Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Title Unavailable

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Unhappy Dealer service probs, any tips on how to resolve?

Took the car in for a few problems, the first time I've taken it in.

I had three concerns:

Wheel allignment, Oily fluid on the undercarriage only on the drivers side (not cosmoline), and I needed the keys programmed and the alarm activated.

I called at 1:30, car not done, called at 4:45 car not done (promised at 5pm) will be done at 5:30.

Arrived at dealer at 5:15 car out front, unwashed.

Check wheel alignment – 4.5 addtl miles on the odometer. Service rep tells me that they adjusted tire pressure and any wandering was due to road crown. Considering that the car was not washed, and there was no disturbance to the brake dust on my wheels near any of the valve stems, I’m finding it difficult to believe that the tire pressure was checked and even if it was, it wouldn’t have needed adjustment, as I tried adjusting it myself to see if that was the cause of the wandering. (Accutire digital...)My expectation was that I’d get a printout showing the alignment on the car was either within specifications, or outside specifications and corrected.

Fluid leak – I’m unconvinced that the car saw a lift during the visit. Rep says nothing was found but I’m having a hard time believing that a proper review was done.

Program key / car memory and activate alarm system – I did it myself, let me repeat, I did it myself. It was not done at all. Rep apologized and returned with a programming terminal. A driveway attendant was assigned to program the settings. Being that this attendant had not received appropriate training, I was cold standing outside, and late for my birthday dinner with family; I offered to run the terminal myself and was able to navigate through the screens to set the car / key options, but I’m unsure if the alarm is activated correctly. (No staff was available who knew what DWA stood for. Should DWA be On or Off?) But it’s very disappointing when you go to the service department to have your “service” turn into a “do it yourself”.

Sent a fax with the facts as described above to the Service Manager, who has had the fax since 8AM, and got a followup phone message from me at 1:30PM today. Yet no call back.

Suggestions on how to get my car fixed?

Are my expectations out of whack?

Thanks!

Last edited by JT - '02 330i; 01-09-2002 at 08:33 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
Thats the craziest thing I've ever heard!
Old 01-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Title Unavailable

It's a sad story but true. Wish I was posting to be a troll, but it's really the honest truth.

Interesting programming terminal though.

It runs windows (I believe CE or 95) the programming app appears to be a windows app that opens a really clunky window that contains nearly a terminal emulation for programming the car. I was expecting a bit more refined software, lots of back and forth.

DWA? I'm thinking is the alarm system. I got it programmed so it beeps like the alarm is installed but if I put all the windows down, lock, wait 5 min and then lean in and tap the motion sensor no siren goes off.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
Hmm, something does not sound right on the alarm then. When I set mine, in like 30 seconds or so, if I lean in, it goes off. I can't imagine walking in and picking up the stuff and doing it myself, self service for sure..It is sad, sounds pretty ****ty.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323ci
What dealer was this at?

What dealer was this at?......
Old 01-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330ci
Talk to the service manager and tell them you are going to give them a horrible evaluation when the survey people call. Since these evaluations are tied into the dealer's bonuses and allocations (maybe other things too), they MAY try to get things resolved to avoid the bad review. In addition, tell them you are going to notify BMWNA with a copy of the things that you just typed above. I'm pretty sure self-service programming of your car violates some dealer agreements with BMW.

Finally, make sure you never go back to that dealer for service or anything else, which i'm sure you won't. That's completely unacceptable. BTW, which dealer is it (Weatherford?)? I am in the bay area and i want to make sure i avoid them as well!
Old 01-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Title Unavailable

Update:

Had voicemail from Dealer "Special Projects" guy, who was extremely apologetic, and agreed that if I was factual in my statements, it's totally inappropriate service. He's going to do research and call me back later in the day. (he left it late last night on my work voicemail.)

4:30pm no call back yet. Called him and left message. Returns call at 5:30pm.

We chat, summary below:

He's had troubles researching my issue as the service advisor has left the employment of the dealer (no great loss, considering that my service order states "car wonders at freeway speeds" huh?). Technician was off today, and he tried to reach them at home but no luck. He expects to discuss with tech tomorrow.

Promised to do the following:

Call me tomorrow after he talks to the technician, arrange for my car to be picked up from me at work and exchanged with a loaner until they complete the work and then swap them back again. He also noted that he's going to do something special for me as it was my birthday when they dropped the ball on the service visit. (Who knows what, but it's a gesture in the right direction.)

Dealer is Concord BMW, who up to this event had me 100% satisfied. $1500 invoice on a ED 330i.

I'll follow-up with the results of the process. (The history might help others later with their dealer issues.)
Old 01-21-2002, 07:53 PM
Title Unavailable

Car finally done a few days ago.

Special projects guy passed me off to the shop foreman. Who walked me through all the repairs during my lunch. Very personable, and I'm glad it's over.

Took it out for a test drive with me, handling is normal, roads are crappy. Bellypan had no fluid leakage, undercariage had cosmoline on it (suprising considering it was an Euro Delivery that I thought didn't get sprayed with cosmoline). Car settings were re-programmed to activate the alarm. I added in needing to have the brake sensor re-adjusted so that the cruise disengages with less pedal travel, service had to bend the sensor bracket to make it work.

Acknowledged that service advisor was the problem in the service chain. (They've since let him go.)

Special projects guy has yet to follow through on the "something special" regarding my birthday. (Hesitant to call back and ***** about that but, it leave a lingering bad taste.)

BMW NA sent me some email regarding my bimmer.org post regarding the above, and offering to help. I didn't use them as a resource.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:19 PM
•••••••

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Quote:
Originally posted by JT - '02 330i
BMW NA sent me some email regarding my bimmer.org post regarding the above, and offering to help.
Now that is very interesting... and good to hear!
Old 01-22-2002, 01:01 PM
Ex-Neighbor to the American Taliban

Mein Auto: nothing
alarm activation

I vaguely remember reading sometime ago in Bimmer that the alarm could not be activated using the hand held portable computer. Correct me if I am wrong