are their any tips people can give me (ED is not a feasible option...unfortunately )
Old 06-13-2005, 02:21 AM

From when I bought my car and what I hear recently, that's a good price for the Pgh area.

Back in '01, I paid 800 over dealer cost, but I had to drive to OH.

What dealer is this?
moonroof:
Old 06-13-2005, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 650 vert, Rang rver sport
Quote:
I am heavily leaning towards the BMW the dealer has said he can store the tires for me for free
what I would like to know now is whether I am getting a good deal...this is what I am negotiating for...
BMW 325i - Jet Black w/Black Leatherette
Power Seats
Cold Weather Package
Aluminium Trim
BMW Assist
Park Distance Control
iDrive Navi
I am being quoted invoice +1000 so about 35000....i am trying to negotiate it downto at LEAST 34000...preferebly 33000....
What should I be aiming at and are their any tips people can give me (ED is not a feasible option...unfortunately )

I seriously doubt you're going to get the car for invoice or below invoice. If you are getting $1000 + invoice, take it.
2007 Z4M Coupe - returned
2006 525i; ED 5/2/05 - sold
2002 X5 3.0 - still kicking and reliable
Old 06-13-2005, 05:55 AM

Also...for those around Pittsburgh....any opinions on the 4 dealers in the area?? I am primarily dealing with P&W BMW and Bobby Rahal, but have recently talked to Sewickley as well.....good thoughts/bad thoughts on them??
Old 06-13-2005, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 02 325i
I had two winters with my 325i (all season) and it didn't handle that well. The DSC helps but I still have to drive slow during the winter. This past winter I got a set of winter tires. All I can say is WOW... that's a hell lot of difference.... I can almost drive as if I am on dry road. Definitely worth the investment on winter tires.

As for the dealers, I only had experience with P&W. Salesperson was great when I bought the car. The service guys are also pretty nice and helpful. They offer you loaner car as well..... I went to Sewickly once when I was buying my car and the salesperson I met with didn't look that friendly...
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Also...for those around Pittsburgh....any opinions on the 4 dealers in the area?? I am primarily dealing with P&W BMW and Bobby Rahal, but have recently talked to Sewickley as well.....good thoughts/bad thoughts on them??
I don't know about their sales depts, but P&W and Bobby Rahal both offer free loaners regardless of where you bought your car. P&W is just average w / service satisfaction in my opinion. They usually fix it right the first time, but always seem to leave grease smudges in my sand interior. Bobby Rahal is MUCH better. Previously, when it was Three Rivers, they were absolutley awful. But, since the switch to Rahal, they have been excellent and work VERY hard to make sure you're satisfied.
moonroof:
Old 06-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmabmw
I seriously doubt you're going to get the car for invoice or below invoice. If you are getting $1000 + invoice, take it.

I have the Jet Black and Black leatherette. I have one thing to add:

GET WINDOW TINTING!!!

This is the hottest dang car I have EVER owned.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 3251
bmw vs. audi

Saury, you are in the exact predicament as I am. I too am looking at buying one of the two cars. I am leaning toward the bmw because I do still think it is a higher quality car. Living in Canada, believe me, I experience much more severe driving conditions than any American. So, I have asked many people and I get mixed reviews. Some say the RWD is fine as long as you have winter tires on it. Others say it's a nightmare because you get stuck easily. Stability control does nothing when you're stuck in a standstill position. Also, many say the BMWxi's are not like real BMW's because it takes away from the driving feel. My sense tells me the Audi quattro is better in the winter, but my heart wants the BMW. I figure, for a $3000 option of AWD, I'm going with the BMWxi. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until October and I'm dying to get into one for the summer. I hope I can make it to October. Some good deals on the 1.8T Audi are really starting to pop up. I like the body on the 1.8T better than that of the 2.0T. But that's a whole new discussion. I am so confused!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 02:13 PM

As far as reliability goes, I think you'd have more satisfaction with the BMW (No VW parts there), but you also could be badlucky so I don't want to sound as if that was a warranty... However, if you take a drive in both, there is a lot of chance your heart would lean towards the Bimmer.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM

2006 audi 2.0T is ugly!!!

Is it just me or is the audi A4 2.0T a lot uglier than the outgoing 1.8T? I don't know, I haven't read any complaints about it, but it looks like an average looking sedan now. The 1.8 seemed a lot more aggressive looking. Does anyone agree?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:50 PM

I DID IT! OMG I DID IT!
Placed deposit for the 325 yesterday...i am soooooooooo happppppppyyyyyyyyyyy..........and now the wait begins..... dum dum dom dummmmm.........lol
After test driving both cars, I felt that the BMW felt a lot more comfortable on the road. It, like all BMWs, felt like it was glued to the surface, and just felt great accelerating and handling.
The Audi felt like it was straining everytime I pushed the pedal down...unless I was in Sprts mode, and then it felt like the 3.... also the steering was a lot lighter/losser than the BMW and that did not bode well with me. Finally the interior (i.e. Dash and controls) was very cluttered and looked cheap in my opinion in comparision to the BMW and the rear legroom was abysmal (my parents were in the back and they are 5' 5" and 5' !!)....
Old 06-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i PP/SP
i vs. xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by italia90
Is it just me or is the audi A4 2.0T a lot uglier than the outgoing 1.8T? I don't know, I haven't read any complaints about it, but it looks like an average looking sedan now. The 1.8 seemed a lot more aggressive looking. Does anyone agree?
italia90,

could be the new grille. apparently audi did some research and found too many women were buying the A4—which in turn turned men off the car, so they made the car along with the grille "more aggressive". as for your woes about the 3-series. i'm in toronto and am also in the same boat. am inches from getting the 330i/SPORTS/PREM but recently found out that the 330xi coming in october will have a sports package available also. i'm just wondering if i really need the x-drive or is the DSC with winter tires enough. my main concern is that my wife will drive on rare occassions, and i want it to be as safe and easy to drive in the winter as it is in the summer - for her at least. however, i spoke with the moderator at the 3-series test drive event and he mentioned that 'i' vs. 'xi' is merely a performance/handling preference and that no car is truly 100% safe in extreme winter conditions. not even an X5... actually, i think i just sold myself on the 330i. well, anyway, good luck.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
The A4 B7 sales are not good. Less than last year and it is not a supply issue.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I DID IT! OMG I DID IT!
Placed deposit for the 325 yesterday...i am soooooooooo happppppppyyyyyyyyyyy..........and now the wait begins..... dum dum dom dummmmm.........lol
After test driving both cars, I felt that the BMW felt a lot more comfortable on the road. It, like all BMWs, felt like it was glued to the surface, and just felt great accelerating and handling.
The Audi felt like it was straining everytime I pushed the pedal down...unless I was in Sprts mode, and then it felt like the 3.... also the steering was a lot lighter/losser than the BMW and that did not bode well with me. Finally the interior (i.e. Dash and controls) was very cluttered and looked cheap in my opinion in comparision to the BMW and the rear legroom was abysmal (my parents were in the back and they are 5' 5" and 5' !!)....
Congrats!!

Now lets hear the details....colors, options, and of course how much you paid over invoice!
moonroof:
Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghis
am inches from getting the 330i/SPORTS/PREM but recently found out that the 330xi coming in october will have a sports package available also. i'm just wondering if i really need the x-drive or is the DSC with winter tires enough.
In my case, RWD in winter was okay for the past 5 years.

I don't know if they will the the same thing as they did with the e46 all-wheel drive but the sport option was merely a seat and steering option in this case, and BMW did not lower the suspension (Which in fact was already about 1 inch higher than on the base car).

I'll give that to Audi, even on Quattro cars, a sport setup means a lower car...
Old 06-15-2005, 08:19 PM

Ghengis in 330i for winter

QUOTE=genghis]italia90,
Genghis, I'm glad to see another Canadian in my exact predicament. I love the 330i with the sport suspension. The 18 inch rims make that car look unbelievable. Are you saying they'll offer 18's with the 330xi? What kind of prices are you guys paying for a 325i and 330i in Ontario? Is it true the xi only goes up in price by $2900? Is the ride in the xi that much worse than that of a regular 330i? What do you think? As for the car salesman, I think he's full of it. Of course an AWD will be safer in the winter. It has the edge on many situations. I really don't know if I can wait until October. Let me know how you do on your purchase.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i PP/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia90
italia90,
Genghis, I'm glad to see another Canadian in my exact predicament. I love the 330i with the sport suspension. The 18 inch rims make that car look unbelievable. Are you saying they'll offer 18's with the 330xi? What kind of prices are you guys paying for a 325i and 330i in Ontario? Is it true the xi only goes up in price by $2900? Is the ride in the xi that much worse than that of a regular 330i? What do you think? As for the car salesman, I think he's full of it. Of course an AWD will be safer in the winter. It has the edge on many situations. I really don't know if I can wait until October. Let me know how you do on your purchase.
Italia90,
apparently yes, you get the rims with the 330xi. take look at the e90 sourcebook located on the e90 thread. i'm just not sure if they'll lower the suspension. i don't think x-drive can accomodate it. but i could be mistaken.
as for the price, the canadian site is quoting $55,300 for 330i/SPORTS/METALLIC PAINT/PREMIUM PACKAGE, but i get a discount from the my workplace, which is apparently 3-4% over dealer cost. but i'm trying to confirm.
as for the drive of the 'xi' vs. 'i', can't say. i've read tons on the e46 xi and get the impression that, spring/summer/fall performance-wise, there is no comparison. most people choose the RWD hands down. but who knows about the e90s, as the xi has yet to be revealed, or even reviewed yet.
also, many many people have written about how brilliant the RWD is with winter tires. and with the 50/50 weight distribution, coupled with the DSC, i think i'll be just fine.
the only thing left for me to decide is whether to get the iDrive. i'm a sucker for technology, but have yet to read anything convincing about it.