Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Funny Door Lock Problem...

so here's the situation...i came home from work today no problems, had to run out for some errands about an hour later...go down to the car, use the key to unlock remotely (like usual), i heard the noise but the button didn't pop up...i pushed the unlock on the key again, passenger side unlocks....use the key to lock both doors again, no problem, both lock...try it remotely one more time, same thing...but using the key to manually unlock the door works...once inside i try the lock button, passenger side locks but driver's doesn't...what gives? any ideas?
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2005, 07:00 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Sounds like whatever linkage is setup from the lock actuator to the pin in the door is loose. I haven't seen the parts myself, but I'm assuming there's a device that push/pulls an arm or something which operates the lock pin.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 06-10-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
Sounds like whatever linkage is setup from the lock actuator to the pin in the door is loose. I haven't seen the parts myself, but I'm assuming there's a device that push/pulls an arm or something which operates the lock pin.
that's what i thought, but that doesn't make sense because it unlocks if you use the key manually or if you use the handle from the inside. also it locks itself remotely but not with the button from the inside? so i'm not sure that it's a mechanical linkage...
Old 06-10-2005, 08:26 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Unlocking with the key probably goes through a different linkage, more direct I would think. About the console lock button vs. the remote though, is that consistent? Does locking with the console button never work or was it random, like the linkage or actuator works some of the time?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 06-11-2005, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53
Unlocking with the key probably goes through a different linkage, more direct I would think. About the console lock button vs. the remote though, is that consistent? Does locking with the console button never work or was it random, like the linkage or actuator works some of the time?
yup it's consistent...locking with the console button won't lock the driver's door, but the key will lock both.

i guess i'll have to take it in to the dealer?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: '01 330Ci
I have the same exact problem, only for the passenger side. Reading up on this in the Bentley manual, it says there's 2 locking methods our cars use. 1. is using the console button (same as if your car is programmed to lock after 5+ mph) 2. is using the remote key and/or manually locking with the key. This explains why locking with the console button doesn't work while your key might.

This still doesn't explain what's wrong. Is it a motor malfunctioning, has it something to do with the programming, etc.

Anyone else have any insight?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:24 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
My 03 330i does this all the time. I have no desire to have the dealer fiddle with the electronics (don't trust dealers and german cars with electrical problems) on the car and thus just live with it. Sometimes I approach the car, click unlock and maybe the driver's door will unlock. Sometimes no door will unlock. I an still get in with a key. When this happens, even if I press the door lock button on the console, the doors will remain locked.

Life with a German car. It's still a far sight better than my old Jetta which would lock down, shut off and sound the alarm with me in the car.