Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Scotty

Mein Auto: 1980 635 CSI 2012 3 m spt
E24 635sci

It is a 1980 BMW 635CSI, the engine in this car dose not appear to be a standard M90 unit, but a full stage seven racing engine?, it has a billet steel crankshaft {shines like chrome}, billet steel connecting rods and again they are polished and shine like chrome, Mahle racing pistons, three ring piston with the top compression ring only 1.75mm wide, it looks like just a tiny racing engine top compression ring, the pistons have little balance weights inside the piston. It is running at 3543 cc capacity {apparently as far bored out as anyone was game to go when developing these engines???}, normal 635CSI cars I believe are under the actual 3500cc size?. Compression ratio we believe would be in the 10.5 to 1, or 11 to 1, the pistons are a flat top piston and at top dead center are above the cylinder block top surface by 20 thousands of an inch. It is running a seven main bearing crankshaft block with cast into the main bearing caps GTS?????. The big end bearings are a 22mm wide journal, we believe the standard engine bearings are 20mm wide?. It has 60mm diameter main bearing journals, and 48mm diameter big end journals. The M90 cylinder head is using 46mm diameter inlet valves and 38mm diameter exhaust valves, it appears to be fully ported and blended into the exhaust manifolds and inlet valves, cam is a stage seven BMW branded camshaft, the bore is 93.4mm and I believe the European racing engines ran a 92.6mm diameter bore?. It is running a limited slip diff which is really tightly set up and even can hear the tyres dragging on tight turns it is wound that tight, it has a brand cast into it GTS-G40 diff identification???, with a ZF gearbox. When I could not get parts from BMW for the engine {BMW parts Australia would not recognise this engine from the data I gave them and said no such engine exists} I then spoke with a Jim Richards {he was an Australian racing driver who drove for Frank Gardner racing team driving the factory 635CSI cars here} and he put me onto a guy called Pip Barker who was Jim's head mechanic at the time he raced the JPS 635CSI cars here in Australia. Went through the details of the engine with Pip Barker and he said that build of engine with the M90 setup {they ran the M90 heads/engine for the racing engines he said?} that car would be rated at about 155mph unit, and very similar to the engines they ran in the factory supplied car for Jim Richards, and those engines came from the BMW racing division, so this is why he believed BMW parts Australia would not be able to trace my engine?, Pip said at that time he only knew of two engines like that in Australia, the one in Jim's car, and the spare for it. I am not really sure what HP this engine would put out, but there is a tag under the bonnet on the front nose cone section of the car, it is pop riveted on there and reads [ 7 387 ]. Does anyone know what this tag represents?, I am wondering if the 7 represents the stage seven racing engine and the 387 represents the HP rating, but honestly I have no idea??????. The engine is a beautifully running engine and revs and runs just like a racing engine, revs so free and picks up so quickly, but not sure on all of this. When I purchased the car in Brisbane in 2000 it had a M badge in the grill, and the one on the boot was missing, asked BMW parts to purchase a new M badge for the boot lid, but they told me they needed the vehicle identification numbers and would have to go and get the car checked and authenticated before they could sell me the badge, as they only supply those badges to genuine cars only. I sent them the details and they came back saying they were authorised to sell me the M badge for the boot lid???, all I can imagine from that is that BMW cleared the car as a M/TECH? and therefore can run the M badge on the car???, but again this is all questions by me and not answers. When I rebuilt the car I found it was also running full BMW motor-sports suspension. I believe the car was first registered new in UK, {Scotland or England} as 733 PJH registration number in the UK zone, and then came to Australia in the mid 80s or around that time, but due to all the privacy acts and secrecy privacy legislation here in Australia and the UK I have not been able to trace anything on this car. If anyone can assist me with some knowledge on this car and the build of it, that would be greatly appreciated. Stuart.

This is also in my garage section with photos of the car
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Amazing and fabulous !!!!
You should post this on the M6 section if the M5board.com. Those guys would love to see this.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Scotty

Thanks, will look at that site. There are so many unanswered questions I have in that write up, I am looking for anyone who may be able to assist with answers to any or some of the questions, thanks again. Stuart.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bruce88 View Post
Thanks, will look at that site. There are so many unanswered questions I have in that write up, I am looking for anyone who may be able to assist with answers to any or some of the questions, thanks again. Stuart.
It's a pretty unusual beast. Maybe someone there can help. Sounds like a rare find.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
It does sound like a rare find!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Scotty

Thanks for the comment, do you know if the tag on the nose cone under the bonnet 7 387 represents a stage seven engine in the car and 387 represents the rated HP?.