Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Psych-oh!

Send a message via AIM to wmndriver Send a message via Yahoo to wmndriver
Mein Auto: 07 e92 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
The only use I found for me e46 cupholders was to drop my cell phone in that hole.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Pardon my ignorance but when is the "right time" to use the "I'm with stupid" emoticon?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Psych-oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman
Pardon my ignorance but when is the "right time" to use the "I'm with stupid" emoticon?
I sometimes use it when I agree with a poster's comment.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Thank you Clare, that's what I figured, but I still don't get it!

BTW, where are the cup holders in an Audi?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Psych-oh!

Quote:
Thank you Clare, that's what I figured, but I still don't get it!

BTW, where are the cup holders in an Audi?
In almost the same place as in the E46. Therefore, only one cupholder can actually be used to hold a cup

Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:

You gotta wait for the right moment. Just like the slow clap.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
Did the E36 have better cupholders? Did it even have cupholders? I don't know but I don't think so.
My E36 M3 has about the worst cupholders I've ever had in any car. They make the cupholders in my former E46 330i seem like God's gift to latte lovers. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. And before everyone jumps all over me for mentioning it... Yes, I would like to have good cupholders in my M3. I don't pretend to be Juan Pablo Montoya every time I jump in the car. I commute 100+ miles a day R/T and I like to drink my homemade latte in the morning on my drive to work. Does that make me any less of an enthusiast?

It sure would be nice if I didn't have to try and hold the cup with one hand so it doesn't tip out of the cupholder, upshift my 5-spd manual as I merge onto the freeway, and hold the wheel all at the same time.

In the end, I wouldn't trade my car for anything, but those cupholders sho' do suck!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic
I think stewthebassman meant the hot liquid to your body, not the mess.
So did I. An impact that requires protection by the airbag will leave you bruised. The airbag itself is inflated with hot gas that then delates through openings in the bag. And the spilled coffee will have been traveling forward at your impact speed through the sudden deceleration (just the same force that is pulling your body violently towards the airbag). Worst case: there´ll be a thin layer of hot coffee on the already hot airbag. My (educated) guess is: In an accident, you´ll not be bothered by the coffee.

The only scenario where the coffee would come to play is if the airbag deploys without a forward impact (which it never should). Then it´d have a chance of messing you up good with hot liquid.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: desk chair
There's always iced coffee and sippy cups
Old 06-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2000 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by platypus
My E36 M3 has about the worst cupholders I've ever had in any car. They make the cupholders in my former E46 330i seem like God's gift to latte lovers. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. And before everyone jumps all over me for mentioning it... Yes, I would like to have good cupholders in my M3. I don't pretend to be Juan Pablo Montoya every time I jump in the car. I commute 100+ miles a day R/T and I like to drink my homemade latte in the morning on my drive to work. Does that make me any less of an enthusiast?

It sure would be nice if I didn't have to try and hold the cup with one hand so it doesn't tip out of the cupholder, upshift my 5-spd manual as I merge onto the freeway, and hold the wheel all at the same time.

In the end, I wouldn't trade my car for anything, but those cupholders sho' do suck!
100+ miles a day and you're in SF. Are you commuting down to the valley? If so, I'm the other guy shifting and drinking coffee (maybe that'll change after today's incident) on 280.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athos
100+ miles a day and you're in SF. Are you commuting down to the valley? If so, I'm the other guy shifting and drinking coffee (maybe that'll change after today's incident) on 280.
Yep. SF to SJ and back every day. I get on at San Jose Ave. between 7-7:15 in the morning and usually start the return trip around 5:30 or so in the afternoon from Julian St. off 87. What's your ride? Maybe we'll run into each other. Not literally of course!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 PM
04 IR/NB ZHP

Mein Auto: 04 Imola Zhp
Quote:

Well, theres one person in America who actually drives to WORK! Amen brother. Anyway, don't confuse the E36 comment with the E90 cupholders. I must be the only one who prefers the more intimate confines of the E36 and its attention to give all the attention (read button controls) to the driver. The E90 I sat in thinks the passenger should control the A/C, Radio, and yes - the amount of coffee the driver is allowed to ingest...
Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I don't pretend to be Juan Pablo Montoya every time I jump in the car.
Thank goodness you don´t. The guy has been standing next to himself lately...

Last edited by tierfreund; 06-21-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
I am shocked that this discussion has gone this long without anyone mentioning how the right cup holder can do serious knee damage to the passenger if they are not careful. This was pointed out in one of the first reviews when a journalist found out the hard way.

I too have had to stop drinking Starbucks due to these cupholders. But to be fair, the e46 ones were way above the German average for usefulness, and were only on the US models.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that in addition to the pain and suffering of seeing your beautiful E90 all air-bagged out and the front end demolished, your passenger (wife?, mistress?) would be permanently disfigured facially by two steaming hot lattés that you had purchased moments before at the local 'Bucks.
I don't think it would be as bad as being "permanently disfigured" unless you had acid in those cups Seriously though, the same could happen if you were holding a cup, no? Also, the driver's cup is likely to miss the passenger anyway.

I personally happen to like the driver's cup holder (the only one I've used). It's out of the way so it allows me to enjoy my driving without being in the way.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit
You gotta wait for the right moment. Just like the slow clap.

Did Clare use "I'm with Stupid" at the right time?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I don't think it would be as bad as being "permanently disfigured" unless you had acid in those cups Seriously though, the same could happen if you were holding a cup, no? Also, the driver's cup is likely to miss the passenger anyway.

I personally happen to like the driver's cup holder (the only one I've used). It's out of the way so it allows me to enjoy my driving without being in the way.

I guess it depends on what blend you get from Starbucks!

Cupholders, eh? Can't live with'em, can't live without 'em!!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Did Clare use "I'm with Stupid" at the right time?
You will know when the right time is.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit
You will know when the right time is.

You will know when the right time is "grasshopper", you mean!
Old 06-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: a beater right now
I don't get most of BMWs cupholders. In my e46, they were in the center console and just ok - they wouldn't hold large cups though. My e39 cupholders suck - I dont use them at all. There are some good aftermarket holders I've been thinking about ordering.

For those who think it's just not right to drive a BMW and drink coffee, when your on the interstate for 6 hours there is just so much cornering you can do. It would be nice if BMW could solve this once and for all. It can't be that difficult.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftster
I don't get most of BMWs cupholders. In my e46, they were in the center console and just ok - they wouldn't hold large cups though. My e39 cupholders suck - I dont use them at all...
I really love the look of the cupholders -- they remind me that this is not an american car! Have you noticed that in all "american-made" cars the cupholders have gotten SO BIG that you can fit multiple 99 oz Super-Duper-Big-Gulps... pretty soon you'll be able to strap a baby seat into the cup holders of all GM vehicles...

That being said, I do enjoy a good supersized drink from McDonalds, and I don't trust the flimsy little holder in the E90 to hold it... Oh well... I guess I'll have to hold it between my legs...
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
I can agree with the LOOK of the cup holders is a nice look.

I can also agree that the driver’s cup holder is pretty convenient, although sometimes it is hard to see in the dark to put your drink back.

The main problem as everyone else has stated the same is that the passenger can easily knock into the cup holder (either of them) with his/her knee.

It has already happened and from now on, NO MORE cup holders open when I have a passenger.

Anyone know the cost in replacing the cup holder since it is bound to get snapped in someone's E90.

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Old 07-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
The cupholders in my (former) X5 were excellent, out of sight when unused, and fit just about anything other than the huge drinks, which I never buy anyway. They were even out of the way of the shifter, something to think about when it's needed every few seconds around town.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Monaco Blue
My complaint is that the cupholders are too small!

The airconditioned one in the armrest cannot even fit a 20-oz. Coke bottle.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
I don't get the new cup holders....
Don't get into a newer Saab if the E90 cup holder befuddles you. You'll be thrown into a state of hysteria(for some, euphoria) if you see this little concoction in action.