Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-11-2005, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Red face Yet another bluetooth question +wireless bonus question

I'm sorry if this question has been asked and addressed, but I didn't see this situation.

We have a 2004 325xi and it came Bluetooth ready - like many we were told that we could either have Bluetooth or Assist, and I understand that we could buy a newer module (2005) that allows both. Our steering wheel has a button that I've seen represented as the synching button - when we press it, you can hear a phone dialing, and I've always assumed this was somehow related to the Assist function - however, nothing ever happens. Recently, we let our Assist expire, and now when you press it we get a message that we're connecting to Verizon, but the phone is not recognized (further supporting this).

As a side story, one day my wife and I were driving somewhere, when suddenly the radio muted, and we heard a phone ringing through the speaker. After a moment of surprise, I pressed the phone button on the steering wheel (I think that's the one at least) and said hello. Then someone on the other end asked for someone as if they were calling someone's home. We stammered that they must have the wrong number, and seconds after they hung up we were kicking ourselves for not asking them to tell us the number they dialed (how cool would it be to be able to receive calls this way!?!)

With the owner's manual, there is a bluetooth card with some serial number information, so I'm pretty sure the module is already installed, but haven't been able to figure out how to test synching it with my BT phone. We do not have the navigation option, however.

I've talked to our local dealer a couple times about it, but never found anyone there that seemed knowledgeable or that I trusted their answer. These are the people that quoted me 2.5 hours to install the aux audio in cable - following DIY instructions I found here, I did it in less than half an hour (and half of that was worrying that I'd break the trim piece that pulls out). I've also had my car in twice for a leaking windshieldwiper fluid reservoir (found good advice in the forums I'm going to research) and for a problem with the car (automatic) starting in second or a higher gear - I commonly have to pop over to the manual mode and downshift, to get going well. They aren't fixing the problems and my confidence in this dealer is at close to zero with basic things.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is it likely that we have what we need in the car already to support Bluetooth if we don't use the Assist feature (i.e., is it a cable switch). If so, can someone tell me how I can either swith the cables, if necessary, determine if this is the case, or test synching my phone.

2) The car clearly has a built in cell phone that's set up to work with Verizon - and my cell service is with Verizon. Is it possible for us to "tune" our account to work with this built in phone?

3) I live in Northern Va, so if anyone has a good contact for someone at a BMW dealer who is knowledgeable on these things, I'd love to hear about it.

4) I've seen references in the forums to a company that used to sell the BT parts, but that they are no longer in business (I forget the company). If I do need a different part to BT enable the car, can someone tell me exactly what I'd need, and where we could order it from?

5) Finally, I've seen references to needing to get BMW to disable the Assist feature in the car - is that absolutely necessary, or is there a DIY way to do this?
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
If you had BMW Assist, you have a built in CDMA wireless transceiver, but it is NOT BT. The phone numbers used in the Assist services are preprogrammed and there is no input interface for you to use the built in phone even if you had an active wireless account.

Since you did not subscribe to Assist (after the first year), why not remove the Assist unit and install the BMW BT ULF? Once the Assist module is removed, the BT kit can be installed because they use the same wiring.

Regards...JL
Old 06-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreeden
So, here are my questions:

1) Is it likely that we have what we need in the car already to support Bluetooth if we don't use the Assist feature (i.e., is it a cable switch). If so, can someone tell me how I can either swith the cables, if necessary, determine if this is the case, or test synching my phone.

2) The car clearly has a built in cell phone that's set up to work with Verizon - and my cell service is with Verizon. Is it possible for us to "tune" our account to work with this built in phone?

3) I live in Northern Va, so if anyone has a good contact for someone at a BMW dealer who is knowledgeable on these things, I'd love to hear about it.

4) I've seen references in the forums to a company that used to sell the BT parts, but that they are no longer in business (I forget the company). If I do need a different part to BT enable the car, can someone tell me exactly what I'd need, and where we could order it from?

5) Finally, I've seen references to needing to get BMW to disable the Assist feature in the car - is that absolutely necessary, or is there a DIY way to do this?
1) Not possible, sorry.

2) No, a lot of forum members have tried that to no avail. I guess that the production date of your car is between 09/03 and 02/04 since so far this is the only period that the Assist TCU could receive phone calls AFAIK; there was a TCU change in 03/04 that somehow disabled this uncommon feature. Your Assist telephone number should be your MIN# in the pairing card.

3) Sorry, I'm from Florida... however, all your questions can be answered here.

4) I guess that that company was www.BMWNav.com... the one that currently sells BT kits is http://www.advancedautovations.com/e460402.html

5) You have two options, one that keeps your Assist and the other that do not: you can get the newest Assist TCU from 2005 that includes Assist, Bluetooth and a limited Voice Command feature (for the phone only) or get the separate BT ULF module (with full Voice Command, for Nav and phone) in the link above which will eliminate the Assist capability from your car. Either option will replace your current TCU.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 Conv
Any recommendations for upgrading an 89 M3 to play MP3 or receive blue tooth signal from my cell phone?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by browns3822
Any recommendations for upgrading an 89 M3 to play MP3 or receive blue tooth signal from my cell phone?
Is it really an '89 M3 or a '99 M3? Your vehicle info says that you have a E36 M3...

If you have an '89 M3 your best solution to connect a MP3 player is to get an aftermarket headunit with either built in controls for an iPod or an AUX connection. For a '99 M3 there is an iPod adapter for your OEM headunit called ice>Link that you can install in your car with full control of your player; you can find it at www.densionusa.com or at Best Buy.

If you want an universal AUX jack for any MP3 player you can get one of those Soundgate or Peripheral CD Changer adapters that also include an AUX jack. Of course, you can always replace your OEM headunit with an aftermarket one that have all these toys built in with much better sound performance to boot.

For Bluetooth your only route is aftermarker for either '89 M3 or '99 E36 M3. Something like these kits: http://www.behandsfree.com/category.aspx?categoryID=1
Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
For a '99 M3 there is an iPod adapter for your OEM headunit called ice>Link that you can install in your car with full control of your player; you can find it at www.densionusa.com or at Best Buy.
Or eas!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Old 01-07-2006, 12:02 PM

you're right, its a 98 (dyslexia?)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM

THanks! I will look into that.

any good way to mount the iPOD in the center console (where the cup holders are?)

Doesw the connection kit work with non-iPODs (like the creative WMA players)?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:22 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by browns3822
THanks! I will look into that.

any good way to mount the iPOD in the center console (where the cup holders are?)

Doesw the connection kit work with non-iPODs (like the creative WMA players)?
The most popular places are in the sunglass holder or the glovebox - out of sight. I haven't heard of anyone putting the iPod in the cupholders of an e36 yet.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 320ci
Bluetooth result for Nokia 6230i

I read as much as possible in regards to what I was going to get myself into. I own a new 320ci 2005 - E46. It has bluetooth, and my 02 xda mini, connects with no issues - however I am only able to send/receive calls connected via bluetooth - there is not phone book connectivity. My wife who owns a Nokia 6230i (approved by the BMW list of mobile phones) successfully connected (via Bluetooth) and has access to Phone (send/receive - via the control panel and steering wheel), SMS (receive and read via the controls of the car). There are no issues regarding reception - it might have something to do with the area, that some of the forum posters are complaining about - in regards to reception. I have not installed the inhouse car kit - allowing for charging - as I find that all required functionality - is catered for the Nokia in the bluetooth connection.

Issues that I have seen in the last week or so.. Car is only able to connect to one phone at a time - when both my wife (her Nokia 6230i) and myself (O2 xda mini) are in the car, the car's bluetooth makes connection with one of the phones.. (usually the first one in, or the one with the strongest signal) - Has anyone else found that this is a common occurence? - Should the system be able to connect to more than one device at the same time?

Any comments would be appreciated.. I have been bluetoothed mad over the last couple of weeks and can relate to the stories of the forum posters..
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 320ci
O2XDA mini support for BMW bluetooth

When, oh when, will there be support for my O2xda mini via Bluetooth.
Why is it not so simple to make a few changes to the source code, to accept newer types of phone support? If anyone has any information on this topic, please submit a response..
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ima...ursin.gif:mad:
Old 01-21-2006, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci
Tom, what is the difference in the Ice link and the BMW Ipod kit? I just installed bluetooth and the BMW Ipod kit and I'm already bored with the BMW Ipod kit because I never know the artist or the song title.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas mike
Tom, what is the difference in the Ice link and the BMW Ipod kit? I just installed bluetooth and the BMW Ipod kit and I'm already bored with the BMW Ipod kit because I never know the artist or the song title.
Quite a few differences:

1) ID3 information on the screen - the ice>Link Plus will display Artist/Song information
2) Charging control - you have the option of turning on/off charging via the settings.
3) Song display is on BOTH the iPod and radio screen so you will always know ehat track you are on.
4) You have the option of booting into iPod or Dension UI mode, iPod mode will allow control of your iPod buttons as well.

Feel free to email me directly and I can send out our BMW Supplement that will explain the kits in further detail.