What did you cross shop against? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: A 4x4
What did you cross shop against?

Hey all,

First post here on Bimmerfest. I'm looking to replace my daily driver which is a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. Great vehicle but I'd really be fine with a much smaller car.

I'll be buying preowned 2016 MY or newer. Preference is for AWD. RWD is not an option for me.

Cars on my list:
- 228 X-Drive/235 X-Drive
- Audi S3
- Golf R

And... not sure what else to look at so I am wondering what you guys cross shopped. I don't really want anything midsized, so Q50, ATS/CTS are out etc. I don't want to stray from a more premium brand so WRX's are out etc... (The Golf R is a stretch for me).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 03:02 PM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
I cross-shopped nothing else. You can not match or surpass a 2 Series in it's price/size segment.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
VO over Oyster Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Fiery Orange IP Trim Wrap

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex
Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Ouch, couldn't do that.. ^^ this is like getting a food review from a critic that has only ever eaten at one restaurant but has read the menu at other restaurants.

At this price range I will be sure I am picking the right car. No doubt the 2-Series will impress but if you haven't even driven the other options .. that's a poor choice IMO.

The S3 stacks up very well in back to back driving tests as an FYI.

Last edited by Roddy13; 08-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy13 View Post
Ouch, couldn't do that.. ^^ this is like getting a food review from a critic that has only ever eaten at one restaurant but has read the menu at other restaurants.

At this price range I will be sure I am picking the right car. No doubt the 2-Series will impress but if you haven't even driven the other options .. that's a poor choice IMO.

The S3 stacks up very well in back to back driving tests as an FYI.
Nonsense. I'm not sure of your age nor experience, but after a few decades of car buying one can accumulate enough experience to rule out some alternatives before spending time in a showroom (true cross-shopping). If I want Peter Luger, I know not to bother visiting Ruth's Chris or Sizzler. You similarly eliminated WRX due to whatever apparent qualities were deal-breakers, so you are already showing this approach. My experience allows me to take it further.

I would not consider anything from VW/Audi due to very poor prior experience with quality, reliability, and deceptive customer relations practices. Plus, when the A3/S3 were launched, they were automatic trans only, so no reason for me to look in any event. When I did briefly sit in one at the NAIAS, the belt line was high enought to make it feel like sitting in a tub. I had come from MB, and knew enough about the poor platform capabilities of the front wheel drive CLA (all wheel drive is not for me) with mediocre handling and widely reported high levels of impact harshness that I did not need to take time to drive that knowing it would not compare favorably, plus simple photos demonstrated a very unappealing interior design with a "stick-on" center screen. I did not want anything Asian for lacking the more substantial feel of German products. So, dear forum colleague, this was not a poor decision process, but a more efficient and enlightened one which one can develop over time and experience. Good luck to you.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
VO over Oyster Dakota/Brushed Aluminum/Fiery Orange IP Trim Wrap

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/AS3 Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 ford ranger
I did not cross shop either. My previous ride with the 2016 ford mustang GT. I wanted similar performance but with a more refined handling, ride, and style. I also wanted rear wheel drive and a manual transmission. I did some research and then test drove an M 240i and did not feel the need to look any further. The car fit the bill perfectly.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT 6MT
The M240 with manual is a very powerful, agile, fun and attractive car. It is absolutely in the top echelon of any comparable car. Drive it and see if you agree - if you don;t buy something else.

Just be prepared to have regrets!
Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M235 '14 328d Touring
My cross shopping consisted of E46 M3, 335is, and my M235. Does that count?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
A GTI is worthy alternative to a 228i. Other than that there isn't really much choice for a small luxury car that is practical, and offers great driving dynamics.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Many of my buddies have the Golf R. With dedicated snows for winter it's a hoot to drive.
07 X3 - Sold
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Was trading in a 2015 Corvette. Was looking at BMW M2 or M240i, Audi TTS, Miata, and Porsche Cayman.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: M235i Convertible 2016
M235i Convertible vs Audi S3

S3:
+ 4WD; BHP; internal capacity passengers/luggage
- Hard, hard suspension; Suspension too low for snow; Cost fully-optioned*; 4-cyl
- #1 Stolen car in the UK 2016 (absolute numbers, not for the segment!)
- Not a convertible

M235i Convertible
+ Smooth ZF Auto 8; 6-cyl; Adaptive suspension/auto; RWD
+ Smile factor i.e. fun to drive overall
- Small fuel tank; clunky smartphone integration

*As I was trading-in a 330d xDrive Touring and was a long-term customer, to be fair to Audi, I probably got a better deal than someone walking in off the street. Space in the M235i 'vert wasn't as much of an issue as I feared - with the fold-down rear seat we've managed fine. Oddly, even with the hood up, I don't find the BMW 2 Series any worse to park than the A3 Sportsback I owned a few years ago, and a load easier to park than my 3 Series (not surprisingly). One thing with the A3 Sline I had was that I 'bottomed out' the suspension and undercarriage loads of times - something that's never happened before or since. The S3 is even lower suspension so I was pessimistic even before I tested it.

Last edited by msej449; 08-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 228i
Highway Driving: Golf R or Audi S3
City Driving: BMW 2 Series
Old 08-04-2017, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: Soon to be 230i Manual
Golf R (not seriously though, I have been burned by VW before)
Mini Cooper S works (Fun car, but not sure it would make a good DD, plus I am 6' 4", so it looks like a clown car next to me).
Old 08-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M2, X5
M3 and M4 - after a number of unconvincing drives I just could not pull the trigger. Whereas the M3/M4 felt too large, I found the 2's dimensions to be perfect. Moreover, the more "Spartan", purposeful nature of the 2 is more in tune with my idea of a "sports sedan".
Old 08-07-2017, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i Convertible
If you're looking for AWD, the only one not on your list would be MB C Class Sedan or Coupe 4 Matic. That said, I wanted a smallish fun-to-drive convertible so I also looked at ND Miata MX5 (too small), Mustang (too big), Camaro (too big and poor vision), Audi TT (TTS Convertible not imported into the US) and CPO Porsche 981 Boxster (too expensive to repair and maintain, but a hell of a lot of fun). I found my perfect car in a new 2016 M235 Convertible with 6 spd MT which had been in the dealer's inventory for nearly 18 months, which allowed me to acquire it at nearly 20% off MSRP, making it my perfect car. No regrets at all.
66 Porsche 912 (Project)
17 GMC Canyon Denali (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 08-07-2017, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
If you're looking for AWD, the only one not on your list would be MB C Class Sedan or Coupe 4 Matic. That said, I wanted a smallish fun-to-drive convertible so I also looked at ND Miata MX5 (too small), Mustang (too big), Camaro (too big and poor vision), Audi TT (TTS Convertible not imported into the US) and CPO Porsche 981 Boxster (too expensive to repair and maintain, but a hell of a lot of fun). I found my perfect car in a new 2016 M235 Convertible with 6 spd MT which had been in the dealer's inventory for nearly 18 months, which allowed me to acquire it at nearly 20% off MSRP, making it my perfect car. No regrets at all.

Did they offer you 20% off MSRP right off the bat? I'm curious how the deal went down. I'd appreciate if you could elaborate.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Hey all,

First post here on Bimmerfest. I'm looking to replace my daily driver which is a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited. Great vehicle but I'd really be fine with a much smaller car.

I'll be buying preowned 2016 MY or newer. Preference is for AWD. RWD is not an option for me.

Cars on my list:
- 228 X-Drive/235 X-Drive
- Audi S3
- Golf R

And... not sure what else to look at so I am wondering what you guys cross shopped. I don't really want anything midsized, so Q50, ATS/CTS are out etc. I don't want to stray from a more premium brand so WRX's are out etc... (The Golf R is a stretch for me).
I was thinking of getting an Audi S3 for something different...then I read the reviews of the 2 series...and then I drove the m240i. Game over.
ED: 6-8-17
2014 i3
2010 335d
ED: 12-21-09
PCD: 2-24-10
BMWCCA: 414299
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggle View Post
Did they offer you 20% off MSRP right off the bat? I'm curious how the deal went down. I'd appreciate if you could elaborate.
The actual discount off MSRP was about 18%. The car was delivered to the dealership Sept 2015 and I bought it Dec 2016. I suspect the car was either a special order which the buyer walked away from, or possibly something a Sales Manager ordered after a few to many bourbons - Alpine White, with Black Dakota Leather, MT, MP Exhaust, MP Grills and MP Rocker Decals. I first started paying attention to it in late July 2016 when it was offer on their web site with a 10% discount. After looking at it in the showroom in August while shopping for a new smaller SUV for my wife, I watched it go through a succession of monthly markdowns to the point it was offered at 15% off by Thanksgiving weekend. I had also been shopping CPO 981 Boxsters and by Dec I'd decided the Boxster was just a bit small for my needs and more importantly, a bit more expensive to purchase and maintain than my budget could comfortably afford. I zeroed in on the m235i and decided to finally go in and drive it, and if I liked it, make an offer. By then it had dropped another 1% on the web site. Once I drove it, I knew it was perfect for me. Knowing they wanted to sell the vehicle, I made an offer which was ultimately declined, but after a few back and forths, I ended up with an early Christmas present.
66 Porsche 912 (Project)
17 GMC Canyon Denali (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Waiting not so patiently

Mein Auto: M240ix
Audi TTS - loud, tinny, harsh ride even in comfort mode, best seats ever, way cool gauges. In the end it was too boy racer for me and essentially a fancy Volkswagen.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 AM

No one tried the CLA45 AMG?

Golf R is off my list. The S3 will get another test drive.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Waiting not so patiently

Quote:

I considered a C43 but didn't like the interior so I didn't drive it.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: '17 F22, 15 E84, '02 R53
Drove CLA45 AMG - not impressed - felt some what tinny - and the lack of soul or sensory feel in the driving experience left me unimpressed. Golf R was great and almost got the nod, but I love the silky inline 6 cyl a little too much.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M235i
I started by reading reviews about various "Sport Coupes" from what I considered above average manufacturers. That included Audi, Mercedes Benz, Volvo and BMW. Also, I was coming from a 2004 Mazda RX-8 and I didn't want a car that was bigger - maybe a little bit bigger at most.

After reading many reviews, I was down to the MB CLA45 AMG and the BMW M235i. In the end, I couldn't get past the MB's 4 doors and highly squeezed 4-banger engine. In addition, I do not care for the looks of the CLA45, and that's coming from the happy owner of a MB GLK350 4Matic owner. I never test drove the CLA45 AMG, or anything else. One test drive in the M235i and I was sold.

In my mind, there is nothing like the sweet inline 6 in our 2-series. And finally, my M235i has almost exactly the same foot print as my old RX-8. Fits in my garage with room to spare!
///M235i | Mineral Grey Metallic | Premium Package | Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dakota Coral Red/Black Leather | Harman/Kardon Premium 360 watt sound system | 8-speed automatic | Heated Front Seats |

Golly Mr. Science, if wasn't for the wheel, my dad would have to drag his car to work!

Last edited by 3.0L; 08-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by norvegicus View Post
Audi TTS - loud, tinny, harsh ride even in comfort mode, best seats ever, way cool gauges. In the end it was too boy racer for me and essentially a fancy Volkswagen.
I really wanted to love the TTS. Coming out of a C7, I liked the exterior look of the car, I liked the large hatch (with rear seat folded), The diamond stitched leather, and overall feel of the interior. Was not a big fan of all the info displayed in front of the driver. I rather like the nav and media centrally located. Most of the cars now carry some of that info to the driver cluster, but main info is centrally located. Not a deal breaker, but a feature I didn't like.

I also appreciated the fact that I would not see myself coming and going in a TTS. They are a rare sight on the road.

What killed it for me was the lack of "punch" the Audi displayed. Blipping the throttle only returned the sound of the engine revving. Nothing in the way of feel in the cabin. I had to either downshift or stomp the throttle to get the engine revs to pick up before I felt anything in the cabin. Unlike the Mini S and C7, where blipping the throttle would cause spilling of coffee all over the passenger, the Audi did nothing of the sort.

The Audi when spooled up was a beast and handled like it was on rails. Something one would appreciate on a canyon road or a race track, but virtually unusable in daily driving unless you wanted to get cited for reckless driving. The "tuned" Mini S and C7 were playful (as is the M240i), you can blip the throttle and feel it in the cabin....so moderate application of the throttle returns some spirited performance before you get too far past the speed limit.

The final nail in the coffin was the car was a 2016 (2017's were already out) and they wanted full sticker for the car. I would have ordered one regardless, but the fact they thought they had something very special and wouldn't even budge on the sale price turned me off completely. Sorry boys, too many other options to get forced into your game.

Test drove the M240i and was sold. Dealership also offered a hefty discount. Couldn't be happier.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Waiting not so patiently

Yeah I forgot to mention that about the TTS. It doesn't pull even close to the way the M240i does. When we were test driving and I stomped on it in a 2016 M235i it scared my wife in the passenger seat. When I did the same in the TTS it was kind of meh until it got spun up. It was wife that noticed how loud it was, mostly wind noise, about three times more than the 240.

Last edited by norvegicus; 08-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search