Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: A piece of junk
E90 vs Z4

It's been so long that I have been waiting to order my E90 that I am starting to second guess myself. I've been looking at other cars to make sure I am choosing the right one. I looked at BMW's site and they have a lease offer for $359 for a Z4 2.5i.
http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/Z4/25....htm?PanelID=4

Does that sound like a good deal? Thoughts?

Last edited by gsko; 06-09-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2005, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i on order
Dunno about whether its a good deal or not, but test drive both of them back to back. I keep second-guessing myself on whether I should have ordered a 330i sedan or gone for a completely impractical car like a C6 corvette or porsche boxter. I guess I'll never have a good answer other than having recently decided that I'm going to own one of each at some point. Now is my BMW 330i time. A few years down the line, who knows what I'll be driving.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I am coming off a Z3 and was looking at a z4 pretty seriously before going with a 330i. I love my Z3 but it has the folowing major set backs:

2 seater
very small trunk
plastic rear window
crappy build quality (mechanics are good, but it rattles and squeeks and plastic parts fall off)
Terrible Audio
No roll bars
wimpy engine

The Z4 fixes most of these issues but it pays a price. it handles more like a sedan. There is a little tiny sports car feel in the Z3 that is missing on the Z4. Its just not as much fun to drive. It is so much heavier and just doesn't feel like my little sports car any more. I went with a 330i because it is almost as much fun to drive as the z4 but it has a ton more room and lots of cool bells and whistles.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by will-san
I am coming off a Z3 and was looking at a z4 pretty seriously before going with a 330i. I love my Z3 but it has the folowing major set backs:

2 seater
very small trunk
plastic rear window
crappy build quality (mechanics are good, but it rattles and squeeks and plastic parts fall off)
Terrible Audio
No roll bars
wimpy engine

The Z4 fixes most of these issues but it pays a price. it handles more like a sedan. There is a little tiny sports car feel in the Z3 that is missing on the Z4. Its just not as much fun to drive. It is so much heavier and just doesn't feel like my little sports car any more. I went with a 330i because it is almost as much fun to drive as the z4 but it has a ton more room and lots of cool bells and whistles.
Don't know where you're coming from with that one, the Z4 is MARGINALLY heavier than its Z3 counterparts, the Z4 3.0L is like 25lbs heavier than the Z3 3.0L.

And if you mean the Z4's advance suspension makes it handle like an E46 with advance suspension tuning, then I'll agree. I took the Z4 to Buttonwillow Raceway a month ago, and it is by a very far and wide margin the best handling BMW ever built. I can't even begin to imagine how that last statement can be true. I went from a Z3 1.9L to an E46 323Ci and then the Z4...The E46 chassis pales in comparison to the E85. It took me adding springs, shocks/struts, sways, uprated control arms, and urethane bushings to make the E46 even remotely close to what the E85 is capable of.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Yeah... I don't disagree. I probably should have avoided the term "handeling". My reaction is viseral rather than technical. the Z3 just has an old school roadster feel (like an MG or something) that IMHO is diminished on the Z4. it is not that the Z3 handeling is better it's just diffrent in a slighly more seat of your pats kind of way. I also went from my 1.8L Z3 to the 3.0L Z4 so the weight difference was greater. But I wasn't really talking about weight in a techical way. the Z4 just feels more firmly connected to the ground where as there is ocasionally a feeling in the Z3 that gravity might fail. I am not knocking the Z4, its a great car (which I seriously considered buying) and a huge improvement over the Z3, it's just a more refined experience, and once I started down that path I ended up at the E90 instead.

The other, and probaly most compeling thing that tiped the scale from Z4 to 330 was the ability to do Euro delivery.....16 days and counting.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by will-san
Yeah... I don't disagree. I probably should have avoided the term "handeling". My reaction is viseral rather than technical. the Z3 just has an old school roadster feel (like an MG or something) that IMHO is diminished on the Z4. it is not that the Z3 handeling is better it's just diffrent in a slighly more seat of your pats kind of way. I also went from my 1.8L Z3 to the 3.0L Z4 so the weight difference was greater. But I wasn't really talking about weight in a techical way. the Z4 just feels more firmly connected to the ground where as there is ocasionally a feeling in the Z3 that gravity might fail. I am not knocking the Z4, its a great car (which I seriously considered buying) and a huge improvement over the Z3, it's just a more refined experience, and once I started down that path I ended up at the E90 instead.

The other, and probaly most compeling thing that tiped the scale from Z4 to 330 was the ability to do Euro delivery.....16 days and counting.
Agree 100% wrt roaster feel. The Z3 window sills were much lowe, allowing you to sit or feel like you are sitting higher in the cockpit. In the Z4 you feel like you're sitting in a bathtub with your head barely sticking above the edge of the tub (and I'm a fairly tall guy...5'11)
Old 06-10-2005, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 328Ci Bright Red
I finally had a chance to drive the Z4 this week at a Komen event at BMW Santa Barbara, and a stock Z4 3.0 is so much better than my slightly modified E46 328 (H&R sport springs, Bilstein sport shocks, and UUC sways) in terms of handling in terms of grip, usability, and predictability. The only gripe I had with it was the steering wheel would suddenly weight up at the beginning of some turns. A Z4 with an M engine could easily be the fastest car BMW's made so far.

--Andre