Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Ordered X3..Radio question

I ordered an X3 3.0 with Premium Sound..the dealer also added satellite radio prep that I didn't care about..is this satellite radio Sirius or XM? Do I buy service directly from Sirius, any deals through BMW?

Also I wanted to confirm that 2005 X3 with Premium Sound plays MP3 CD's? Just want to make sure that premium does and not just regular.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2005, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Premium Sound plays MP3 CD'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskel
Also I wanted to confirm that 2005 X3 with Premium Sound plays MP3 CD's? Just want to make sure that premium does and not just regular.
I took two MP3 CDs on my ED trip last month (still waiting for redelivery of car). They played fine in my X3 with Premium Sound.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM

What does the radio show for info? Song title, artist, time length...can you shuffle or use folders? How is the premium sound by the way? I haven't even heard regular X3 sound before
Old 06-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 05 X3 2.5i & 06 TL
Quote:
What does the radio show for info? Song title, artist, time length...can you shuffle or use folders? How is the premium sound by the way? I haven't even heard regular X3 sound before
When I tested the MP3 Feature on my test drive, I noticed it didn't show track or album name. This is what it displays for MP3s : 01-TRACK 01. May be it would show the name if I had burned the disc another way? I burned using Drag and Drop as well as Nero MP3 CD (with 2 CDs of course.) You can skip through songs, so go from 01-TRACK 01 to 01-TRACK 02, as well as skip a complete album: from 01-TRACK 01 to 02-TRACK 01. The one I drove didn't have premium sound, but I don't think that option should change the MP3 functions, just the sound quality.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 PM

Was that just because of the way you had the songs labeled? If it doesnt show song or artist name at least it could show the file name I would hope, so you label the file the name of the song and it shows that..haven't ever tried an mp3 cd player though
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i Black
It show just like Bobak said. Track # which is song # that it. but sound very good.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: M3/X3
The premium stereo does show Artist, Album and Track Name. You need to make sure that your MP3 files have ID3 tags in them. Some programs that downsample (like LAME) strip the tags out so beware. There's also a setting on the radio that you need checkmark to enable this. Lastly, make sure you make an ISO cd-r with your mp3s on it. You can have directories for each album, etc...

Also.... Too bad you can't jump from directory to directory from the steering wheel. Instead, you have to go track by track. I also wish that the player would pre-scan all the MP3s and cache the tags so that the song info shows up immediately when you change tracks (i.e. no delay)
Old 06-21-2005, 12:00 AM

So only the Premium shows the ID3 tags? Good thing I got premium! How does it sound? Better than regular system? Good bass? I pick up in 5 weeks, can't wait to go but can't wait to get it back here!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
So only the Premium shows the ID3 tags? Good thing I got premium! How does it sound? Better than regular system? Good bass? I pick up in 5 weeks, can't wait to go but can't wait to get it back here!
Lilskel, I have the Premium sound option on my X3 but could never get it to displace the ID3 tags. From my understanding if you have Navigation option it will display the ID3 tags on the NAV screen.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM

Ok well I have Navigation ordered as well!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i (2005)
Quote:
Was that just because of the way you had the songs labeled? If it doesnt show song or artist name at least it could show the file name I would hope, so you label the file the name of the song and it shows that..haven't ever tried an mp3 cd player though
The CD player doesn't handle "ID Tags" on .mp3 or wma files. It doesn't show that info no matter what. Kind of lame, but that's the way it is.

The only way to show artist/album info is to have the NAV screen.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man
The premium stereo does show Artist, Album and Track Name. You need to make sure that your MP3 files have ID3 tags in them. Some programs that downsample (like LAME) strip the tags out so beware. There's also a setting on the radio that you need checkmark to enable this. Lastly, make sure you make an ISO cd-r with your mp3s on it. You can have directories for each album, etc...

Also.... Too bad you can't jump from directory to directory from the steering wheel. Instead, you have to go track by track. I also wish that the player would pre-scan all the MP3s and cache the tags so that the song info shows up immediately when you change tracks (i.e. no delay)
On the regular Business CD if you press the "m" button (for manual) you can skip directory to directory via the steering wheel controls, rather than within a directory.

Try it. I bet it works on yours too.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man

You got NAV -- that's why you see the info -- not cause you got premium.

I don't have NAV -- but I'd rather have the storage space.