Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A6
First Sighting-ugh

I have seen and test driven a 330i, and was only marginally impressed (actually drove an Audi A4 3.2 the same day and preferred it, but don't like the new look) however I'm loooking for a change (2 audi A6's in a row)and was hoping the e90 would be the answer (have had several Bimmers in the past)

Although the e90 was introduced over a month ago, I had yet to see one on the road until today. Cars often look different in a showroom/car lot setting than they do out on the road among other vehicles. I have had a hard time warming up to the e90's looks as well, especially from the rear (and the interior) and was hoping for a better on-the-road look, but didn't find it.

Hopefully the Touring will be better, but I'm not holding my breath. Finding the styling of both Audis and Bimmers unsatifactory, and not being a Mercedes fan I'm looking for alternatives, but finding few. I need a certain amount of trunk space, which eliminates a TT, MINI or a Mustang GT Convertible (no sunroof available on th HT) and don't want an SUV....and while I've owned a couple, just detest the idea of a Japanese car.

Ideas??
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Well, I don't know what you want us to say. You disqualify all the German brands, along with all the Japanese, and no one would seriously suggest an American car (except the Mustang, which you also don't want).

It sounds like you're going to have to compromise somewhere. What problem do you have with Mercedes?

EDIT: Buy a new E46 coupe. They have only slightly less trunk space (with fold-down seats) as the sedan.

Also, you can see photos of the E90 touring on GermanCarFans.com, if you're curious about the looks.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Try an e46 M3, or a used e39 M5. That'll do ya.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
What about Volvo or SAAB then? (just kidding!)

I felt the same way as you but I went ahead and bought the e90 anyway. It has other ways of impressing other than the looks!

I am usually an Audi guy, but I also was not too thrilled by the B7 styling. I have found, however, that over the past few months, the e90 and the B7 have been growing on me, and the e46 and B6 are starting to look "old" to me. I can tell you that the e90 is very functional, and the trunk is big enough now, unlike the e46 which I thought had too small a trunk.

When I left my car at the airport on Tuesday, as I was walking away from the car I looked back at it and it was the first time it looked really beautiful to me! It's funny how the perception changes after you realize how good something is.

It's kind of like this for me... I don't think that my wife is the most beautiful woman in the world based solely on looks. Don't get me wrong, she is beautiful physically, but maybe not the most beautiful woman in the world when it comes to only looks. But to me, taken as a whole, she is the most perfect and beautiful woman there is in the world. No other woman in the world could take me away from her. After driving my 330i for the past 2 weeks, I am starting to forget that I liked the way the Audi looked better.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
Dodge Magnum
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A6
Avlys---I find the Mercs to be uninspiring to drive...I must admit the CLK is a goodlooking car, but at near 50k for the way I would want one, its too many $'s.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Yeah. You know at the end of the day it's a 4 door sedan. No kid ever sat through 5th period math drawing pictures of a 4 door sedan. I think it is a pretty car, others disagree and I can see where they are coming from. I just canít get too bent out of shape about every line and curve.

I bought my Z3 based almost 100% on looks but now I am at a point in my life where I need 4 doors and a decent size trunk so I have to compromise. Design is compromise. Somebody made an artistic choice based partially on composition and form and partially based on how many golf bags would fit in the trunk and where to put the air bags. For some people it is too modern but folks are always going to fear change. I have nothing but fond memories of the ascetics of my 79 320i but that's not what I want my car to look like today. I was wearing parachute pants at the time. If you take the nostalgia stuff to far you end up with something that looks cool for 5 mins and looks really silly after a year (pt cruiser anyone?). I really think th3 E90 is a good design compromise, it doesn't wow me every time I see it, but no 4 door ever has.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by will-san
I have nothing but fond memories of the ascetics of my 79 320i but that's not what I want my car to look like today. I was wearing parachute pants at the time.
That's hilarious!! Me too! Great observation!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 325 (2006) - FIAT spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz
I have seen and test driven a 330i, and was only marginally impressed (actually drove an Audi A4 3.2 the same day and preferred it, but don't like the new look) however I'm loooking for a change (2 audi A6's in a row)and was hoping the e90 would be the answer (have had several Bimmers in the past)

Although the e90 was introduced over a month ago, I had yet to see one on the road until today. Cars often look different in a showroom/car lot setting than they do out on the road among other vehicles. I have had a hard time warming up to the e90's looks as well, especially from the rear (and the interior) and was hoping for a better on-the-road look, but didn't find it.

Hopefully the Touring will be better, but I'm not holding my breath. Finding the styling of both Audis and Bimmers unsatifactory, and not being a Mercedes fan I'm looking for alternatives, but finding few. I need a certain amount of trunk space, which eliminates a TT, MINI or a Mustang GT Convertible (no sunroof available on th HT) and don't want an SUV....and while I've owned a couple, just detest the idea of a Japanese car.

Ideas??
New Maserati Quattroporte?