Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 3.0 - Silver
Disarming Rear Airbags

Anyone know how to do this? I sometimes travel with three dog crates in the vehicle and I'm worried that if the rear airbags would engage that it would force would cause the crates to explode. Any thoughts? Dealer said they couldn't help me!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I was told by my dealer a while ago that the airbags could be deactivated (actually, it was the salesman during his spiel). That said, you might want to investigate further whether it's really necessary to deactivate the rear bags; my understanding is that they are small and do not extend very far into the rear seat area when deployed. Especially since you paid extra for the option, it would seem a waste of money to have them deactivated; it is unfortunately not a simple on/off switch that you can access. Just my two cents...
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Do you have to pay extra for the rear airbags? My X3 came with rear airbags and I didn't pay for it. Actually, the salesman seamed surprised that they were there but didn't make a big deal about it.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V
Do you have to pay extra for the rear airbags? My X3 came with rear airbags and I didn't pay for it. Actually, the salesman seamed surprised that they were there but didn't make a big deal about it.
The head protection system, front and rear, was standard in 2004, but the rear-door- mounted side-impact airbags were an option. Don't know about 2005.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:18 PM

I'm sure you're right that I paid extra for them in the deal - since I bought a certified X3 that had been in the dealer loaner program - they were part of the package. I wish they had an off sensor like the front passenger side has.

I will ask in the service department at the dealership.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Rear side head protection airbags (curtain style) are standard in the '05 X3.

Rear side torso protection airbags (erupting from the door) are an extra cost option on the '05 X3 (Opt. 261, $385 MSRP). Even if you order these, they will be shipped to the dealer deactivated. The dealer will activiate them only on your request. The dealer is supposed to place a sticker to on the rear door indicating the activiation status (so a future owner can tell).

What follows is probably more info than you wanted, but here it is in case anyone else is interested in the subject...

I just spent quite a few hours digging this stuff up to help me decide whether or not I wanted the option in a new X3. I decided against the option because I formed the opinion that someone who is napping in the rear seat with their head near the door could be seriously injured in the event of a torso airbag deployment.

Note that I emphasize in my post the difference between side torso and side head protection airbags - two different beasts. Unfortunately, much of the literature just talks about "side air bags" and does not distinguish between the two...

Page 31 of the '05 Owner's Manual:
If your vehicle is equipped with rear side airbags, do not allow children to lean toward the door trim, as serious injuries could occur if the side airbags are deployed and children are too close to the airbags.
Deactivating side airbags in the rear
Labels in the rear door opening should indicate the status of your rear seat side airbags. If you are uncertain of their status, or wish to have the airbags activated or deactivated, please contact your BMW Sports Activity Vehicle Center.

Here is an article on rear side torso airbags on Edmunds.com: http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/saf...3/article.html. And here is the list from the NHSTA about who has 'em and who does not: http://www.safercar.gov/SideAirBags.cfm (note that Volvo, does not offer the rear side torso airbag, even as an option). Here are the NHSTA FAQ's about side air bags: http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/pages/SABFAQs.htm

Greg

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine

Last edited by Liverman; 06-24-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydosh
Anyone know how to do this? I sometimes travel with three dog crates in the vehicle and I'm worried that if the rear airbags would engage that it would force would cause the crates to explode. Any thoughts? Dealer said they couldn't help me!
I travel often with 2 or 3 crates - with the seats folded down (and the rear bench removed for that matter).

I don't think it is an issue - although you have me wondering now

If the bags deployed - would it not just buffer the crate.

I usually tie all my crates down very tightly to the floor rails............

Are you using Vari-kennels or metal crates. It would take a lot of pressure to make a dent in a Vari-kennel.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 06-24-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
Are you using Vari-kennels or metal crates. It would take a lot of pressure to make a dent in a Vari-kennel.
I am using Vari-Kennels. I think I need to do some more talking with the service department.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:47 PM

Greg:
Thanks for all the info!
Old 06-24-2005, 04:42 PM

Greg:
The information you posted, matches exactly with what the dealer told me, this evening! -- Curtain airbargs are standard - they are a small tube that deploys just along the window - so probably wouldn't interfer with a crate. Torso airbags (which is installed on my X3) - from the factory is deactivated and is only activated at the customer's request and a sticker must be affixed to the vehicle to indicate that it has been activated! (Mine have not been)!

Whew.. I feel so much better now!

Thanks for all the info, Greg!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
TTSam

Quote:
Greg:
The information you posted, matches exactly with what the dealer told me, this evening! -- Curtain airbargs are standard - they are a small tube that deploys just along the window - so probably wouldn't interfer with a crate. Torso airbags (which is installed on my X3) - from the factory is deactivated and is only activated at the customer's request and a sticker must be affixed to the vehicle to indicate that it has been activated! (Mine have not been)!

Whew.. I feel so much better now!

Thanks for all the info, Greg!
joeydosh..........

Your sig shows PDQ? is that not PDC (park distance control)?

Of course it could be 'Physician Data Query' as PDQ is known in the medical world.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
Is it me or does the Extra cost option on the air bags seem to be more of a Hazard then safty feature??? I have yet to hear a good reason to have them, just all the Caution and Warning serious injury signs.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8998
Is it me or does the Extra cost option on the air bags seem to be more of a Hazard then safty feature??? I have yet to hear a good reason to have them, just all the Caution and Warning serious injury signs.
I think that in some cases it can be a hazard - kids sprawled out napping, for example.

If you're pretty certain that your rear seat occupants are going to be adults and are going to be in the proper, belted seating position, then I think they are a great idea - just like the side torso air bags in the front.

I believe that car manufacturers figure that it is more likely that there will be small persons and especially small persons out of position in the rear than in the front...hence, optional - let the end customer decide. I like that actually - I'm a grown person and can decide for myself once I get the data.

I expect that in a few years the smart guys and gals in the white lab coats will have figured out how to mitigate the dangers and we'll see them as standard equipment. Also a good idea...what I really want is some sort of personal force field that springs up around the car wen it is struck - repels other cars, trucks, bullets, you name it...

Greg

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 06-25-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG
joeydosh..........

Your sig shows PDQ? is that not PDC (park distance control)?

Of course it could be 'Physician Data Query' as PDQ is known in the medical world.
Pretty Darn Quick?
Of course, I meant PDC :-)
Old 06-25-2005, 08:23 PM
TTSam

Quote:
Pretty Darn Quick?
Of course, I meant PDC :-)
Actually - 'pretty darn quick' works for me.............
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired