Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Jas

Mein Auto: -
#%@& catchy doors?

anyone elses door need two openings to get out? pull the lever and push from inside and and the door doesnt move release and push again and it opens. My wife is really getting annoyed with it (and so am i really) all the doors seem to do it and when i had a 1 series loaner this week it did ot too? whats gives?
(ive had the cart for a couple of thousand k's now so standby for the odd niggle posting)
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0
You pull the door handle once and it unlocks the door.
You pull the door handle a second time and it opens up.

Is that what you are talking about?
For the first few days I was thrown off about that too till I realized what the process was and it just wasn't something I was doing.

I haven't read the whole manual yet so I am not sure if there is an explanation of that process in there.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 3.0 - Silver
It is that way if you have the vehicle programmed to "lock" automatically at 5 mph. If you don't want the automatic lock feature than you only have to pull the handle 1X inside to get out. So, you have to pick two times or no automatic locks..
Old 06-24-2005, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0i
Saftey feature.
If the door is locked and you want to open you have to unlock it first.
You can unlock it by depressing the button in the middle of the dash then pull the door handlt to open the door.
You can also unlock the door by pulling the handle once, then once again if you want to open it.
Most vehicles just do not let you open the door with the door pull at all, if it is locked.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Jas

hmm

guess im used to my last german car that also had the 'lock on drive off' feature but only needed one pull to get out. seems like a strange bit of design really. cant understand why regardless of locked or unlocked, one pull on the handle should get you out. might think about disabling it but love the obvious safety it provides. I guess you guys are used to it maybe i will too.
j
Old 06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to stangmatt66
Mein Auto: '07 BMW X3 3.0si
VW's with the auto-lock feature only require 1 pull to exit if the doors are locked. Half a pull unlocks the door and a full pull unlocks and opens.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrove
guess im used to my last german car that also had the 'lock on drive off' feature but only needed one pull to get out. seems like a strange bit of design really. cant understand why regardless of locked or unlocked, one pull on the handle should get you out. might think about disabling it but love the obvious safety it provides. I guess you guys are used to it maybe i will too.
j
Giddhey Mate:

Funny you say us guys are use to it...I've had my X3 since 05/04 and still haven't gotten use to it yet.

I'm actually taking mine back to be reprogrammed so that the doors don't lock 15 seconds after driving.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingrove
anyone elses door need two openings to get out? pull the lever and push from inside and and the door doesnt move release and push again and it opens. My wife is really getting annoyed with it (and so am i really) all the doors seem to do it and when i had a 1 series loaner this week it did ot too? whats gives?
(ive had the cart for a couple of thousand k's now so standby for the odd niggle posting)

I agree that it is a bit of a pain and I do understand that it is also a safety feature. What I do when others are in the car is after putting the car in park I hit the unlock button just above the center console air vents (the white button under the hazards) which instantly unlocks all doors including the trunk.

Hope this makes it easier. If you have kids I wouldn't deprogram the autolock after the car reaches a certain speed.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
My Freelander had this feature as well. It's sort of strange but you get used to it. What I still haven't gotten used to, after 3 years, is that since you only unlock your door to get out all the other doors are still locked and I always forget that when I need to get my dogs out of the back seat. But hey, it's no big deal.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw X3
Okay, okay. I understand your complants, but here me out.

Your pulling into your drive way in your new X3 and you park. You go towards the handle to open the door but it takes you two pulls to open it. Once to unlock it, and then another to open the door. Inconvience? a Hassle? it takes a split second to pull it twice. Okay, okay but still you dont want to pull it twice cuz your not used to it. well there are certain vehicals like the VW that unlock on half pull and open on a full. Yes those are the best, but for most other cars when you reach for the handle to open the door, its locked, but you cannot pull it again to open it. Infact you have to reach up and unlock the door on the dashboard and then proceed to open the door.

Now which way seems less of a hassle. Pulling the handle twice, or reaching back for the dashboard unlock button? Hopefully that helps you feel a little less annoyed about the safty feature BMW put on there cars. But just so you dont get the wrong opinion, I too wish they were like the VW's handle, but two pulls isnt that hard either.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: exBMW X3 & MB C240/ML350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo8998
Okay, okay. I understand your complants, but here me out.

Your pulling into your drive way in your new X3 and you park. You go towards the handle to open the door but it takes you two pulls to open it. Once to unlock it, and then another to open the door. Inconvience? a Hassle? it takes a split second to pull it twice. Okay, okay but still you dont want to pull it twice cuz your not used to it. well there are certain vehicals like the VW that unlock on half pull and open on a full. Yes those are the best, but for most other cars when you reach for the handle to open the door, its locked, but you cannot pull it again to open it. Infact you have to reach up and unlock the door on the dashboard and then proceed to open the door.

Now which way seems less of a hassle. Pulling the handle twice, or reaching back for the dashboard unlock button? Hopefully that helps you feel a little less annoyed about the safty feature BMW put on there cars. But just so you dont get the wrong opinion, I too wish they were like the VW's handle, but two pulls isnt that hard either.
Agreed.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:57 AM
Turn it up!!!

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
get the dealer to disable it

When I ordered it, we went through safety features, like doors locking, day time running lights, etc.

They can change it for you if it continues to be an issue. Personally, I had all that stuff disabled. I'm not into having to deal with it...

To each his own
Old 06-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Jas

it all started when i wanted to disable the equally pointless 'one press for driver door, two presses for all doors' thing, now everything opens together which is great but off course now i drive off and it all locks again. I love the anti highjacking aspect but as soon as i jump out to get anything from the boot or get out to open the kids doors etc they are all still locked of course so even to open the boot i have to go back into the car to either press the unlock button or pull out the keys to do it. aargh maybe theres a setting for 'one door opens = all unlock' as that would solve it, I jump out and the boot unlocks and the kids doors unlock, that would also mean no one else would have to do the 'two handle pull' to get out.

Cant believe its all this complicated really.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Jas

Also,
anyone know what these programmable functions actually mean?

Lock after unlock, without open.
Active
= Not Active

Panic mode
= Active
Not Active

Open tailgate
Active
= Not Active