Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 325i Sport
Cold Start Squeaking Noise Update

I posted about squeaking noise from engine at cold start awhile back. I finally brought it to the dealer yesterday to get it fixed. Alot people have different opinions about being normal noise or belt tensioner. I am just glad that it got fixed under warranty.

The tech confirmed the squealing noise. Verified that it was coming from mechanical belt tensioner. He replaced the mechanical belt tensioner with hydraulic tensioner. It looks like an update. Our 02-325i has a low mileage (22,500miles). The noise started at the 3rd year.

Is this a common problem with 325i engine?

I hope this resolves the problem. I just got the car today. I will check in am if that squealing noise is gone.

MY 02-325i
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2005, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330xi
Squeaking noise

Was that noise happening only when the car was cold or at all times? Thx.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: '02 325i Sport
Smile

It only happens in morning cold start, it only last for a few seconds and dissipates afterwards. It will not happen until the next morning. I didn't hear the noise this morning when I started it. I guess replacing the mechanical tensioner with hydraulic fixed the problem.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M Sport Tourer (F31)
Hi MC,
Regarding squeaking on cold starting, my car has just started to do this very noise!
It is a 325i Sport Tourer 2002 with 76,000 miles on the clock.
Do you have any idea of the cost of putting this right?
It sounds as if it would be costly if not under warranty!
Will it damage any other part if left?
Any help would be greatly received,
Cheers,
Paul.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Does it get louder when you put it in gear?

My car starts up pretty quietly but when I put it in reverse to get out of the garage I get a loud squealing sound. It only lasts for a few seconds then its quiet from then on.

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"
Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

I have just tried it now! First started then selected reverse but no change in note! Just sounds as if I have a small mouse under there!
The noise vanished with in 8 seconds. So won't do it until morning now.

Last time I had a noise like that was in my Honda Prelude tiptronic, and that was the gearbox and the noise was there all the time! Found out it was the clutches braking up and blocking the gearbox oil strainer! Not good

But this goes, so I hope it is not as bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Yep, this is a known issue - there's even a service bulletin calling for the replacement of the mechanical belt tensioner with a hydraulic one. I don't remember where in production they switched to the hydraulic... sometime in late 02/early 03 I think.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Yep, this is a known issue - there's even a service bulletin calling for the replacement of the mechanical belt tensioner with a hydraulic one. I don't remember where in production they switched to the hydraulic... sometime in late 02/early 03 I think.

KrisL - Is there a current service bulletin on this or is there one upcoming. My car is still under warantee and making this noise. I don't want to take it to the dealer and get the runaround.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by link01 View Post
KrisL - Is there a current service bulletin on this or is there one upcoming. My car is still under warantee and making this noise. I don't want to take it to the dealer and get the runaround.

It's been out for years - I found it once searching around e46fanatics...
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM

I am guessing as it is not a safety modification, then only if cars showing signs of this noise in the warrenty period then BMW will fix them for free?

As I am out of warrenty! How much will this repair cost, remembering I am in UK!
Cheers,
Paul.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWmungry View Post
I am guessing that as it is not a safety modification, then only if cars showed signs of this noise in the warrenty period BMW fixed them for free?

As I am out of warrenty! How much will this repair cost, remebering I am in UK!
Cheers,
Paul.
The list of parts required were in a post over on e46fanatics.com - I think they're under $100.

Probably an hour or two of labor.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM

So Probably 50 notes and 4 hours for UK stealers (I mean Dealers)!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw 330ci
squealing at cold start

2005 bmw 330ci:had squealing at cold startups. as i drove a few minutes it went away.
the belt tensioner PULLEY was replaced. 2 weeks later it started squealing again but
this time the light for oil warning came on AFTER shutting off engine.
i added half a quart of oil, so far no more squealing.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
They switched as of August 02. My car has June 02 production year and I missed it by 2 months

OP, if you think you have a problem then see the videos below. I am pretty sure the noise you have nothing comapring to what I have.
This started after I completed cooling system overhaul.
I worked on it a few days but couldn't find it. I am not in Orlando at the moment and I will deal with it when I get back. Hopefully it will be tensione, idler pulley or driverbelt..

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=squeaky+noise
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
I have changed all pulleys, the belts is a like new, hydraulic is looking new too. But it's squeaking a little in morning. I have just gave up on it. Also I am thinking, it's more to do with air pump, because as soon last one shut down, a squeak is gone too. Coincidence? May be , but it does same thing for last 5 months. May be it's a belt, after small warmed up, stopping a squeak.
I'm following a one rule, it's not broken, don't touch it.

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 10-12-2009, 07:48 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Check your belts and pulleys.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
2002 325xi

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
I've had this problem last winter, and have noticed in my service history that my belt tensioner was "fixed" twice because or squeaking noise coming from under the hood. It eventually went away and off my mind. Haven't happened to me this year yet, but it is only starting to get cold.
If anyone runs across the DIY to change from a mechanical to a Hydraulic tensioner, please link it!

"to each his own"
Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xecure View Post
If anyone runs across the DIY to change from a mechanical to a Hydraulic tensioner, please link it!
Here you go but remember it may be something else...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ulic+tensioner
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Cold start squeal is a mystery!

Mine only squeals during the duration of the secondary air pump being ON. AS soon as the air pump stops the squeals stops. Now how do you like that, I have been chasing this on and off for three years now. The only thing I didn't replace was the alternator.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlfly View Post
I have changed all pulleys, the belts is a like new, hydraulic is looking new too. But it's squeaking a little in morning. I have just gave up on it. Also I am thinking, it's more to do with air pump, because as soon last one shut down, a squeak is gone too. Coincidence? May be , but it does same thing for last 5 months. May be it's a belt, after small warmed up, stopping a squeak.
I'm following a one rule, it's not broken, don't touch it.
I read the report of one guy with the same problem who changed all the pulleys and had "like new" belt...The noise was still there...He was...and And yes...it was the belt.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I read the report of one guy with the same problem who changed all the pulleys and had "like new" belt...The noise was still there...He was...and And yes...it was the belt.
Could you expand on that a little, Starless?

I'm getting the same chirp, chirp chirp... A few weeks ago only for a minute on start-up, but now pretty much all the time. I had belts and hoses replaced this summer, so I wouldn't think it would be the belt, but maybe it would be after all. Is this not uncommon with new belts, either from a poor belt or bad tension or something?...

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
I'm very sure that it your pulleys. I finally resolved mine by replace all the pulleys.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330Cic
My 06 had the sqeal at start up for the first minute or so and I feared the pulley tensioner (started around 19k). I was still under warranty so I took it in and of course the dealer couldn't replicate. I took it in again once more when it was colder out last fall and they were able to replicate. They replaced the belt and have not had the problem since. I don't drive in the winter (vert) so I wanted to wait until I have driven it for several months this summer to post. I'm sure the tensioner can cause problems, especially as the miles get up there, but it looks like the belt replacement solved my problem (3k additional miles on car since replacement).
Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
I have a 2003 325i- bought new. The noise started on cold startup only at about 5K. Everything was replaced under warranty at least twice. Never got it to stop. They replaced the water pump, pulleys, tensioners, belts, etc. I now have 174K on the car. Same noise almost every morning.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330Cic
It would be interesting to diagnose the source of your squealing. I did not diagnose mine since I was under warranty, but I would think a stethascope might narrow things down. The belt I had looked perfect and had no isssues, but replacing it fixed it. I'm not sure a steth would be a good tool to tell you the belt is sqealing. I don't think changing a belt however would have fixed a idler pulley or alternator bearing? If mine ever starts up again I'll post and go from there. I was surprised that the belt fixed mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp View Post
I have a 2003 325i- bought new. The noise started on cold startup only at about 5K. Everything was replaced under warranty at least twice. Never got it to stop. They replaced the water pump, pulleys, tensioners, belts, etc. I now have 174K on the car. Same noise almost every morning.