Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Tayrum Tayrum is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X3
Question Rolling when in gear

It seems my original post disappeared. Here goes again:

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced this problem. I was parked on a hill with the nose of my car facing downhill. To get out of my spot I had to reverse a bit. When I put the car into reverse and took my foot off the brake the car started to roll forward! This has also happend when parked in the reverse direction - put the car in drive, take the foot off the brake and it rolls backwards.

Not sure if this is something that I need to take it in for and if anyone has had this happen or has an explanation I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2.5 - automatic transmission
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-23-2005, 07:00 AM
LmtdSlip's Avatar
LmtdSlip LmtdSlip is offline
Do the interns get Glocks
Location: The Sunshine City
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 9,309
Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
How far is the car rolling.....Like down the street? or a few inches?
__________________


Photobucket

Last edited by LmtdSlip; 06-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 AM
johnlew's Avatar
johnlew johnlew is offline
************************* ***
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,821
Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Did you try giving it a little gas before lifting off the brake? If the incline is great enough, gravity will exceed the engine's ability to hold the car at idle.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Tayrum Tayrum is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
How far is the car rolling.....Like down the street? or a few inches?

More like a foot or more by the time I hit the gas which wasn't that long. I live in an area in Toronto near the lake where there are streets with lots of hills so I am noticing this happening probably more than most. It was surprising how far I went in a matter of moments and I am fairly quick to get to the gas having just given up my Saab which was a standard. I did not expect this with an automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Tayrum Tayrum is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlew
Did you try giving it a little gas before lifting off the brake? If the incline is great enough, gravity will exceed the engine's ability to hold the car at idle.

No I did not. Just put it into reverse, took my foot off the brake and instantly started to roll.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM
jmacsf jmacsf is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0, 2002BoxsterS
Happens to me all the time in San Francisco - kind of a bummer, I thought the X3 would hold on a hill when you were going forward at least (like when stopped on a hill and the traffic light turns green) but it doesn't seem to. Guess you have to buy a Range Rover to have that feature. Of course, having the automatic does provide some engine braking so it's still way easier and drifts much less than on my other stick shift car. Poeple that live in SF are smart enough to leave room between cars on hills - tourists are another story of course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 PM
joeydosh joeydosh is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 80
Mein Auto: X3, 3.0 - Silver
Would the button that shows the X3 in an inclinded position (as if on a hill) be useful in this situation? I haven't figured out what it's purpose is - yet!
__________________
X3 3.0L Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Leather, Premium, Heated Seats, PDC, Rear Air Bags (deactivated)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Woody Woody is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Irvine, Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydosh
Would the button that shows the X3 in an inclinded position (as if on a hill) be useful in this situation? I haven't figured out what it's purpose is - yet!
It is HDC Hill Decent Control. Mostly used for downhill off road driving. I guess you could try it . In my experience when the computer notices the car go over a certain speed when the system is activated it then applies the ABS to slow the car down. It isn't like on the 745's that have the auto park brake feature on the steering wheel so you can take your foot of the brake when at a stop light.
__________________
Woody



BMW CCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
JG's Avatar
JG JG is offline
TTSam
Location: GTA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 745
Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayrum
It seems my original post disappeared. Here goes again:

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced this problem. I was parked on a hill with the nose of my car facing downhill. To get out of my spot I had to reverse a bit. When I put the car into reverse and took my foot off the brake the car started to roll forward! This has also happend when parked in the reverse direction - put the car in drive, take the foot off the brake and it rolls backwards.

Not sure if this is something that I need to take it in for and if anyone has had this happen or has an explanation I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2.5 - automatic transmission
Not a great solution - but what about using the hand brake - reving a bit in reverse - then letting the hand brake go?

I am surprised to hear that the tansmission does not lock - from rolling forward more than a few inches a foot or more is a bit much..........

Speaking of HDC - I will have to try and see how this feature works.

Anybody tried it?
__________________
When in doubt - pass out!
E92 M3 AW
535i xDrive M Sports Carbon Black
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Tayrum Tayrum is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Not a great solution - but what about using the hand brake - reving a bit in reverse - then letting the hand brake go?

I am surprised to hear that the tansmission does not lock - from rolling forward more than a few inches a foot or more is a bit much..........

Speaking of HDC - I will have to try and see how this feature works.

Anybody tried it?

I haven't tried that but will. I if it works I'll let everyone know.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-24-2005, 07:22 PM
tromar1's Avatar
tromar1 tromar1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Souf Jersey
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 283
Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
I tried the hill decent only once. It was a little hill in Manayunk, Philadelphia. It basically slowed the vehicle and maintained the speed so that i didn't have to ride the brakes.

I even tested it further by applying the gas to speed up as necessary. It worked. However, i don't think i'll ever need to use it again, unless i live in San Fran or somewhere hilly.
__________________
Troy D. -
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Ratio Calculator? Gus E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) 4 04-10-2012 07:08 AM
What Gear? icemanjs4 E46 (1999 - 2006) 13 05-02-2005 07:19 PM
good launch for ZHP cheng6991 E46 (1999 - 2006) 13 04-07-2005 10:42 PM
6th gear argument rehashed allaboutme 3 Series / 4 Series 135 06-25-2004 06:23 AM
different gear positioning akbmw81 3 Series / 4 Series 5 09-02-2003 06:25 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms