Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-19-2005, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i Black
Radar Detector brand

Hi Friends,

Any recomendation about radar detector? I am in between Valentine One and Passport X50. Also have anyone here had any idea how to mount it and hard wire so there is no wire dancing around the front of your eyes.

Thanks,

Cubi
Ads by Google
Old 06-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cooper S
Valentine One gets my vote Used it while driving from SF to Seattle alerted me to all radar and laser in Oregon which surprised me since we dont have it CA or I have never encountered one.
Old 06-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks, I will get one oder on monday.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
That was quick! I was actually monitoring the post to see what others had to suggest. Please continue with the feedback.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330I
Well, I also debated for quite a while b/t V1 and X50. I finally bought an x50 at Bestbuy for 270$. So far it works pretty well, but I haven't taken my car on the highway yet, but I will soon. I think for 130 $ less, I can live without the arrows When I hear the beeps, I slow down regardless. However, I don't think you can wrong with either one. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: M3/X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubi
Any recomendation about radar detector? I am in between Valentine One and Passport X50. Also have anyone here had any idea how to mount it and hard wire so there is no wire dancing around the front of your eyes.
i
Absolutely get the Valentine One. No gimmicks and best of all - no tickets!
Old 06-20-2005, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Valentine One, hands down.
Flamenco Red
XM Roady2
Old 06-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
V1 gets my vote too. I have had one for over 6 years and it just plain works. Great coverage, first-class upgrade policy, front and rear coverage - I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:03 PM

Okay, I just order Val1 Radar along with remote display. I pay xtra for shipping so it will be here tomorrow.
Are there anyone here have a picture of where you mount the remote display in your X3 ?
I don't want to plug in my C lighter because of cell charger and also I would like to hard wired so there is no invitation to the theft to broken my windows just to check it out. :-)

Thanks,

Cubi
Old 06-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
Check this link for a step-by-step install. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74858

I have done this for myself and a couple of other X3 owners and it is pretty straight-forward.

Let us know where you decide to put the remote display. I'm still looking for a good spot.

Hope this helps!

TVN
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnunnery
Check this link for a step-by-step install. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74858

I have done this for myself and a couple of other X3 owners and it is pretty straight-forward.

Let us know where you decide to put the remote display. I'm still looking for a good spot.

Hope this helps!

TVN
These are the instructions I followed and it took 10 minutes.

As far as the concealed display, I have it centered between my speedometer and tachometer. My eyes only have to look down to see the needed information.

--Larry
Flamenco Red
XM Roady2
Old 06-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRich
Well, I also debated for quite a while b/t V1 and X50. I finally bought an x50 at Bestbuy for 270$. So far it works pretty well, but I haven't taken my car on the highway yet, but I will soon. I think for 130 $ less, I can live without the arrows ...

Unless you've used V1, you don't know what you're missing
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjin
..... alerted me to all radar and laser in Oregon which surprised me since we dont have it CA or I have never encountered one.
Oh!! yes you do have them in CA, ask me how I know

The I-5 in Oregon is full of radar traps. Especially 65 MPH is the max speed in our state. Lookout for Lidar (Laser radar) trap near Grants Pass You are only allow for 1 traffic school per 3 yrs in our state

After being nailed by Lidar in OR and CA, I got a http://www.lidatek.com for additional protection against Lidar.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 PM

Smile

Okay! This is my report about my new Val 1.
I got it one day after the day that I oder and mount it in the winshield and travel for 3 day I took the trip to Key West in FL and let me tell you the Val 1 is design for the dummy :-) . It have NO button to push and selected such as HWY or City ..etc.. All you have to do is turn it on baby. That it ! just turn it on and the Radar will take care the rest for you. Oh and better yet you don't have to read into small display like other radar at all. Because as I said this Val 1 is design for the dummy, 4 way arrow ! they will tell you Cop in the front, Cop in the back or cop in the side !
The only missing in this radar detector is it did not beep beep to alert me where is hot looking woman about to walk by :-)

Anyway, this is very good product. I love it. Now I just have bring it to the stereo installation shop for them help me to install the hardwire and the conceal display.

Cubi

Last edited by Cubi; 06-24-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
Oh!! yes you do have them in CA, ask me how I know

The I-5 in Oregon is full of radar traps. Especially 65 MPH is the max speed in our state. Lookout for Lidar (Laser radar) trap near Grants Pass You are only allow for 1 traffic school per 3 yrs in our state

After being nailed by Lidar in OR and CA, I got a http://www.lidatek.com for additional protection against Lidar.
So the V-1 is not enough in Oregon? I do a ton of driving between Portland and Orange County, in addition to flying when I can. I usually just stay within 10 on the drive and I am ok, but I'd like to open it up a bit more. I've been strongly considering the V-1 given the local yocals that like to write tickets away from the freeway, but also for that all important commute up and down the 5. I clicked your link. Kind of rich. A package of both would run you $1000 total. Wow. It's worth it under certain circumstances to be sure, but I am hesitant to drop that much down on the deal. I was hoping the V-1 would cover me for most of my commuting needs. Any further thoughts on this? I know you also travel a lot on the same freeways. TIA.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:33 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
So the V-1 is not enough in Oregon? I do a ton of driving between Portland and Orange County, in addition to flying when I can. I usually just stay within 10 on the drive and I am ok, but I'd like to open it up a bit more. I've been strongly considering the V-1 given the local yocals that like to write tickets away from the freeway, but also for that all important commute up and down the 5. I clicked your link. Kind of rich. A package of both would run you $1000 total. Wow. It's worth it under certain circumstances to be sure, but I am hesitant to drop that much down on the deal. I was hoping the V-1 would cover me for most of my commuting needs. Any further thoughts on this? I know you also travel a lot on the same freeways. TIA.
Just be advised... Laser shifter is illegal in CA.... dunno about OR... but if you do get it... don't get caught using it in CA.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 06-25-2005, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I have the Passport 8500 X50 and really like it. It has definitely saved me on several occasions. My only complaint is minor, that there are no arrows to show you direction of the detected signal. However, you can usually figure it out! Things that I like include being able to turn off certain bands (like X-band -- only an annoyance here in CA), LED display dimming and muting, laser detection....Not sure how it compares to a Valentine, but I'm definitely happy with it. It's also very easy to use, no fiddling necessary for first time use. It will auto-detect city or highway, or you can push the button to tell it. I kept it in the stock configuration for several months, only changing to shut off x-band.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Just be advised... Laser shifter is illegal in CA.... dunno about OR... but if you do get it... don't get caught using it in CA.
In all fairness Doe Do you know how it looks like?? You know... the transponters isn't exactly stamped w/ ACME LASER RADAR JAMMER on it and it shuts off/reset after firing.

How many cops do you think knows what to look for and how it looks like.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
Its just a matter of time that you get zapped by a Lidar. The V1 works, but unfortunately the only time it works on a Lidar warning is when the lidar is pointed at you. I dunno which package you where looking at, but what you need is only 1 transponder on front (unless you are driving an big a$$ SUV, in which case you can benefit from 2 transponders). You do not need one from the back as they only set-up lidar trap from an "in-coming" situation. The Lidar must be staionary and hold steady and aimed precisely when fired (this means that it cannot be mobile mounted and approach you from behind).

Do a lil research on this on you will know what i am talking about.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Its just a matter of time that you get zapped by a Lidar. The V1 works, but unfortunately the only time it works on a Lidar warning is when the lidar is pointed at you. I dunno which package you where looking at, but what you need is only 1 transponder on front (unless you are driving an big a$$ SUV, in which case you can benefit from 2 transponders). You do not need one from the back as they only set-up lidar trap from an "in-coming" situation. The Lidar must be staionary and hold steady and aimed precisely when fired (this means that it cannot be mobile mounted and approach you from behind).

Do a lil research on this on you will know what i am talking about.
Damn, dude... $400 to totally protect your ass from Lidar... sounds like a bargain!

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 06-25-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
In all fairness Doe Do you know how it looks like?? You know... the transponters isn't exactly stamped w/ ACME LASER RADAR JAMMER on it and it shuts off/reset after firing.

How many cops do you think knows what to look for and how it looks like.
I do.. .yes.

I'm sure they're trained on how to identify what kind of readings their Lidar will give off when actively being "shifted". That's when they may decide to nail you. They probably won't actively look for cars that have them and ticket them because they are mounted on the car, becasue as you said... it could be something else. FasTrak Transponder or whatever. But if it's actively shifting laser, preventing them from getting a reading on your car... they have grounds to nail you.

Some people have them.. I don't care... Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I thought he should know about if he happens to care whether it's legal or not. So

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 06-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Doe, I am appreciative of the suggestion. It's all "research" man!
Old 06-25-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I do.. .yes.

I'm sure they're trained on how to identify what kind of readings their Lidar will give off when actively being "shifted". That's when they may decide to nail you. They probably won't actively look for cars that have them and ticket them because they are mounted on the car, becasue as you said... it could be something else. FasTrak Transponder or whatever. But if it's actively shifting laser, preventing them from getting a reading on your car... they have grounds to nail you.

Some people have them.. I don't care... Just thought I'd throw out the fact that I thought he should know about if he happens to care whether it's legal or not. So
Doe?! Your a COP!

< >>

What was that about not being able to delete previous posts?!

Old 06-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
Doe?! Your a COP!

< >>

What was that about not being able to delete previous posts?!
That's the funniest thing I've heard today....

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 06-25-2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That's the funniest thing I've heard today....
Sooo... are you?

NOT that there's anything wrong with that!