Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-13-2005, 02:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to smokinlu
Mein Auto: BMW 330ci
Satellite Radio In Europe

I'm here in beautiful Germany with my new '05 330ci where it belongs, on the Autobahn. I love it, which of course is a difficult thing to do because every time I see a nik or a scratch my heart breaks But my issue is that I want the satellite radio upgrade (satellite radio is addictive!!!), but apparently it is not available in Europe...yet. Anyone know when? And why the location issue? I also heard that if I get a nav system installed in Europe the GPS won't work in the US, despite what the dealer told me. I thought a satellite is a satellite is a satellite?
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2005, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinlu
I'm here in beautiful Germany with my new '05 330ci where it belongs, on the Autobahn. I love it, which of course is a difficult thing to do because every time I see a nik or a scratch my heart breaks But my issue is that I want the satellite radio upgrade (satellite radio is addictive!!!), but apparently it is not available in Europe...yet. Anyone know when? And why the location issue? I also heard that if I get a nav system installed in Europe the GPS won't work in the US, despite what the dealer told me. I thought a satellite is a satellite is a satellite?

The two major satellite radio companies are focusing on South America next, but I am sure eueope will get sat radio at some point...I would say it would be several years through.

Can't speak to the nav
Old 06-13-2005, 05:29 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Quote:
I'm here in beautiful Germany with my new '05 330ci where it belongs, on the Autobahn. I love it, which of course is a difficult thing to do because every time I see a nik or a scratch my heart breaks
Cheer up. Living in Germany, you can expect to get much fewer parking dings and scratches which are the real heart breakers. The Autobahnen are also kept pretty clean. I find the car suffers considerably fewer stone strikes per kilometer driven there than on slower roads in some other countries.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
I also heard that if I get a nav system installed in Europe the GPS won't work in the US, despite what the dealer told me. I thought a satellite is a satellite is a satellite?
Change the DVD from Europe to the USA and you will be good...
Old 06-24-2005, 07:29 AM

Great answer from "Jconley." I did not know South America is next on the list before Europe. Regarding the Nav...using the Europe DVD instead of the U.S. one, I heard that does not work (from my mechanic who said he had a customer that had his bimmer with nav shipped to Europe). Instead I bought Tom Tom 3 Software and a GPS (bundled from Dell) for my PDA. It's awesome! As good if not better then the one I used in a Mercedes when I had it as a rental. And I can take it in any car. If anyone has any better news about Satellite Radio in Europe, please let me know.

Regards,
Lucian
Old 06-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Great answer from "Jconley." I did not know South America is next on the list before Europe. Regarding the Nav...using the Europe DVD instead of the U.S. one, I heard that does not work (from my mechanic who said he had a customer that had his bimmer with nav shipped to Europe). Instead I bought Tom Tom 3 Software and a GPS (bundled from Dell) for my PDA. It's awesome! As good if not better then the one I used in a Mercedes when I had it as a rental. And I can take it in any car. If anyone has any better news about Satellite Radio in Europe, please let me know.

Regards,
Lucian
From http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/...y/dropoff.htm:

Quote:
Navigation:
If you have Navigation on your new BMW, when you return to the United States, your BMW will arrive with a DVD map for your area. But while in Europe, you will need a Europe map and it can be purchased before you leave by calling 1-888-628-6277. If your car is a 3, 5 or 6 Series, you will need to order the DVD Professional for All Europe. If you are purchasing a 7 Series, you will need the HIGH DVD version. The cost per DVD is $165, plus shipping and tax and it will be delivered directly to your specified U.S. address.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
USC Yque

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Who cares about the sateliite radio!!!!!!!!!!

We need to see pictures of your 330ci in the Fatherland!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
I had the same questions....

-- Everyone I talked to assured me that all you have to do is switch out the DVD and the NAV will work fine in the states. I have a buddy of mine who is on his way back to the states w/ a NAV BMW. If I hear different....I'll be sure to post.

-- No satelite radio here at all. At first I wondered...but then I realized....not much demand for radio in English here (US music yes.....English language...no). However...the quesiton is...why don't they have satelite radio here w/ German, French, and Spanish?.. Who knows. This part of Europe isn't as technalogically advanced as everyone might think. I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing satelite anytime soon here......
Old 06-25-2005, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
But my issue is that I want the satellite radio upgrade (satellite radio is addictive!!!), but apparently it is not available in Europe...yet. Anyone know when? And why the location issue? I also heard that if I get a nav system installed in Europe the GPS won't work in the US, despite what the dealer told me. I thought a satellite is a satellite is a satellite?
Even if satellite radio were available in Europe that does not mean you would have access it. It is a pay service. Here in the States I have satellite radio but it does not mean I can access to all satellite radio. I am XM radio subscriber which does not give me access to Sirius radio. I do not see either XM or Sirius offering their services abroad with identical programming as here in the States even if they were licensed to do so. Many of the channels are only of interest to people here in the States.

Regarding satellite radio coverage. The satellites are geostationary which means that they basically sit in the same positon over the Earth and beam their signal to a particular location on Earth. They are not big transmisssion towers sending their signal in all directions. XM radio signal is not available in Hawaii or Alaska. In Canada and Mexico the signal is only available in areas close to the border.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:35 AM

Satellite radio is awesome, don't knock it until you tried it! Pictures of my 330ci in the fatherland are coming. My Swiss girlfriend is visiting next week (does she love me only for my Bimmer?) and I think that my girl will look infinately sexier with her posed next to it. Being that its not an M3 or ZHP, it needs the added sex appeal (not really)!
Old 06-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540i, Dakar, 328i
Sirius is planning to invade the European market in 2007-2008.