Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2 '06 330i's
Car Starts without key

hey Folks,
I have an '06 330i Automatic and i can't seem to figure this out. After I take the fob outta the ignition and hold down the brake and press the button the car starts! I drove around pretty much all day this way. Is this supposed to be a feature? I would assume not. Any ideas??
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
It sounds like the Comfort Access System which is an option that is not supposed to be available until September production. Do your doors unlock automatically with the key in your pocket?...this is another feature of the CAS.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: desk chair
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96854
Old 06-20-2005, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 330 CiC
Actually, someone at the dealership pointed this out -- if you first start your car (or start the ignition with the key fob in the dash), then you can remove the fob and start and stop all day long with the key out of the dash. However, once you get out of the car and/or lock the door with the fob then you will no longer be able to start the car w/o re-inserting the fob. This is true for ALL 3 series (not just ones with comfort access -- thouh, obviously, with comfort access you wouldn't need to insert the fob in the first place)...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
Actually, someone at the dealership pointed this out -- if you first start your car (or start the ignition with the key fob in the dash), then you can remove the fob and start and stop all day long with the key out of the dash. However, once you get out of the car and/or lock the door with the fob then you will no longer be able to start the car w/o re-inserting the fob. This is true for ALL 3 series (not just ones with comfort access -- thouh, obviously, with comfort access you wouldn't need to insert the fob in the first place)...
That's a great feature. Without Comfort Access, I can now start my car in the winter, get out and lock the doors. Hmmm, you got me thinking that maybe Comfort Access isn't worth the wait now. Remote start would be better, but I don't know if you can get that for the e90 and I don't know if it could work with a manual tranny (never been a fan of leaving the car parked in neutral).
Old 06-21-2005, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: e90
sorry to probe the details on this too much -- BUT -- is it correct that if I start the car with the fob and get out of the car, when I get back in, I can start it with the button only?
Old 06-21-2005, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Question Easy to Steal?

Taking it one step further, is it possible to start and stop the car, take out the key fob and leave the car without locking it, that someone can then start the car without the key fob?
Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot
Taking it one step further, is it possible to start and stop the car, take out the key fob and leave the car without locking it, that someone can then start the car without the key fob?
Doesn't sound right to me.
From Steply said:
However, once you get out of the car and/or lock the door with the fob then you will no longer be able to start the car w/o re-inserting the fob
Old 06-21-2005, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: e90
right -- i saw that, but it seemed that there was confusion about it further down.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprofessor
right -- i saw that, but it seemed that there was confusion about it further down.
After Steply explained it, bimmer4me's idea is also right (if Steply is correct) because bimmer4me's idea doesn't stop the engine before he left the car for warming up the engine. But you and BigFoot asking to stop the engine, get out of the car and come back to start the engine without the fob.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 330i SP/PP/CWP TiAg/terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steply
I didn't think that was possible. I could swear I read somewhere in the manual I downloaded, that if you remove the fob while the car is moving the steering wheel will lock, leading to a dangerous situation. Is the difference then in taking the fob out BEFORE you move the car?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM

I just tried it and you can stop the engine, take the fob out, don't open the door and re-start the engine without insert the fob. One thing I didn't try is if the steering wheel can turn.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 330 CiC
Hey all -- please don't rely just on my post -- discuss with a bmw dealer -- I tested this out again today, and as it stands now, it seems that it might be just a quark.... it only seemed to work if you turn on the car, turn off the car, then hit start before the iDrive computer completely shut down... Once it's activated, the engine will turn off, but your radio, iDrive screen, and other interior lights will remain on... to turn them off compltetly, I found that I needed to reinsert and remove my fob... Unfortunately, I didn't find it to be a 100% reliable feature, but it seems that you can sometimes "trick" your car into thinking that the fob was still inserted...
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic
I just tried it and you can stop the engine, take the fob out, don't open the door and re-start the engine without insert the fob. One thing I didn't try is if the steering wheel can turn.
To follow up, you can drive like with the fob. But you've to push the button once to turn off engine and push the button again to turn off the electronic (like radio).

Last edited by ic; 06-22-2005 at 06:54 AM.