Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-04-2005, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325CIC
HELP!! Keys locked in trunk!!!

HELP!!! My keys are locked in the trunk! of my 2002 BMW 325CIC.

Apparently no locksmiths will attempt to get into a BMW trunk. The trunk release button apparently does not work without the keys in the ignition!

I have no spare keys available (except in a bag in the trunk...figures...)

Can anyone help me get in there? I have the ski bag package but cannot get that access panel off from inside the car apparently it has a latch to disconnect it...you guessed it...IN THE TRUNK!

HELP!!!!!!!! The dealers tell me I have to tow the car there, request a new key, and wait several days. Isn't there some other option!!!!?!

Thanks,

Andy
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to amt7565
Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Don't you have that small plastic key you are given at the time of owernership? It's supposed to stay in your wallet.

Someone here will post soon. Perhaps they have an idea.

2013 X5 White| Base Model|
Old 07-04-2005, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
My 325 doesn't have it, but with some 325s (the ones with the sports package?) the fold down center console in the rear seat has a pass through for skis. If you can get to the fold down release for the seats via that pass through - maybe by using a dowel of wood to push on the release - or otherwise get the seats to fold down, you should be able get to your keys, they bags, and/or the interior release for the trunk.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 323ci
the release button should still work mine works without the key in the ignition?

AA supercharger
PSS9's,uuc sways,front and rear stut bars
19"ace spyders,235fr,265r sp 9000
Brembo BBK front and rear
alacantra steering wheel
leatherZ gauge kit,aluminum pedals,clutch stop
www.e46psi.com
dyno 275.4 rwhp
Old 07-04-2005, 09:27 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e popa
the release button should still work mine works without the key in the ignition?
As it does on my car. But I don't believe the in-car release works, whether you have the key in the ignition or not) if you have the trunk lock set to the "valet" position, though the original poster doesn't mention if this is the case.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
As it does on my car. But I don't believe the in-car release works, whether you have the key in the ignition or not) if you have the trunk lock set to the "valet" position, though the original poster doesn't mention if this is the case.
Argh!!! Couldn't edit this.... It should read that "the in-car release works whether the key is in the ignition or not".

Old 07-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt7565
Don't you have that small plastic key you are given at the time of owernership? It's supposed to stay in your wallet.
I would have the plastic key in my wallet, but it broke while in my pocket on my key ring before my car even made it to the U.S.

It figures that someone with a convertible would lock their keys in the car. That's probably why your truck release button functions differently than others.

How much will it cost to replace the latch on ski-bag pass thru? Its either that, or call BMW and wait for a replacement key. Good luck.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Grinning from ear to ear

Mein Auto: is way too fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
How much will it cost to replace the latch on ski-bag pass thru? Its either that, or call BMW and wait for a replacement key. Good luck.
At least youy have the option of only breaking the pass through instead of having to break a door. BMW are just a bit@# to get into if something happens. My Bimmer had a malfunction that allowed me to lock the keys in the car with the engine running. I've tried a few times and cannot reproduce this effect. the downside is - not even roadside assistance - through BMW- could get me back in my car. Thank goodness I had a spare key at home. (Of course my car was sitting outside of baggage claim at the airport and every 2 minutes a cop would come by and read me the riot act.

If the car is off - and the alarm isn't armed - you'd think a locksmith could simply pick the lock to the trunk no?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330CI Convertible
I hope your top was up.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:01 AM

Mein Auto: 323ci
So yeah. I totally did this too...I have a spare key, and the main part of the car is unlocked (so I can still drive it, thank goodness), but like you, the press release button on the kick board is deactivated. That's right, deactivated. I learned the hard way that by locking the trunk with your key (not the button), you have the option of making it impossible to open again without your button key. If you hadn't already said that you can't fold down your seats to get into the trunk I would suggest that...

Okay, well, to wrap this up I called a dealership and they told me there is basically no way of getting back into my trunk without ordering another $130 key. So it sucks. I feel for you, my friend.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e popa
....yeah that is odd....mine works fine too without my keys in the ignition.

Last edited by wwb4; 01-23-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF29229
HELP!!! My keys are locked in the trunk! of my 2002 BMW 325CIC.

Apparently no locksmiths will attempt to get into a BMW trunk. The trunk release button apparently does not work without the keys in the ignition!

I have no spare keys available (except in a bag in the trunk...figures...)

Can anyone help me get in there? I have the ski bag package but cannot get that access panel off from inside the car apparently it has a latch to disconnect it...you guessed it...IN THE TRUNK!

HELP!!!!!!!! The dealers tell me I have to tow the car there, request a new key, and wait several days. Isn't there some other option!!!!?!

Thanks,

Andy
why do you need to tow the car in? can't you just bring in a title or something showing proof of ownership?

agree, that a locksmith should be able to just pick the trunk lock since the auto door locks etc aren't activated
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E88 135 6 Spd
That really sucks. just so you know for the future, there is a nifty little trick that works with your cell phone. Since I have done exactly what you just did before, I keep my spare set with someone trustworthy. If/when I lock my keys in the trunk, I can call them from my cell phone and have them press either the door unlock buttons, or the trunk release button from there phone. I hold my cell phone a foot away from the car and have my buddy (my Mom in this case) press the button on the spare set, and Voila, it opens!

I know there are going to be tons of doubters out there, but just give it a shot. It works. And it has spared me the trouble you're going through now.

Good luck.

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

2005-2008: '05 330 E46cic//6 Speed//Jet Black//Black//Sports//Nav//Cold
Old 01-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is coupe
i dont beleive you, the key is a remote using some kind of radio wave or some electromagnetic wave, phone receivers only pick up changes in air pressure (sound) so it would be trying to send a tv picture through a phone and hopeing that, if the recieving end of the call had it close enough to the bunny ears of their tv that it would reproduce the picture, unless of course e46 keys use sound instead of radio waves
Old 01-23-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrocks_11
i dont beleive you, the key is a remote using some kind of radio wave or some electromagnetic wave, phone receivers only pick up changes in air pressure (sound) so it would be trying to send a tv picture through a phone and hopeing that, if the recieving end of the call had it close enough to the bunny ears of their tv that it would reproduce the picture, unless of course e46 keys use sound instead of radio waves
Spare me the technical jargon, Spock. Just do it!

Do it!

2008-2010: '08 335i E93//6 Speed//Monaco//Saddle Brown//Dark Burl//Sports//Cold//CA//Sat Radio//ED

Old 01-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookjohnson
I know there are going to be tons of doubters out there, but just give it a shot. It works. And it has spared me the trouble you're going through now.

Pure BS.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

If you tried it and it worked, then holding your key up to the phone gave the key some additional range... I suspect the car was still within a few hundred feet.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
Pure BS.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

If you tried it and it worked, then holding your key up to the phone gave the key some additional range... I suspect the car was still within a few hundred feet.
You are exactly right. I tested it as follows:

I took a set of keys and walked away from my car until the keys wouldn't unlock the doors anymore (I knew this by shouting to my brother as he stood by the car -- so yes, I was still in shouting range). Then I called my Bro's cell and put the key up to the phone and pressed it, and it opened the doors.

We repeated this test over and over at various distances, but all within shouting range, and it never failed. I was amazed.

Don't I feel like the big idiot now! However, before I concede complete defeat, I will have to check it out once more, but this time in a more suitable testing circumstance, i.e. miles away.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanjs4
BMW are just a bit@# to get into if something happens.
Except for a thief who would be in and out in about 10 seconds.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookjohnson
You are exactly right. I tested it as follows:

I took a set of keys and walked away from my car until the keys wouldn't unlock the doors anymore (I knew this by shouting to my brother as he stood by the car -- so yes, I was still in shouting range). Then I called my Bro's cell and put the key up to the phone and pressed it, and it opened the doors.

We repeated this test over and over at various distances, but all within shouting range, and it never failed. I was amazed.

Don't I feel like the big idiot now! However, before I concede complete defeat, I will have to check it out once more, but this time in a more suitable testing circumstance, i.e. miles away.
People all over the world wide web are sending their respective buddies down the block to try this!!! I did and lo and behold!!! NOT!!!