Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-24-2005, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 94 325i Convertible
help identify problem on instrument panel

Hi, please help me identify a symbol on my instrument panel. Unfortunatley, I do not have a manual. I have a 94 325i convertible and one light keeps flashing on my instrument panel. It looks like a tire with an exclamation point in the middle, it is orange. It also resembles the outline of a nut (like what would work with "nuts" and bolts). Imagine a nut with an exclamation point in the middle of it. If I remember correctly, it is between the "check engine light" and the "check system" light. Regardless, I seriously need to know what this warning light means. My car seems to lose forward power when this light comes on. I hope this is something that will not cost a lot to repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
I had the same problem for awhile and actually it just stopped coming on after a day or so...Someone told me that symbol means the car is in limp mode meaning your computer is picking up a problem and to prevent anymore damage to the car it puts it in that limp mode wich gives u a very sluggish accelartion, but enough so you can get it to a shop and get it checked out..I would have to say is clear the codes from your computer
Old 06-24-2005, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 93 325is
Just flashing

The light you describe indicates check transmission. Does it just come on momentarily when you start your car, when all the other indicator lights come on? or is it always on when the car is on. If it is on solid while you are driving you car is probably in 3rd gear the entire time unless you put it in 2nd or 1st, robbing you of performance and efficiency. The most common problem is low transmission fluid, check that, otherwise I would have a mechanic look at it soon as possible.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the replies

The light only comes on every now and then. When it comes on it, the car idles a little and then all seems ok again. I thank you for the information that each of you have provided. I will check the transmission fluid immediatley. Vint... you mentioned the car may be in third gird, if this is the case, how do I move it to 1st or 2nd? The car is an automatic. To the left of the gear shift, btwn the shift and the windo controls there is one togle switch that has an "A" and a "M". It is currently set on the "A". Does this have anything to do with this.

As always, any thing that any of you can add is greatly appreciated.

SMILE!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 325I
I have an automatic too and the dealer said it always should stay on the A for automatic and the M is for manual, whats the difference between putting it in M or A im not sure..I thought the same thing when it happened to me about it being the tranny too. But the tranny was fine and the only thing they said needed to be done was the flex disc.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:31 AM
LoneStarM3

Mein Auto: 06 M3 Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmwgal
Hi, please help me identify a symbol on my instrument panel. Unfortunatley, I do not have a manual. I have a 94 325i convertible and one light keeps flashing on my instrument panel. It looks like a tire with an exclamation point in the middle, it is orange. It also resembles the outline of a nut (like what would work with "nuts" and bolts). Imagine a nut with an exclamation point in the middle of it. If I remember correctly, it is between the "check engine light" and the "check system" light. Regardless, I seriously need to know what this warning light means. My car seems to lose forward power when this light comes on. I hope this is something that will not cost a lot to repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
This refers to SMG, but light probably has similar meaning with automatic:

"Indicator lamp
The gearbox indicator lamp in
the instrument cluster goes out
after the engine is started.
>If it does not go out, or if it lights up
during driving, a malfunction has
occurred. The available functions
may be limited under certain circumstances.
Drive carefully and with the Dynamic
Stability Control (DSC) activated.
Have the system checked by the
nearest BMW center
>If the indicator lamp flashes while
driving, the system is overloaded.
Avoid high loads until the indicator
lamp goes out again permanently."
Old 06-25-2005, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 93 325is
A M switch

If your warning light is on solid and while in gear the transmission will be in third, if you must drive do this: From a stop put the car in 1 or 2 for better acceleration (it will still be sluggish) and as you speed up and the RPMs increase move the shift lever to 3.

A M switch: This allows you to select automatic or manual transmission shift modes. When you start the car it is always in A until you select M. If you select M overdrive is not available and the car will be in the gear that the selector indicates. Press M at a stop put the car in 1 and accelerate, shifting to 2, 3, and back down when you come to a stop. This function is mostly a novelty in my opinion, unless the roads are icy. In slick conditions put the car in M and start in 2 or 3 and your car will be more controlled and less likely to spin the rear tires.

One more fun thing: If you are in a mood for performance, put the shift indicator in 3 instead of the drive position, this changes the shift algorithm in the trans. computer so you will get higher RPMs and firmer shifts as you accelerate, on my car it really makes a difference.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: '96 328ic
Exclamation "A/M"

The 3rd gear position really helps out in the ol' speed dept. I found out today with some time trials!!! The "M" button should only be used in slower more controlled driving conditions as it will stay in whatever gear you have selected. Also when you turn the ignition off the "A/M" switches back to "A" as a default>
Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice. I am new to these boards, but I know already that I will definitely drop in on a regular basis. Reading these boards is like taking an automotive course dedicated to BMWs. I greatly appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

Safe and Happy Driving to you all!

SMILE!!!!