What did you cross shop against? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 320i 6MT M Sport
Cross shopped the 1SS 1LE Camaro. Outward visibility is awful. If I were 25 yrs old that might have been the choice. Very pleased with my M240i 6MT.
1988 Black/Recaro Alfa Romeo Milano Verde 5M - garage queen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3(euro),E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy13 View Post
No one tried the CLA45 AMG?

Golf R is off my list. The S3 will get another test drive.
CLA45 is a non-proven/tested format in terms of reliability , pushing 345+ hp out of a 2.0 l motor so I'd be hesitant to own one out of warranty.
Only the Subbies and EVO's have 'mastered' these type of motors to a good extent IMHO.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M240i XDrive
Brand new to the forums. Brand new to BMW. Brand new to the M240i xDrive (2017) that I bought yesterday.

I traded in my 2014 Toyota 4Runner Limited. Before that I had a 2012 Golf R.

I did basic reasearch on the following: Volvo S60, Infiniti Q50 (The Wife previously drove a G37X, Audi TTS, Audi S3, Lexus 350 variant, Subaru STI (I owned, modded, Autocrossed and did a couple track days in a 2004 WRX Wagon) and a Golf R. In the end, for various reasons, the Golf R was the only real contender. Real world, I wanted a BMW and I wanted a M240i but I needed to feel like I was going into the test drive and purchase process reasonably well informed.

My minimum requirements were really pretty simple. Fast, fun, AWD (Live in Minnesota) car that was reliable. It will be my daily driver and I have a 20 mile metro commute. The M240i checked all the boxes....more so after the test ride.

Last edited by Sboyd; 08-13-2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added a missing car researched
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 230i
cross shopped

good luck on this

i'm a z guy, having had four, inclusive of my '73 240z which remains in the family. sold my'07 350z grand touring for this bmw; '17 230i, track handling pkg, m sport pkg, leather, and harmon/kardon. at 12,500 miles, added the dinan stage 1 (now at 14,500 miles).

cross shopped the 370z (of course...), bmw 135i, 240i, and is, as well as the golf r. pretty limited in that i've never owned an automatic and at my age, that change won't happen. the 1 series became a non-contestant due to air bag issues and could not find a dealer that would sell without it being replaced (was not interested in an individual seller).

the z is a great car (will end up with another as a daily driver, no doubt) and the golf r, well, the dealers will not let you test drive... (fill in your own comments).

after one year of ownership, this car is very smooth in a way i've not experienced. build quality (one of the reasons i wanted one european car in my life) is certainly above that of japan (even compared to my '04 g30 coupe, which should be a step above the nissan's).

i did not want power seats, auto dimming mirrors, heated steering wheel, etc. i would suggest the track handling package since you're sourcing a manual (i'm sure it's as effective with an auto, but do not know by any experience).

best to you on this

Last edited by rebs43; 08-20-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 10-01-2017, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: '17 M240i
I did a lot of cross-shopping but most of the vehicles I drove were not direct competitors to the M240i that I purchased. Vehicles driven: Audi A4 (did not impress me), Mercedes CLA (unpleasant vehicle in every respect except for its attractive exterior), Mercedes C250 (solid, old-school MB with a weak engine), Mercedes C300 (very nice vehicle with a gorgeous interior), Acura TLX (felt like a Honda Accord), Lexus CT200h (felt like a cramped Prius), BMW 328i (far more satisfying to drive than any of the previous vehicles), BMW 330e (extremely nice but 14 miles of full electric range not enough to justify price premium), BMW 330i (felt essentially the same as the 328i), BMW 320i (noticeably slower and downscale to a 330i), BMW 230i (felt slow compared to the M240i), BMW 430i (far nicer to look at and drive than a 3-series), BMW 340i with track handling package (this ruined me for a four cylinder, the B58 is that spectacular), BMW 440i with M sport package (nicest car I drove but expensive and doors are too long for me), BMW M235i (great car in every respect and the perfect size for me) and finally, 2017 M240i (the most fun to drive of the entire group and the B58 is worth the extra $ over a M235i).

My short list came down to three cars:
BMW M240i (my favorite of all the cars I drove)
BMW 440i with M Sport Package ( a lovely motorcar but pricey)
BMW 340i with M Sport Package (the most practical choice of the three)

I bought the M240i. I absolutely love this car.

Footnotes:
Had I never driven a B58, I would have most likely purchased a four cylinder. But after only one test drive of a B58 car, I knew I had to have that motor.
Some of the four cylinder BMWs I drove felt livelier than others. There was a hesitation on initial acceleration in many of the fours which I found disconcerting.
The current 3-series has grown in dimensions and is noticeably softer than the E46 I came close to buying a number of years ago.
The 2-series reminds me more of what BMW used to be like, when everything they sold was for enthusiasts, than any other BMW I drove. Especially the M240i. It is a driver's car.

Last edited by soboy; 10-01-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:08 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
I am into RWD convertibles. I just drove a W205 C300 4matic, and I would say that it is a serious competitor to both 2-series and 3-series. Quite nimble, full of gadgets, all user interfaces are terrible.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
I didn't test as many cars as you, but did find the M240i to be a great choice. My main competitor was the Audi TT series. While having nice interiors and being a rather rare bird (you don't see many on the street), the car was lethargic unless you kept the RPM's up. M240i seemed always ready to perform . Dealer didn't help the situation by not wanting to deal on a year old car I test drove.

I'm enamored w/ the 440i for my next purchase if only for the upscale appointments and individual custom color choices . I'd likely opt out of the track handling package as I rarely drive the car in a spirited fashion except for a straight line take off or rolling "punch". That beings said, the 440i equipped as I'd like it would be about $3500 more than my M240i.

Then I drive my Estoril Blue M240i and wonder why I'd even consider trading for anything else. The perfect sized car w/ stunning performance. W/ a Dinan Stage 1, it's as fast as my 2015 C7 Corvette w/ the crappy 8 speed. I have a back seat, a trunk and great handling and riding automobile.

BMW hit this one out of the park IMO.

As an aside, the 230i is another great car for those wanting a good performing automobile. Honestly any car that can run 0-60 in 5.5 is no slouch. Certainly the M240i is plenty faster, but for another less expensive option, the 230i is another bargain.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Miata verte
Blusey

PHP Code:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I really wanted to love the TTS. Coming out of a C7, I liked the exterior look of the car, I liked the large hatch (with rear seat folded), The diamond stitched leather, and overall feel of the interior. Was not a big fan of all the info displayed in front of the driver. I rather like the nav and media centrally located. Most of the cars now carry some of that info to the driver cluster, but main info is centrally located. Not a deal breaker, but a feature I didn't like.

I also appreciated the fact that I would not see myself coming and going in a TTS. They are a rare sight on the road.

What killed it for me was the lack of "punch" the Audi displayed. Blipping the throttle only returned the sound of the engine revving. Nothing in the way of feel in the cabin. I had to either downshift or stomp the throttle to get the engine revs to pick up before I felt anything in the cabin. Unlike the Mini S and C7, where blipping the throttle would cause spilling of coffee all over the passenger, the Audi did nothing of the sort.

The Audi when spooled up was a beast and handled like it was on rails. Something one would appreciate on a canyon road or a race track, but virtually unusable in daily driving unless you wanted to get cited for reckless driving. The "tuned" Mini S and C7 were playful (as is the M240i), you can blip the throttle and feel it in the cabin....so moderate application of the throttle returns some spirited performance before you get too far past the speed limit.

The final nail in the coffin was the car was a 2016 (2017's were already out) and they wanted full sticker for the car. I would have ordered one regardless, but the fact they thought they had something very special and wouldn't even budge on the sale price turned me off completely. Sorry boys, too many other options to get forced into your game.

Test drove the M240i and was sold. Dealership also offered a hefty discount. Couldn't be happier.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Blusey I've been trying too find that plate bracket you use as you moniker can you tell me you got it.please ?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhouse View Post
Blusey I've been trying too find that plate bracket you use as you moniker can you tell me you got it.please ?
Home made project........
Old 10-09-2017, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i ragtop
ragtop cross shopping

I was looking to replace our 2001 Miata with a roadster. At 6'4" I didn't sit in the Miata as much as I "wore it."

I looked at, sat in, and drove a number of vehicles:
  • Corvette
  • Jaguar F-type convertible
  • new Miata
  • Camaro ragtop
  • Mustang ragtop
  • Z4 roadster
  • MB's small roadster
  • Porsche Boxster
  • Audi A3 ragtop

Many of them were as tight a fit for me because of my height. Others like the A3 just didn't have the handling of the 228i ragtop I got. So for me the 228i was the best choice. YMMV of course.

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
2016 228i ragtop
http://checkupandchoices.com
Navigo ergo sum
Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F22 xDrive sport
great discussion here...i'm just beginning some research on a replacement for a daily commuter. i've not taken any test drives as yet. i really love the idea of an M235 but even as a CPO it might be a bit spendy for me...and i'm not sure how well it would fair doing 100 miles/day over a long time (i tend to keep my cars 6-8 years). i'm also considering a 328d for the mileage and potential engine longevity. i know this logic seems diametrically opposed...any thoughts? is there a good middle ground model for me?
Old 10-14-2017, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 228i ragtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
great discussion here...i'm just beginning some research on a replacement for a daily commuter. i've not taken any test drives as yet. i really love the idea of an M235 but even as a CPO it might be a bit spendy for me...and i'm not sure how well it would fair doing 100 miles/day over a long time (i tend to keep my cars 6-8 years). i'm also considering a 328d for the mileage and potential engine longevity. i know this logic seems diametrically opposed...any thoughts? is there a good middle ground model for me?
I regularly get 30-32mpg at highway speeds, ~75mph. My 2016 has been rock solid reliable but given maintenance costs off warranty I'd get an extended service contract if I was in your shoes.

Reid K. Hester, Ph.D.
2016 228i ragtop
http://checkupandchoices.com
Navigo ergo sum
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M235 '14 328d Touring
I have the M235 and a 328d wagon. I love both. The M gets right at 30mpg on freeway trips. It'll do 35 in ecopro mode but I never use it. The diesel gets 50+ on the same loop.
Performance can't really be compared but they both are fun to drive in their own way.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: M240 2017
No cross shopping

I saw a m240 convertible and my c-7 Vette was a goner. The m240 is much more fun to drive.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
i'm also considering a 328d for the mileage and potential engine longevity. i know this logic seems diametrically opposed...any thoughts? is there a good middle ground model for me?
I don't think so. You are looking for a car that is not a drag to drive and with that many miles, 3 series diesel seems like an obvious choice to me. If you look at my signature, you will see that the only reason my diesel is gone was because I couldn't keep it - that was not a choice I was given. Otherwise, that would have been my daily driver until wheels fell off that car. Go for the diesel, you won't be sorry.

Now to the topic. I was considering:

- Alfa 4C
- M235i (at the time)
- ///M2
- BRZ
- ND Miata
- Cayman

Unfortunately, ///M2 was pretty much unavailable and if I waited, I would have lost the train of getting a new 981 without turbocharger and with all 6 cylinders present if ///M2 didn't work out. M235i was way, way too similar in weight to my E92 which I eliminated because of turbocharging and weight primarily.

I couldn't fit without helmet into BRZ and couldn't fit into MD Miata with the helmet without heavy modifications. I was bummed to no end because of this. Seriously, no kidding. The difference in price would have paid for at least 5-6 years of heavy tracking (racetrack, that is) - all in. Tires, brakes, fuel, other extra maintenance, hotels and entry fees.

Between Cayman and Alfa 4C, the car without turbocharger got a final nod.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Going from a Mini Cooper S Convertible (MCSC) 2005 manual transmission to a 2018 m240 convertible manual transmission (waiting for my car to arrive from Germany). MCSC is really fun to drive and drives like a go cart, but I just don't love it. I first checked out the different convertibles on the web. I always found myself going back to BMW 2 series convertible. I have a 2001 E46 3 series sedan which I love and it's my go to car.

The 4 series was WAY too big for me. Don't get me wrong..I can drive a big car but it's too big for my taste. One advantage is I can park my MCSC in very tight situations w/o getting dings on the doors/bumpers.

I did consider a Porsche but I just don't want to spend that on a car. I think a m240 convertible was my limit. I did love working with Porsche in Germany and I was really impressed with them as company (not their parent company - ONLY Porsche) and they are my fav automotive manufacture to work with. I've worked with most automotive manufacture and that's why I discarded many of them so quickly. Not saying which ones.. But Porsche really left the best impression and they really care about their customers, quality, etc.. and most of all they are VERY proud of their vehicles. And they should be!!!

I found it interesting talking to current Tesla technicians/xxx who own BMWs. i.e. One guy owned 4 BMWs and not a single Tesla. ROFL. That said it all.

VW, Audi, Mercedes.. had way too much plastic for my taste. One feature I wanted but BMW didn't offer was rear fog lights. This is a WONDERFUL feature I really liked and I wish my BMWs had. When I lived in Germany I loved this feature. Now I live in California and I drive in a lot of fog - I WANT THIS! But the none of the cars that offered this didn't really interest me.

Last edited by SharkBaitGirl; 10-25-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 AM

Mein Auto: M240i
I didn't shop in very many places, but we actually bought two cars at close to the same time. We bought a 2018 Audi A4 and the BMW M240i, which we will hopefully get delivery on in a week or so. The Audi was already on a ship when I had the dealer redirect it, so I got that almost two months ago.

Before getting the Audi and the BMW, we also looked at Ford and Lincoln. Neither brand held any interest. And at one point we tried out an Audi A5 convertible, but my wife hated it. So we got the A4 daily driver and the M240i for sportier driving.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBaitGirl View Post
Going from a Mini Cooper S Convertible (MCSC) 2005 manual transmission to a 2018 m240 convertible manual transmission (waiting for my car to arrive from Germany). MCSC is really fun to drive and drives like a go cart, but I just don't love it. I first checked out the different convertibles on the web. I always found myself going back to BMW 2 series convertible. I have a 2001 E46 3 series sedan which I love and it's my go to car.

The 4 series was WAY too big for me. Don't get me wrong..I can drive a big car but it's too big for my taste. One advantage is I can park my MCSC in very tight situations w/o getting dings on the doors/bumpers.

I did consider a Porsche but I just don't want to spend that on a car. I think a m240 convertible was my limit. I did love working with Porsche in Germany and I was really impressed with them as company (not their parent company - ONLY Porsche) and they are my fav automotive manufacture to work with. I've worked with most automotive manufacture and that's why I discarded many of them so quickly. Not saying which ones.. But Porsche really left the best impression and they really care about their customers, quality, etc.. and most of all they are VERY proud of their vehicles. And they should be!!!

I found it interesting talking to current Tesla technicians/xxx who own BMWs. i.e. One guy owned 4 BMWs and not a single Tesla. ROFL. That said it all.

VW, Audi, Mercedes.. had way too much plastic for my taste. One feature I wanted but BMW didn't offer was rear fog lights. This is a WONDERFUL feature I really liked and I wish my BMWs had. When I lived in Germany I loved this feature. Now I live in California and I drive in a lot of fog - I WANT THIS! But the none of the cars that offered this didn't really interest me.
I too had a MINI Cooper S (2011 Hardtop) prior to my m235i Convertible. I also considered a (981) Boxster and an Audi TT Roadster. If the TT were available in the US as a TTS, I may have gone that route. Even though I have always wanted a Boxster, it was more $$ than I wanted to spend at the time and I was even more concerned about the cost of Porsche maintenance and repair down the road. I am very happy with my decision. I love my m235i with MT. It's the right size, is very comfortable and is a hoot to drive in a sporting way, and I am so glad to be back in a convertible. I still want a (982) 718 Boxster someday, but until then, I am loving the 2 Series vert. I am sure you'll be very happy once you get yours.
66 Porsche 912 (Project)
17 GMC Canyon Denali (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
Old 10-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Was driving a Miata grand touring convertible,too small.test drove an Audi,camaro,mustang,and a challenger,and charger just for the fun of it,then drove the 230 then the M240 all verte save for the dodge.The BMW 240 had the best of everything,Goldilocks if you prefer.The Audi did have a nice convertible rooftop but I felt like I was sitting in a bathtub
Old 11-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 228i
Talking comps is problematic until you've identified the parameters of what you are considering. In my case I was set at the outset for a 2 door coupe with RWD, preferably lighter the better.

So in anticipating release of the newest iteration of the Camaro, I did consider it. But the Camaro's nature requires getting the V8 in my view. And I did not want to go that route. I also briefly considered the Cadillac ATS coupe, but could not see going with their requirement of fully loaded in order to get the 6cyl, which I might have otherwise at least considred at some greater length. Ftr I think the 4 in the ATS is too slow and less fuel efficient.

The 2 door requirement eliminated all from Audi except the TT, but I occasionally need use of the rear seat, so that was out before getting any further.

This left really only two cars for me, the 2 series and the 4 series. I like the 4 a lot and at first glance it looked the right size, the 2 being a bit smaller. But I went with the 2 because I felt both the 228 and 235 were better mated to their engines than the 4 due to the weight difference (I still don't get why the 435 had less hp than the 235), and the 428 seemed less powerful than I wanted with that weight difference. I looked closer at the 2 and saw that it was plenty efficient in use of interior space, and then test drove one, finding it quite comfortable in terms of size, and of course a hoot to drive. And of course the 2 is less costly, which may not have been a major factor if I could see the additional value in the 4. But I didn't.

Given this forum my choice eventually of the 228 is not one all here made, but ftr in getting the THP I don't regret my choice a bit.

In short my search really came down to one between the 2 and the 4.

Last edited by kenny164; 11-15-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:19 PM

cross-shopping competed today. drove a 328d, a 428i, and a 228i...all xDrive CPOs. it really ended up being no contest with the 228i being the clear winner.

i drove it last of the three, and it's just pure fun...truly go-cart type of fun. i'm a hair shy of 6'2" and carry right around 2 bills, so my biggest concern was feeling too cramped in the 228. the 328 definitely has more headroom and both the 328 & 428 have a larger footwell. all things considered, i felt like i have more than enough room to comfortably commute 100 miles every day.

incredibly stoked to be a new 2-series owner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F3B3E42-6C4D-402A-92A3-7851CB80A629_1511047171903.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	713281  
'06 E90 x-drive sedan, jet black (son's current car)
'07 E83 x-drive30 SAV, alpine white (sold; x-drive failure @80K mi)
'09 E91 x-drive wagon, alpine white (wife's current grocery getter)
'12 E89 Z4 s-drive28i MT, M-sport, black metallic, (current garage queen @25K mi)
'15 F22 x-drive coupe, sport line, mineral grey metallic (current daily driver)

Last edited by happyjack; 11-20-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
Quote:
cross-shopping competed today. drove a 328d, a 428i, and a 228i...all xDrive CPOs. it really ended up being no contest with the 228i being the clear winner.

i drove it last of the three, and it?s just pure fun...truly go-cart type of fun. i?m A hair shy of 6?2? and carry right around 2 bills, so my biggest concern was feeling too cramped in the 228. the 328 definitely has more headroom and both the 328 & 428 have a larger footwell. all things considered, i felt like i have more than enough room to comfortably commute 100 miles every day.

incredibly stoked to be a new 2-series owner!
Awesome; looks great & best of luck

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Awesome; looks great & best of luck

Sent from my XR6M10 using Tapatalk
thanks!

we don't have too many twisties around annapolis, but i decided to go for a sunday drive on a couple of sections nearby and had a blast giving her a little exercise.
'06 E90 x-drive sedan, jet black (son's current car)
'07 E83 x-drive30 SAV, alpine white (sold; x-drive failure @80K mi)
'09 E91 x-drive wagon, alpine white (wife's current grocery getter)
'12 E89 Z4 s-drive28i MT, M-sport, black metallic, (current garage queen @25K mi)
'15 F22 x-drive coupe, sport line, mineral grey metallic (current daily driver)

Last edited by happyjack; 11-20-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
thanks!

we don't have too many twisties around annapolis, but i decided to go for a sunday drive on a couple of sections nearby and had a blast giving her a little exercise.
Great choice, 288i is a wonderful car. Hope you have many years of enjoyment.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search