Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 PM
fm_illuminatus's Avatar
fm_illuminatus fm_illuminatus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
545i slower then 540i!

What's this all about??

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...437&optionID=6

Now look here...

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...502&optionID=0

Someone want to explain the 0-60 time difference? The 540i is 5.5 and the 545i is 5.7! The torque numbers are nearly the same, the 545i weighs about the same, and has more horsepower. Why is it slower? (I mean it's not much difference, but one would think the 545i would be a good half second faster than the 540i)
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Niftster Niftster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 308
Mein Auto: a beater right now
When it gets down to that, I say big deal. People can't tell the difference. It could have been the test driver, air temp, tire pressure, whatever.

I remember in the 80s, anything quicker than 7 sec in the 0-60 was fast. Now a lot of cars are floating around 7.

I measure I would like to see recorded more of would be 30 - 60, or 50 - 100. With many of these cars, thats where you figure out where the real power is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 PM
fm_illuminatus's Avatar
fm_illuminatus fm_illuminatus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
That's true, my 325xi has a disappointing 0-60 time (7.8 seconds) but it still manages to have good passing speed on the freeway. It would be interesting to see what it gets in the 30-60 and the 50-100 range.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
qamaro qamaro is offline
Registered User
Location: Cali
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2005 545i, 2004 FX45
I guess it depends on where you look for the data. The numbers are all over the place for both cars. Here is a review of the 2004 545i (auto I think) against an STS in MotorTrend and their test data shows a different set of #'s (note the 545i 0-60 time of 5.4). So, not sure how much stock you place in some of the sites facts over another.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...ts/index7.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 PM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
That's an awfully optimistic number for the 540 and a relatively pessimistic number for the 545.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:12 PM
kd2789mo kd2789mo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 433
Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
0-60 my C5 is about a 1/2 car length ahead of my 545 (both auto)
50-100 the 545 is almost 2 full car lengths ahead of the C5.
__________________
Kd
----------------
04 745Li Silver/Grey, 19" Star, LOGIC7, CWP, Adaptive Cruise, LSP, CP, PDC, Shades, Xenon, Sirius
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Niftster Niftster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 308
Mein Auto: a beater right now
Thinking again about it, one car may have had a full tank, the other a few gallons.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:06 PM
530iii 530iii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn,NY USA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: E60 N62,ED E60 M54no mas
Post Either unskilled driver or Stoo-nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2789mo
0-60 my C5 is about a 1/2 car length ahead of my 545 (both auto)
50-100 the 545 is almost 2 full car lengths ahead of the C5.



You've got a 545i and a C5 Vette? Who's better than you?


Well here's what the latest Car & Driver said about the new Toyota Avalon "street start" of 6.2 seconds the 545i 6spd manual "street start" of 6.0 seconds.


I don't think so..... these magazines gotta be inexact sometimes! :gay:
__________________
05 "Poor man's 545i"

Last edited by 530iii; 06-22-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:20 PM
fm_illuminatus's Avatar
fm_illuminatus fm_illuminatus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by qamaro
I guess it depends on where you look for the data. The numbers are all over the place for both cars. Here is a review of the 2004 545i (auto I think) against an STS in MotorTrend and their test data shows a different set of #'s (note the 545i 0-60 time of 5.4). So, not sure how much stock you place in some of the sites facts over another.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/seda...ts/index7.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5
That's an awfully optimistic number for the 540 and a relatively pessimistic number for the 545.
I figured something like that might be the issue. I guess that the numbers just aren't all that accurate across the board, everyone seems to have something different.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
fm_illuminatus's Avatar
fm_illuminatus fm_illuminatus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,368
Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iii
You've got a 545i and a C5 Vette? Who's better than you?


Well here's what the latest Car & Driver said about the new Toyota Avalon "street start" of 6.2 seconds the 545i 6spd manual "street start" of 6.0 seconds.


I don't think so..... these magazines gotta be inexact sometimes! :gay:
6 seconds?? what are they smoking? That's way too high. I'm sure the real story falls somewhere between 5.4 and 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
1Dreamer's Avatar
1Dreamer 1Dreamer is offline
Super Moderator
Location: A block off Sunset Blvd.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,453
Mein Auto: Fiver
Here's an interesting link that provides the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times of a zillion stock cars ranging back from the 60's and 70's up to the early 2000's taken from different sources including Car & Driver, Motor Trend. The 545 isn't listed but different year 540's are and you will notice how much the tested times can range from year to year. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

1997 BMW 540i 6.2
1998 BMW 540i Sport 5.5
2001 BMW 540i (Automatic) 5.7
2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed 5.5

I find it hard to believe a stock automatic ever tested at 5.7 though, so I don't take much stock in these numbers. The numbers I've always consistently seen (and sound more realistic) for the 540 are 5.8 for the stick and 6.1 for the auto.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-14-2005, 10:35 PM
dinan540i dinan540i is offline
none
Location: Tucson AZ
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2001 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer
Here's an interesting link that provides the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times of a zillion stock cars ranging back from the 60's and 70's up to the early 2000's taken from different sources including Car & Driver, Motor Trend. The 545 isn't listed but different year 540's are and you will notice how much the tested times can range from year to year. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

1997 BMW 540i 6.2
1998 BMW 540i Sport 5.5
2001 BMW 540i (Automatic) 5.7
2001 BMW 540i 6-Speed 5.5

I find it hard to believe a stock automatic ever tested at 5.7 though, so I don't take much stock in these numbers. The numbers I've always consistently seen (and sound more realistic) for the 540 are 5.8 for the stick and 6.1 for the auto.

i have gotten consistent 5.7 with my 540 (steptronic.) and that was before my dinan mods
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-14-2005, 10:58 PM
philippek philippek is offline
Proud S ponsor
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,668
Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftster
When it gets down to that, I say big deal. People can't tell the difference. It could have been the test driver, air temp, tire pressure, whatever.

I remember in the 80s, anything quicker than 7 sec in the 0-60 was fast. Now a lot of cars are floating around 7.

I measure I would like to see recorded more of would be 30 - 60, or 50 - 100. With many of these cars, thats where you figure out where the real power is.
I think that about nails it. 0-60 is a nice shorthand way of expressing power to people who really aren't car people. It only really matters to street racers.

The minor variations from driver to driver, day to day and road surface to road surface will be much more significant than the .1 or .2 sec which separates 0-60 times.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 AM
hpowders's Avatar
hpowders hpowders is offline
Ahh! Winter Weather!
Location: South of Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,325
Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Exactly. Somone asked me whether he should get the 545i or wait for the 550.
I told him go with the 545i. For most people the difference in power at this level is relatively irrelevant.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-15-2005, 05:16 PM
530iii 530iii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn,NY USA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: E60 N62,ED E60 M54no mas
Red face 550i even though deals on remaining 545i's will get hotter

Personally i would wait until a 2007 (9/2006 production 550i : engine is out since the 04 X5 4.8is but 1st model year in the E60) but that's just me.

Vitamin H certainly wouldn't hurt.
__________________
05 "Poor man's 545i"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-20-2005, 01:48 AM
kip kip is offline
Registered User
Location: Finland
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 540i
Car and driver got these results:

545i 0-60 5.2
540i 0-60 5.5

These are actual results. The 545i is faster. Also the1/4 mile was faster.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 PM
SergeyM SergeyM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
Car and driver got these results:

545i 0-60 5.2
540i 0-60 5.5

These are actual results. The 545i is faster. Also the1/4 mile was faster.

You forgot to mention that 5.5 was for 540 i/6 whereas 5.2 is for 545 auto.

The best numbers for auto vs. auto would be

540 0-60 5.7, 1/4 mile 14.3/97mph
545 0-60 5.2, 1/4 mile 13.7/104 mph

As a former owner of 2002 540ia Sport and a current owner of 2005 545ia Sport I feel that 545 feels significantly faster in daily driving.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-21-2005, 02:07 PM
530iii 530iii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn,NY USA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: E60 N62,ED E60 M54no mas
Lightbulb Time for some mods...

Oh my goodness, does that mean a 550i possibly could be 0 to 60mph in 4.8 seconds or 5.0 seconds flat?
__________________
05 "Poor man's 545i"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_illuminatus
What's this all about??

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...437&optionID=6

Now look here...

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/d...502&optionID=0

Someone want to explain the 0-60 time difference? The 540i is 5.5 and the 545i is 5.7! The torque numbers are nearly the same, the 545i weighs about the same, and has more horsepower. Why is it slower? (I mean it's not much difference, but one would think the 545i would be a good half second faster than the 540i)
fm_illuminatus, thats so true the 0-60mph figures on the websites mentioned above are infact way-off I mean a 545i definitely is faster then a 540i but with Dinan mods the 540i will be faster as mentioned by someone else in the replies. However just to show as an example for the inaccuracy of the conceptcarz websites....the 750iL is shown as having a top speed of 206km/h / 128mph...........WHICH IS BULL****! I have taken mine many times over 210km/h....with effortless acceleration....and the top speed I have taken it was against a couple of bikes around 240km/h! .....and the 0-60mph time is not 6.5 seconds.....its closer to 6.0-6.2 seconds.......I mean I know it isnt a big difference but however this website conceptcarz.com is definitely not posting car specs and figures accurately. ......
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2005, 04:18 PM
530iii 530iii is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn,NY USA
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 237
Mein Auto: E60 N62,ED E60 M54no mas
Wink You can't go wrong with either one 540i/545i

Yes and a 545i with future Dinan mods will be quicker than a standard 545i.
__________________
05 "Poor man's 545i"
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-24-2005, 06:56 PM
AndrewL AndrewL is offline
Registered User
Location: BayAreaCA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: y2k X5 4.4i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyM
You forgot to mention that 5.5 was for 540 i/6 whereas 5.2 is for 545 auto.

The best numbers for auto vs. auto would be

540 0-60 5.7, 1/4 mile 14.3/97mph
545 0-60 5.2, 1/4 mile 13.7/104 mph

As a former owner of 2002 540ia Sport and a current owner of 2005 545ia Sport I feel that 545 feels significantly faster in daily driving.

I would be willing to bet that in a real "street" situation, you realy can't tell the difference! Especially if you are on the freeway with a limited amount of passing distance that if a 540i doesn't want to be passed by a 545i that it can be made to make it happen. These numbers are irrevelant imo as much as how you like the "feel" of the two cars.

If a professional driver is in a 540i and an average person is in a 545i, I will be willing to bet that pro with the 540i will beat the average 545i driver.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 PM
BillP BillP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,564
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL
I would be willing to bet that in a real "street" situation, you realy can't tell the difference! Especially if you are on the freeway with a limited amount of passing distance that if a 540i doesn't want to be passed by a 545i that it can be made to make it happen. These numbers are irrevelant imo as much as how you like the "feel" of the two cars.

If a professional driver is in a 540i and an average person is in a 545i, I will be willing to bet that pro with the 540i will beat the average 545i driver.
Huh?

Pro driver: Push pedal to the metal.
Average driver: Push pedal to the metal.

The numbers were for automatics and we are talking straight-line performance. In that sitaution, the pro is no better than my mom.

Plus, we are talking 0-60 which is not applicable to your freeway example. That would be another metric altogether, something like 50-80 or 60-100.

Now, if you are talking slalom or a road course, then I agree 100% with your premise that a lesser car in the hands of a professional would kick the snot out of a superior car in the hands of an average driver.


Bill
__________________
'00 540iA/Sport, Anthracite/Black - Euro Delivery in Spring 2000
'06 Honda S2000, Black/Black (my go-kart) - GONE
'03 Z4 3.0 6-speed/Sport, Sterling Gray/Black - GONE
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-24-2005, 11:09 PM
BillP BillP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,564
Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer7
fm_illuminatus, thats so true the 0-60mph figures on the websites mentioned above are infact way-off I mean a 545i definitely is faster then a 540i but with Dinan mods the 540i will be faster as mentioned by someone else in the replies. However just to show as an example for the inaccuracy of the conceptcarz websites....the 750iL is shown as having a top speed of 206km/h / 128mph...........WHICH IS BULL****! I have taken mine many times over 210km/h....with effortless acceleration....and the top speed I have taken it was against a couple of bikes around 240km/h! .....and the 0-60mph time is not 6.5 seconds.....its closer to 6.0-6.2 seconds.......I mean I know it isnt a big difference but however this website conceptcarz.com is definitely not posting car specs and figures accurately. ......
How did you know the speed was more than 210kmh, your speedometer? BMW speedos are POS and cannot be trusted unless you have them calibrated. My car at 140mph registered something like 155mph since BMW injects both an absolute (like 5mph) and relative (like 4%) buffer so your speedometer will intentionally overstate your actual speed.

Similarly, when your speedo said 60mph, you were probably only going 55 which explains your perceived better 0-60 time.


Bill
__________________
'00 540iA/Sport, Anthracite/Black - Euro Delivery in Spring 2000
'06 Honda S2000, Black/Black (my go-kart) - GONE
'03 Z4 3.0 6-speed/Sport, Sterling Gray/Black - GONE
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-25-2005, 08:46 AM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Bill RE: Speedometer

Hey Bill,
Listen thats the first ever time Ive heard that. . . I mean speedometers become inaccurate and need to be recalibrated when they are tampered with or if they get broken or something. . .
I dont know if thats right about the speed being understated then what it actually says on the speedometer. SO in any case that nite I went 240km/h approximately 150mph . . .and the car would go even more but I was already ahead of the bikes and didnt want to go faster then that....so jus slowed down. . .but given a straight course it can go even faster. . .I mean the limiter in my OBC module which can be manually set to give a speed limit warning , goes all the way up to 299km/h or 186mph. . . so given a straight road (AUTOBAHN ) I think it can achieve that speed.
However my point being even at 150mph I still was going 145mph which is faster than 210km/h which therefore proves my point that the website is Bull****

You have to tell me more about this speedometer story and POS???? Maybe this is true for US models but not Canadian Models because I dont even think my 750 has a limiter....or maybe it does
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-25-2005, 09:33 AM
AndrewL AndrewL is offline
Registered User
Location: BayAreaCA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: y2k X5 4.4i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Huh?

Pro driver: Push pedal to the metal.
Average driver: Push pedal to the metal.

The numbers were for automatics and we are talking straight-line performance. In that sitaution, the pro is no better than my mom.

Plus, we are talking 0-60 which is not applicable to your freeway example. That would be another metric altogether, something like 50-80 or 60-100.

Now, if you are talking slalom or a road course, then I agree 100% with your premise that a lesser car in the hands of a professional would kick the snot out of a superior car in the hands of an average driver.


Bill
I may be wrong but I have done some drag racing in the past in both cars and motorcycles. I've built over 15 Suzuki GSXRs where 5 of them was for drag racing and a couple of Rotary Powered vehicles where one was for drag racing, VW beetle for drag, and a 1967 Chevy Malibu with a 383 motor for drag. Launching very well is a key to get good acceleration times. Just pushing the pedal to the metal sometimes don't just cut it. In case of automatics, you need to ramp up to its stall speed and find the right rpm range for shifting.

When magazines do these test, they do several variations until the best results are established. Often, they will not tell us how they can get the car to shave of a 1/10th of a sec or two.

Professional drivers in general have higher reflex factor than normal drivers.

I could be wrong with BMWs being a more special vehicle where just mashing the pedal will give you the advertised figures that the magazines posted, but in general, most of the figures I see will be slightly slower with an average driver.

Driving the ultimate driving machine doesn't make it defacto that we become ultimate drivers.

Last edited by AndrewL; 07-25-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW 545i vs. C55 AMG lil2lionel04 E60 (2004 - 2010) 32 09-14-2006 01:20 PM
Why does BMW not charge for auto for 545i? zhangqj E60 (2004 - 2010) 15 09-12-2005 10:59 AM
Anyone move to a 545i from a 540i? Fiveforty E60 (2004 - 2010) 6 07-29-2005 09:29 PM
Installing the V60 cradle in a 540i BillB 5 Series 12 08-26-2004 03:36 PM
e60 545i VS e60 545i 6 speed jyeh74 5 Series 6 07-10-2004 01:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms