Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Benz/BMW X3
My 2006 X3

Looks like Autobild.de has new info on the September model X3.

Here is the Babelfish translation from the webpage: http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuhe...rtikel_id=8640

Facelift BMW X3 Conclusion with cheap With the Facelift of the X3 in September 2006 the residents of Munich banish the cheap plastics Look. , the Gemoser of customers regards works. BMW will release the X3 from the cheaply working bumpers - the matte planks so far hardly fit the expensive character of boulevard Bavaria. In September 2006 the X3 its Facelift gets - and probably also a new Interieur, conclusion makes with the failed experiment to sell rough plastics as noble Look. With the model care also the new Benziner of the 3er-Reihe draws into the trend UV: the 2,5-Liter-Benziner with 218 HP and the 3,0-Liter with 258 HP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69027.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	52350   Click image for larger version

Name:	69028.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	52351  
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Yeah, that picture has been circulating for a while. Althought it looks more aero-dynamic it also appears as if there is more plastic. I can't tell from that article but I keep hearing that the 2006 models will have color keyed bumpers. I just got my X3 and I think I'll be pretty bumbed if I missed the colored bumpers by just a couple of months.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: VW GTI
new pics of X3 2006

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72122.jpg
http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/72125.jpg

These are actual pics from the new X3. Looks like the rumors are real. Hopefully they update the engines as well. Supposedly they did some inside upgrading too.

Xpander
Old 06-22-2005, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: X
Is that article correct - September 2006 for the new look ? Surely a misprint????
Old 06-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Some perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by slker
Looks like Autobild.de has new info on the September model X3.

Here is the Babelfish translation from the webpage: http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuhe...rtikel_id=8640

Facelift BMW X3 Conclusion with cheap With the Facelift of the X3 in September 2006 the residents of Munich banish the cheap plastics Look. , the Gemoser of customers regards works. BMW will release the X3 from the cheaply working bumpers - the matte planks so far hardly fit the expensive character of boulevard Bavaria. In September 2006 the X3 its Facelift gets - and probably also a new Interieur, conclusion makes with the failed experiment to sell rough plastics as noble Look. With the model care also the new Benziner of the 3er-Reihe draws into the trend UV: the 2,5-Liter-Benziner with 218 HP and the 3,0-Liter with 258 HP.
Good hunting!! Thanks!!!

Here is what I distilled out of the original German article:
  • For 2006 BMW will give the X3 a makeover.
  • Get rid of the cheap plastic look.
  • Surely it will also get a more luxurious interior
  • More powerful engines will be available (2.5L @ 218 HP and 3.0L @ 258HP)
Some perspective from me:
  • It does not explicitly state that the new bumpers will be color-matched to the body paint
  • The sentence mentioning the interior is worded more like a "hope" than a definite statement
  • The whole article has the same aura of speculation that the article from the British auto mag had (I think it was an early spring 2005 issue). Reading both that article and this one, they say about the same things with about the same level of authority. I can't recall which bimmerfest posting pointed to that British auto mag article...
  • This article is from Issue #17 of AutoBild. The current issue is #25, so this is not particularly "new, hot from BMW" info. End of April or beginning of May.
  • Here comes the logic now...The pictures accompanying the article all show vehicles with black bumpers, so if those pictures are really 2006 X3's then it means no color keyed bumper for the X3 in 2006, right?? The accompanying panoramic picture of the interior looks just like the 2005 models on the lot today....so if the the article is correct and the X3 gets a makeover, the pictures are not accurate and are useless as far as seeing what the 2006 looks like. If the pictures are of 2006 models then they prove there is no makeover - those look just like the 2005.
More wait and see, I guess...

I am seriously in the market for a new X3. I have money in my pocket and am ready to buy as soon as I can work out the right deal for the car I want. Whether the 2006 has changes or not is a matter of some import to me. Here are my thoughts:
  • I like the way the exterior looks. Painted vs. black bumpers are not a big deal to me. If I decide I want color keyed bumpers, then the aero package will give me that on the 2005...at a sweet (for BMW!) price.
  • The 3.0L engine is pretty darn snappy for my taste with four adults...that is test driving it at 6000 ft ASL!!! I do not need my eyeballs pressed against the back of their sockets when I step on the accelerator. So I would not like a bigger engine if it is going to loose me a few MPG. I'd prefer an engine that gave me the same experience and added a few MPG. Of course, if I can get some eyeball pressing and same or better fuel economy, well, I'll take that! So long as it doesn't add another grand or so to my cost!
  • The interior is the biggest drawback for me in the current model - the padding on the seats, especially the rear, could be improved, more cupholders and aux power outlets would be nice and the plastic and the leather look a bit "downmarket" for a vehicle that tips the scales between $35L-$45K MSRP.
Thanks for the news...it is always welcome!

I continue to eagerly await the official information about the 2006 X3's!

Greg

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 06-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
Man, I just pre-orderd my 2005 X3, and its gunna make me puke if they anounce huge changes to the X3 with out moving the price up. I feel sick.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
It's arrived!

Mein Auto: X3
2005 vs 2006

Well, I ordered my X3 last week and I'm confident it is the right choice for me. If they improve the engine in any way (and that's the only thing that matters to me - I also like the bumpers) , there won't be any incentives on the new X3 offered. the increase in engine size doesn't justify a couple of extra thou a year in financing costs, IMHO.

BTW. Liverman I understand that the new 3 series engines although bigger are at least as fuel efficent, if not more so, than the old ones.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2005
A bit too much plastic on the front bumper on the new 2006 picture. I rather have 2005 version if it is really how it looks like on 2006.
Engine upgrade is reasonable. New 3-series engine is stronger, new X3 should share the same engine.

2002 VW Beetle 1.8T Gecko Green Sold

2000 Honda Prelude Silver Totalled

1998 328i Manual Boston Green Sold
Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbattery
A bit too much plastic on the front bumper on the new 2006 picture. I rather have 2005 version if it is really how it looks like on 2006.
Engine upgrade is reasonable. New 3-series engine is stronger, new X3 should share the same engine.
I don't remember where but I remember reading that the old engines were dead (no longer going to be produced at the end of MY2005). The new engines will be in the whole lineup for MY2006 (the MY2006 3 series and 5 series are already in production and have the new engines, the X3 and X5 should follow once they start production of MY2006).

JP
Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Well sure, the 2006 may have some improvements, but that doesn't mean that the 2005 or 2004 models are therefore chopped liver. Especially because, as others have mentioned, the pricing on 2005s will be much better than on the 2006s.

I personally prefer the black bumpers (they give the X3 a more sporty, outdoors look, while to my eye the color matched aero kits make the X3 appear too tall and narrow from the front and rear views). I also prefer the post-modern, utilitarian look of the current model's interior, although I will admit that an upgrade of materials (not design) would be a good thing.

Most signifigantly, the engine upgrade: who wouldn't opt for a more powerful BMW engine with improved or comparable efficiency? But there's a price to pay, and the current engines still remain some of the sweetest in the world, with more than enough punch available if the driver is willing to bring the rpms into the 3000-5000 range. Even with my "lowly" 2.5 (which I chose for fuel efficiency/environmental reasons), my front seat-mounted speed control system (otherwise known as my wife) is regularly issuing warnings and alerts.

I love my 2004 2.5M, and while I eagerly follow the changes and upgrades that are made, particularly when the the changes are as signifigant as an entirely new engine, I am more than happy to live with my X3 for the forseeable future.

To those who recently bought 2005s, congratulations. You got yourselves one fine SAV. And to those who will be getting the 2006 model, congratulations in advance. I look forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: VW GTI
I asked my father to contact a dealer about the 2006 X3 in Germany and they did not know any specifics. Makes me think that there will be some changes.
BTW, the pictures I posted earlier are new and part of a report about new developments (including first pictures of the V5). Since the X3 in the pictures looks even more platic I assume that the bumpers will be painted. Not sure if I like that, but I definetely like the HP bump. I guess I keep waiting until August when they have to announce the changes. Either way, that would give me the choice and better bargain ground on older models too.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpander
I asked my father to contact a dealer about the 2006 X3 in Germany and they did not know any specifics. Makes me think that there will be some changes.
BTW, the pictures I posted earlier are new and part of a report about new developments (including first pictures of the V5). Since the X3 in the pictures looks even more platic I assume that the bumpers will be painted. Not sure if I like that, but I definetely like the HP bump. I guess I keep waiting until August when they have to announce the changes. Either way, that would give me the choice and better bargain ground on older models too.
Yep, sounds like you will have the choice of model years, but keep in mind that you'll be limited to dealer stock on 2005s in August. As long as you're OK with that, you're sitting pretty.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Look closely at the interior panoramic photo, it is of a 2004 model interior, the dark gray carpets, dark gray on the lower part of the doors, black door handles and black window switch surrounds.
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT