Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-16-2005, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: None
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i
Congrats!!

Now lets hear the details....colors, options, and of course how much you paid over invoice!
Got the 325i in Jet Black (was on a extremely tight budget...so metallic was not an option)
-Black Leatherette
-Steptronic
-Cold Weather Package
-BMW Assist
-iDrive with Navigation
-Power seats w/memory
-Park Distance Control
-Aluminium Trim
-Sat Prep (dealer threw in for free)
Final Price = $36000 plus tax (7%) and plates ($150).
This is slightly more than what others quoted me (by like 100-200 dollars) but this dealer is really close to where I stay, and offered to store my tires for me when I switch to winter tires.

Last edited by saury316; 06-16-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 3251
Genghis, I think you really are in my exact situation. You simply cannot wait until October to see what the xi is all about. I have a feeling it is going to be much improved from the present model. It is only going to be a $2900 upgrade and that's nothing when you're paying $50000+. I checked how much the upgrade is on the 5 series and based it on that. My only concern is that the raised suspension won't look as good. My premise is this, if both were in the showroom today, which would you choose? Probably the xi I bet. As for people's opinions, I can't come to a conclusion. Some say they're fine with winter tires and others say they still don't feel safe. Remember, American winters are much different than Canadian winters. I have a strong urge to buy, but I must fight to hold out until October. At least then, if I don't like the xi, the i will be still there waiting. In the end it's your call. Let me know how you do.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Lost

Mein Auto: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
The A4 B7 sales are not good. Less than last year and it is not a supply issue.
I actually think the nose works ok on all the other models (A3, A6, A8) but looks to stubby on the A4. I have seen some pics of S4's with the center piece and the chrome surround painted and its a BIG improvement. That S4 V8 makes some GREAT sounds though!!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Edmunds just did a comparo of the E90 330i versus the A4 2.0T.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106052

Quote:
Honestly, as wonderful as both cars are, choosing between the two wasn't as hard as we thought it would be. The BMW proved to be superior in nearly every way. Sure, it's a good bit more expensive, but it's also faster, it handles better, has superior brakes, is roomier and, to our eyes, is more attractive.

The Audi's lower price point, high content and finer interior appointments kept it close, but the new BMW 3 Series is without question the king of the sport sedans. As good as the 2005 Audi A4 is, the 2006 BMW 330i, is unequivocally better.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Militant Audi A4 Owners of America.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH
Edmunds just did a comparo of the E90 330i versus the A4 2.0T...
But that's not really a fair comparison. Should really be 325i vs A4 2.0T.

Ed
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 325i
I don't think that would change the outcome...
Old 06-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Deburn

Mein Auto: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia90
Saury, you are in the exact predicament as I am. I too am looking at buying one of the two cars. I am leaning toward the bmw because I do still think it is a higher quality car. Living in Canada, believe me, I experience much more severe driving conditions than any American. So, I have asked many people and I get mixed reviews. Some say the RWD is fine as long as you have winter tires on it. Others say it's a nightmare because you get stuck easily. Stability control does nothing when you're stuck in a standstill position. Also, many say the BMWxi's are not like real BMW's because it takes away from the driving feel. My sense tells me the Audi quattro is better in the winter, but my heart wants the BMW. I figure, for a $3000 option of AWD, I'm going with the BMWxi. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out until October and I'm dying to get into one for the summer. I hope I can make it to October. Some good deals on the 1.8T Audi are really starting to pop up. I like the body on the 1.8T better than that of the 2.0T. But that's a whole new discussion. I am so confused!!!!
I used to drive a 1.8T MT. I liked the car a lot and it was good during the winter (I live in Boston) with regular tires. What I really disliked about it was the engine - 1st and 2nd gear suck big time. My next car was a 325xi and after that I swore I'd never get another 4 cylinder. Nevertheless, the lease on my xi is coming to an end and I did check out the A4 because the new 2.0 is getting good reviews. I didnt like it much and I also had a very negative experience with Audi of America earlier.

Long story short I just signed up for a 2006 325 MT and I'm wondering whether I shoudld get the SP
Old 06-18-2005, 06:36 PM

Yeah, you should. Just my two cents...
Old 06-18-2005, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 3251
So tell me deburn, how was the xi in the winter? Do I need it living in Canada and all or would the 325i be good enough with winter tires. By the way, I've decided against the Audi. I test drove them both and the bmw is ten times the car.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:57 AM

I'm also from Canada and had no serious problem in the past 5 years with winter tires. I'm in the Montréal area, we don't get as much snow as in Québec city or in more northern regions, but we do get a good deal of snow every year anyways... Snow tires with traction-control (To be disabled when trying to start from an icy spot sometimes) did the job just fine.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Deburn

Italia90 The xi was good enough in winter without changing the tires. Dnot know which part of Canada youre in but We get a lot of snow in Boston.

For my e90 I've heard both that I need winter tires and that I can get away without them as long as I dont get the SP. If I do get the SP then winter tires are mandatory.

Wolf359 what in your opinion are the pros and cons of the SP? I'm not sure if I can change my order at this time; still could I guess since the order just went in; but wondering how much difference the SP would make.

I love driving around corners and trying to take them as fast as i can but i dont consider my self a pro like some of the other posters seem to be - driving 9/10ths and all that. Appreciate your perspective

Quote:
So tell me deburn, how was the xi in the winter? Do I need it living in Canada and all or would the 325i be good enough with winter tires. By the way, I've decided against the Audi. I test drove them both and the bmw is ten times the car.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Deburn

That's great, welcome to the club!

Quote:
Old 06-19-2005, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deburn
Wolf359 what in your opinion are the pros and cons of the SP? I'm not sure if I can change my order at this time; still could I guess since the order just went in; but wondering how much difference the SP would make.
Pros:
- Better handling in corners, or emergency lane-change manoeuvers.
- Sport seats are gorgeous and the side bolsters really hold you well into fast corners.
- A low-stance car is just better looking and you get bigger wheels too.
- Stiffer (Good for "reading" the road surface).

Cons:
- The car is lower, watch-out for cement walkways when parking, if you don't want to hear a scraping sound that is not too pleasing to the ear.
- When there is a lot of snow, you may end-up pushing a bit of it with the front bumper.
- Stiffer (Comfort - I know it is in the pros and cons, that depends on people's perspective).

Winter tires are mandatory - My own opinion is here in Canada, whatever setup you end up with (Even an xi), winter tires are a must, unless you store the car for the entire winter. 4WD will give you better traction but you won't end up braking any faster, and that is where winter tires are important.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Deburn

Wolf359, thanks for the info. I'm sticking with the regular suspension. The SP sounds like something I would like but I didnt leave myself much time to evaluate all these options. My current lease ends in a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Pros:
- Better handling in corners, or emergency lane-change manoeuvers.
- Sport seats are gorgeous and the side bolsters really hold you well into fast corners.
- A low-stance car is just better looking and you get bigger wheels too.
- Stiffer (Good for "reading" the road surface).

Cons:
- The car is lower, watch-out for cement walkways when parking, if you don't want to hear a scraping sound that is not too pleasing to the ear.
- When there is a lot of snow, you may end-up pushing a bit of it with the front bumper.
- Stiffer (Comfort - I know it is in the pros and cons, that depends on people's perspective).

Winter tires are mandatory - My own opinion is here in Canada, whatever setup you end up with (Even an xi), winter tires are a must, unless you store the car for the entire winter. 4WD will give you better traction but you won't end up braking any faster, and that is where winter tires are important.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
Edmunds comparo only got 6.6secs for 0-60mph for the 330i... that can't be right, can it?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:00 PM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsf
Edmunds comparo only got 6.6secs for 0-60mph for the 330i... that can't be right, can it?
That does sound a bit high.

But does 0-60 really matter?
moonroof:
Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325it / 5sp
No, 0-60 is the best measure, but it is one measure and they should definitely have a faster 0-60 than the E46.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
No, 0-60 is the best measure
Ha ha ha

Oh, typo, right?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 AM

Car and driver dit it in 5.6 seconds.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325ic
Those who know...drive Quattro!
Old 07-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by saury316
Got the 325i in Jet Black (was on a extremely tight budget...so metallic was not an option)
-Black Leatherette
-Steptronic
-Cold Weather Package
-BMW Assist
-iDrive with Navigation
-Power seats w/memory
-Park Distance Control
-Aluminium Trim
-Sat Prep (dealer threw in for free)
Final Price = $36000 plus tax (7%) and plates ($150).
This is slightly more than what others quoted me (by like 100-200 dollars) but this dealer is really close to where I stay, and offered to store my tires for me when I switch to winter tires.
Wait a second...tight budget yet you got cold weather, navi, bmw assist and automatic? WTF?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
Get the AWD version{xi} of the 3 series if you go with the BMW

The Audi quattro system is the better AWD system. I have had 3 Audi A4 quattros with All Seasons and they were flawless in the snow. You do not want to have a rear wheel drive car in the snow. The BMW does shine in dry weather and I am sure the upcoming xi versions will be great. Currently, I have an X3 3.0 and it is great in snow but it is not as seamless as the quattro. If I were you I woulld skip the parking nanny- these are smallish cars and you can see the ends. Make sure to get the adaptive xenions! Goodluck!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:06 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Cool

Quote:
No, 0-60 is the best measure, but it is one measure and they should definitely have a faster 0-60 than the E46.
I think that C&D'S 5-60mph is a better measure.

BTW in the snow, RWD 3-series with winter tires, traction control and ESP is just fine. What do you think? That all northern RWD owners are masochists?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325ic
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor
I think that C&D'S 5-60mph is a better measure.

BTW in the snow, RWD 3-series with winter tires, traction control and ESP is just fine. What do you think? That all northern RWD owners are masochists?
I think the question was which system is best, not who's kinkier. Those who know...drive quattro.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335i; RX 350 (wife's)
I only read the first page of the thread, so I apologize if there's been something posted subsequently that makes this irrelevant.

Another vote for getting dedicated snow tires. I have two sets of tires for both of my cars which just happen to be a 2000 328Ci and a 2000 A4 1.8T.

If you insist that you really don't have room for snow tires and Pittsburgh gets a fair bit of snow then it's really simple, go for the Audi.

We get very little snow in Vancouver and when we do I see all sorts of RWD cars with half worn (or more) A/S tires that are struggling for grip on surfaces that must be no more than a 1% or 2% grade.

Incidently we bought both of our cars used in the winter. The A4 had SUMMER only tires and we got caught in the snow with them. You can get going no problem at all even with summer tires with the advantage of Quattro, now turning and stopping are a different ballgame and yes you need at least an A/S tire and you have to lengthen your stopping and slowning down distances accordingly.

The BMW had A/S tires that were about 70% worn when I bought the car and it struggled more than the Audi with summers in the snow for grip, even with the ASC.

We get a lot of rain here in Vancouver and the Quattro is a definite advantage in the rain.

Now if you do find room for a second set of tires and have dedicated snows, then you'll be absolutely fine with the BMW in the snow.

This being a BMW board I'm sure you'll get a strong BMW bias here. If you post this same question on an Audi board, you'll get a strong Audi bias.

I suppose another question I'd have for you is how aggressively do you drive normally? If you're a fairly aggressive driver then I'd say you'll be happier with the BMW, if not and snow and wet traction are bigger concerns then I'd say go for the Audi. Well it's not that simple, but those are two of the indicators that would push you one way or the other. You really have to ask yourself how will you use the two cars and what suits you better.

One thing I've noticed is that the trunk on the 3 Series is significantly smaller than in the A4. So much so that in some instances we just leave the BMW at home and take the Audi, due to the difference in trunk space.

Send me a pm if you have any further questions. There probably aren't a lot of people who own variants of both cars you're looking at, so I think I could provide a little more objective point of view.