Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Question Rolling when in gear

It seems my original post disappeared. Here goes again:

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced this problem. I was parked on a hill with the nose of my car facing downhill. To get out of my spot I had to reverse a bit. When I put the car into reverse and took my foot off the brake the car started to roll forward! This has also happend when parked in the reverse direction - put the car in drive, take the foot off the brake and it rolls backwards.

Not sure if this is something that I need to take it in for and if anyone has had this happen or has an explanation I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2.5 - automatic transmission
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
How far is the car rolling.....Like down the street? or a few inches?

Photobucket

Last edited by LmtdSlip; 06-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Did you try giving it a little gas before lifting off the brake? If the incline is great enough, gravity will exceed the engine's ability to hold the car at idle.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
How far is the car rolling.....Like down the street? or a few inches?

More like a foot or more by the time I hit the gas which wasn't that long. I live in an area in Toronto near the lake where there are streets with lots of hills so I am noticing this happening probably more than most. It was surprising how far I went in a matter of moments and I am fairly quick to get to the gas having just given up my Saab which was a standard. I did not expect this with an automatic.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlew
Did you try giving it a little gas before lifting off the brake? If the incline is great enough, gravity will exceed the engine's ability to hold the car at idle.

No I did not. Just put it into reverse, took my foot off the brake and instantly started to roll.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0, 2002BoxsterS
Happens to me all the time in San Francisco - kind of a bummer, I thought the X3 would hold on a hill when you were going forward at least (like when stopped on a hill and the traffic light turns green) but it doesn't seem to. Guess you have to buy a Range Rover to have that feature. Of course, having the automatic does provide some engine braking so it's still way easier and drifts much less than on my other stick shift car. Poeple that live in SF are smart enough to leave room between cars on hills - tourists are another story of course.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 3.0 - Silver
Would the button that shows the X3 in an inclinded position (as if on a hill) be useful in this situation? I haven't figured out what it's purpose is - yet!
Old 06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydosh
Would the button that shows the X3 in an inclinded position (as if on a hill) be useful in this situation? I haven't figured out what it's purpose is - yet!
It is HDC Hill Decent Control. Mostly used for downhill off road driving. I guess you could try it . In my experience when the computer notices the car go over a certain speed when the system is activated it then applies the ABS to slow the car down. It isn't like on the 745's that have the auto park brake feature on the steering wheel so you can take your foot of the brake when at a stop light.

BMW CCA Member
Old 06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayrum
It seems my original post disappeared. Here goes again:

I am curious to know if any of you have experienced this problem. I was parked on a hill with the nose of my car facing downhill. To get out of my spot I had to reverse a bit. When I put the car into reverse and took my foot off the brake the car started to roll forward! This has also happend when parked in the reverse direction - put the car in drive, take the foot off the brake and it rolls backwards.

Not sure if this is something that I need to take it in for and if anyone has had this happen or has an explanation I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2.5 - automatic transmission
Not a great solution - but what about using the hand brake - reving a bit in reverse - then letting the hand brake go?

I am surprised to hear that the tansmission does not lock - from rolling forward more than a few inches a foot or more is a bit much..........

Speaking of HDC - I will have to try and see how this feature works.

Anybody tried it?
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 06-24-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Not a great solution - but what about using the hand brake - reving a bit in reverse - then letting the hand brake go?

I am surprised to hear that the tansmission does not lock - from rolling forward more than a few inches a foot or more is a bit much..........

Speaking of HDC - I will have to try and see how this feature works.

Anybody tried it?

I haven't tried that but will. I if it works I'll let everyone know.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
I tried the hill decent only once. It was a little hill in Manayunk, Philadelphia. It basically slowed the vehicle and maintained the speed so that i didn't have to ride the brakes.

I even tested it further by applying the gas to speed up as necessary. It worked. However, i don't think i'll ever need to use it again, unless i live in San Fran or somewhere hilly.