Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2005, 08:16 PM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Mein Auto: 04 Imola Zhp
Cup Holders

I don't get the new cup holders, they are right in the passengers face and any sudden stop and the starbuck goes everywhere. Small detail, but that will keep me from upgrading along with the fact that BMW no longer thinks they need to cradle the driver. E36 where are you???
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: desk chair
They also block the passenger's AC vents.

Last edited by willpooted; 06-20-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
I don't get the new cup holders, they are right in the passengers face and any sudden stop and the starbuck goes everywhere. Small detail, but that will keep me from upgrading along with the fact that BMW no longer thinks they need to cradle the driver. E36 where are you???

Yup, that's why they call it the Ultimate Coffee Machine. Cup holders are much more important than the driving experience

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey
Old 06-20-2005, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2000 528i
The cupholders are kind of cheesy. They wouldn't look out of place on a Malibu. Of course, this is not at all close to stopping me from buying the car, but I expect details like this to be a bit more refined on a car like this.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Thats funny, I like the cup holders. Were else would they go? on my Z3 they are in the center console right under my elbow and it drives me nuts.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:12 PM

If you were so busy with driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine", why do you have so much coffee in your car in the first place?

People's comments on this matter directly contradict themselves. The Ultimate Driving Machine need not be concerned with how many grande Starbucks cups you can have in the car without spilling while cornering.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
If you were so busy with driving "The Ultimate Driving Machine", why do you have so much coffee in your car in the first place?

People's comments on this matter directly contradict themselves. The Ultimate Driving Machine need not be concerned with how many grande Starbucks cups you can have in the car without spilling while cornering.
My car will have to be very concerned about this. And I better not catch it with Starbucks inside its cupholders. Especially, not a vente. Not in the Ultimate Driving Machine
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: E90 320d
I think the cup holders are in a perfect place. I doubt I'll ever use them anyways....they are just there for the occassional long drive on a hot day. If you put them in the center consol, it would take away from the ultimate driving machine. The cup holders are places on the passengers side, so it doesn't interfere with the driving experience.

If you have coffee in any car and are driving like a maniac, hard stops and fast corners..it will go all over the place in any car.

I'm just glad there is a cup holder for my occasional need
Old 06-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
The only use I found for me e46 cupholders was to drop my cell phone in that hole.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: Crimson Red 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
The only use I found for me e46 cupholders was to drop my cell phone in that hole.
Wolf359, I agree. The only beverage I allow in my car is bottled water. Unless the person holds his/her lid-covered drink. Arthur, BMW (and other companies, of course) makes their own coffee mugs that will prevent spillage. Buy one of those for crying out loud. If you think a cup holder is the only thing to complain about, you should look at the thread with the "exploding moonroof"!!! Good luck with your other car, in the future.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52

Amen brother....

Photobucket
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
The cupholders are kind of cheesy. They wouldn't look out of place on a Malibu. Of course, this is not at all close to stopping me from buying the car, but I expect details like this to be a bit more refined on a car like this.
Methinks the Germans think any cupholders are unrefined.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:32 AM

I´m German. And I don´t give a d**** about cupholders. There ya go.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted
They also block the passenger's AC vents.
That's to cool your coffee in case the coffee cooler under the armrest isn't good enough.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:55 AM

I wonder how the passenger side dash airbag works in conjunction with two steaming hot lattés in those cupholders?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman
That's to cool your coffee in case the coffee cooler under the armrest isn't good enough.
Or keep it warm during the winter?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman
I wonder how the passenger side dash airbag works in conjunction with two steaming hot lattés in those cupholders?
When you´re in an accident that requires the airbag to deploy, you simply don´t care about the additional mess of one or two lattes (that are thrown forward by the impact anyway). Same as with glasses, pipes, cigarettes or the mars bar you were just chewing...
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 AM

Oh, God. Please forgive us. We made the inexcusable mistake of criticizing BMW cupholders. If cupholders really were such a terrible offense to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" (sorry, the reverence in my voice just doesn't come across on the Net) there would be no concessions to comfort and convenience such as power seats, iDrive, a stereo system, butt warmers, comfort access, and perhaps a backseat. It seems to be ok to nitpick many of these features ad nauseum but make a critical comment about cupholders and...oh dear!

With that I think I'll adjourn to another thread--say one that dwells on iDrive minutia.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierfreund
When you´re in an accident that requires the airbag to deploy, you simply don´t care about the additional mess of one or two lattes (that are thrown forward by the impact anyway). Same as with glasses, pipes, cigarettes or the mars bar you were just chewing...
I think stewthebassman meant the hot liquid to your body, not the mess.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: XJ-R, '06-330i
On the e90 Configuration CD there is an option to leave the cup holders off.

Whether or not this is a Europe-only option I do not know.

The dash actually looks a lot cleaner without them.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 330i SP/PP/CWP TiAg/terra
Quote:
Oh, God. Please forgive us. We made the inexcusable mistake of criticizing BMW cupholders. If cupholders really were such a terrible offense to "The Ultimate Driving Machine" (sorry, the reverence in my voice just doesn't come across on the Net) there would be no concessions to comfort and convenience such as power seats, iDrive, a stereo system, butt warmers, comfort access, and perhaps a backseat. It seems to be ok to nitpick many of these features ad nauseum but make a critical comment about cupholders and...oh dear!

With that I think I'll adjourn to another thread--say one that dwells on iDrive minutia.
Comfort features are nice in a BMW but not absolutly essential to the overall driving experience for many people who gravitate towards owning these cars.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic
I think stewthebassman meant the hot liquid to your body, not the mess.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that in addition to the pain and suffering of seeing your beautiful E90 all air-bagged out and the front end demolished, your passenger (wife?, mistress?) would be permanently disfigured facially by two steaming hot lattés that you had purchased moments before at the local 'Bucks.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:14 AM

I thought I would give you cupholder haters a moment of levity. I defiantly purchased a cafe macchiato this morning at Peet's (Starbuck's is training coffee) and put it in the cupholder of my car. Hit the brakes a bit too hard and spilled it all over my pants. Doing a serious rethink on whether I should drink coffee in the car anymore. Maybe if they had bibs with the BMW rondel on them?

"Instant carma's gonna get you." --John Lennon
Old 06-21-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Hehe, that wasn't my point at all. If you want to criticize the cupholders that's fine. Just don't put it in the sentence before you complain that you long for "Ultimate Driver-Cradling Machine" E36. Did the E36 have better cupholders? Did it even have cupholders? I don't know but I don't think so.

My point was, either you are down with all the new creature comforts being introduced into the BMW's over the years to maintain their competitive status in the luxury car market or you despise those changes and want to go back to more simplistic sports cars. You can't want the latter while you complain about the lack of comfort features And by can't I mean it just doesn't make sense to. Anyone can do it.

I never drink coffee except when necessary to stay up for exams and that's over now so I don't foresee any coffee in the future except the occasional coffee ice cream

In a moving car I only allow water as well. Or something like a shake from In N Out that's so thick it can't spill. Mmmm, I'm gonna miss In N Out in WA.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I thought I would give you cupholder haters a moment of levity. I defiantly purchased a cafe macchiato this morning at Peet's (Starbuck's is training coffee) and put it in the cupholder of my car. Hit the brakes a bit too hard and spilled it all over my pants. Doing a serious rethink on whether I should drink coffee in the car anymore. Maybe if they had bibs with the BMW rondel on them?

"Instant carma's gonna get you." --John Lennon

Yoiks!! I would love to see those roundel bibs!! Great idea! I had a holder that was subject to similar gravitational forces as would be experienced in the E90 cupholder, and I never put coffee in it, just coke cans or a closed coffee mug.

Anyway Athos, that was a funny post and made me laugh, thanks!