Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-06-2005, 12:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325i
Cold start problem

Hi all,

I have an '03 325i (sulev) with sport pkg, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, auto. After I had it for about four months (got it 8/03), it would start very rough and sometimes stall. It only did this on the first start of the day. Since then I have been to the dealer six or seven time with the same complaint. Each time they say they reprogrammed the computer and every time the problem comes back. This last time they said it's normal with sulev vehicles "This is caused by the cold start enrichment program in the engine control module - the vehicle runs at a richer air/fuel ratio upon cold start & takes a few seconds to clear out". While this could potentially make sense, what doesn't is that it started doing this AFTER I had it for four months. Why would it not behave like this for the first four months and then start doing it. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Any help would be appreciated,

Chad Birosh
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2005, 10:31 AM

Does this sound right to any one? I find it hard to believe this is normal but there seems to be nothing I can do.

Chad
Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: ZX6R
Hello, Ok here some ideas of what I think it could be, as a Bimmer Tech after reprograming the DME I would have then checked fuel pressure over night to see if there was a loss in pressure next I would do a comprassion check and then a leak down test that might be a better way to look into the problem. I have seen a bunch of 2.5 and 3.0 have this problem sounds like a leaking injector or possiable camshaft and lifter problems, BMW does run rich upon start and once the secondary air pump runs it cycle it should not run as rough but i would take it back to the dealer.. There is something wrong.. if you have anymore questions or un sure what I wrote ask me more thanks.... Hope I helped
Old 07-18-2005, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Wow, I just took mine in today for the same thing, they said they reprogrammed the DME, and something else. I will see tommorrow if it does the same from a cold start will keep u posted..
Old 08-17-2005, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
cold start

my 540 knocks like crazy on cold start sometimes. It won't do it at the dealer but they said it is the varible timed cam adjusting itself. It sounds like the engine is about to self destruct for about 5 seconds. It only has 40,000 mi on it. Count your blessings, I will trade problems with you.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:12 AM

Yeah, that doesn't sound to good. The thing that bothers me the most is that it didn't start doing this until it was around 5 months old. And the dealer says it's normal. If it's normal, wouldn't it have been doing it from the start? Oh yeah, I also had three of the coils replaced several months back (it was idling like a muscle car Might that have something to do with it?

Chad
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
I have a 2000 328i that I bought used two years ago.
It starts and runs great all spring and summer. When
the cool weather comes in fall, it starts up fine but then
the idle drops and goes back up for a few minutes into
the warm-up. Sometimes it stalls, then when I re-start
the engine it will be fine. I store my car in winter and
every month I will start it to let the engine run for half
an hour. This is when I notice it the most. Car starts
fine and rpm is at 1100 rpm. After 10 seconds, rpm
drops to about 900 rpm. After 30 seconds rpm drops
to about 800 rpm. It's at this time that the idle drops
down to 400/500 rpm then back up to 800 rpm. It will
do this every 10 to 15 seconds for about 5 minutes
until it warms up. When I take the car out in spring,
it is fine again. It has to be temperature related.
Does your car do it every time or when it gets cold?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dratsum
Hi all,

I have an '03 325i (sulev) with sport pkg, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, auto. After I had it for about four months (got it 8/03), it would start very rough and sometimes stall. It only did this on the first start of the day.

Chad Birosh
Hi, I have the same car as you and the EXACT same problem. When I took it to the dealer, he also told me that they reprogrammed the computer. It is hard to diagnose because it only starts roughly at the start of the day and you have to wait another day to hear it again. I do not think the dealerships are too excited over keeping cars for more than 1 or 2 days, so they reset the computer and pretend everything is fine.

If anyone finds a way to fix this, please let me know.
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325CI
Cool car is only a year old and is stalling every morning

Hi guys,
My name is Kristen. I have the same problem. Mine is a 2004 ci and every morning, it spits and moves all around and then shuts off. I brought it to the dealer and left it overnight, so they could see what I was talking about. They are going to replace the fuel pressure regulator they said. Ill let you know if this works. (fingers crossed)
Old 10-07-2005, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 318 ci
Hi my name is Haydar i am new to this forum I have BMW 318ci (2000cc valvetronic motor 143HP)
I have this problem too . Many times i take my car to service. they couldnt solve than they called germany for help . engineers came from germany couldnt find anything wrong than they asked me if i use 98 octane or 95 i . i were using 98 . they told me that i should try 95 and than my problem solved . please try to use lower octane gasoline than if it works like mine please tell me
whenever i use 98 octane after that the problem appears again so i dont use it any more
Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Well, it's been quite a while and it's still doing it. I recently moved to Dallas and I hoped one of the dealers here would have more success in tracking down the problem. No such luck. They seem just as reluctant to figure this out as the dealer in Rochester. I heard the same thing elsewhere about using a lower octane fuel but it seems to me to be a treatment of the symptom and not a cure. Sure it would probably run smoother, but I would be down on power as a result. I don't think I'll have this car very much longer because of this. It's a shame but I can't stand the lack of support from BMW.

Thanks for all of your help,

Chad Birosh
Old 06-09-2006, 05:08 AM

Mein Auto: 325i, 4Runner
My $.02

Mine used to start rough on colder mornings. I put a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel injector cleaner in and the problem went away, no more rough starts. Also when I use gas mix with 10% etanol, I get some rough starts and less power. I always use Sunoco 91 and I have no problems. I once had a loaner 330ci and it ran so rough I shut it off and started it back up and the service engine light came on. Who knows what the deal with that one was.

Steve
Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Same problem with the same solution "Re-program the DME". That only fixed the rough idle at start but still it acts like an injector or fuel pump leak down. I am sure this is very common but most people dont really pay attention or care to have it diagnosed since it does start. Maybe after the warranty runs out they find the fix and charge an outragous amount to fix the problem.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 03 325i SP
My car (2003 325i) has just started doing this also on the coldest starts here along the NorCal coast (35 degrees this morning). It idles lumpy like it's got 5 cylinders instead of 6 and if you give it a little gas (raise RPMs to 1500-1800) for four or five seconds right at the start it straightens itself out before settling back down into a 'normal' (read: smooth) idle.

My Benz used to do this (I let it go for a looong time) and on that car the tech diagnosed a bad fuel injector that would "leak down" (whatever that means). It started the same way - cold mornings - and then became more and more frequent over the years temperature independent, but always on the first start after a 6-8 hour (minimum) sit.

WTF - my car has 55k miles on it?! And who might know if why temperature might cause or add to this condition?

Thx.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 PM

Wait wait wait - this post describes my scenario better (as I had moved the car out of and then back into the driveway last night):

Quote: I had a similar problem. It turns out it was easy to fix. I was staring the car (after it had sat cold for a while), moving it a few yards to the upper part of the driveway, turning it off, washing it, and starting it again to move it back to the lower part of the driveway.

In addition to rough idle, I would smell a distinct gas smell for a little bit after starting it the second time.

As it turns out, starting the car from cold, moving it a small amount, and starting it again a short while later causes the rough idle. The engine receives a large amount of fuel when it is cold to ensure it will start and if that excess fuel isn't burnt off, the second time you start it (and the computer still sees the engine as cold since it has never heated up enough), more fuel is added and now you have way to much for it to run smoothly. Once all the extra is burnt off, it should run fine...but that may take a few minutes.

I started at least driving my car around the block first and then parking it to wash it. Since I've done that, I've never again experienced the rough idle when starting it the second time. END QUOTE

Ok, so I didn't smell the gas, but this seems to make some sense provided that the fuel wouldn't leave the engine after some hours...
Old 12-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 05 bmw 325ci
Woah this is nuts. I had this same exact problem this morning with my 03 325ci. I was backing out of my driveway and then i stopped to get out and close the gate and then i backed up more into the street it stalled. When I turned it back on the temperature started flashing at 37 degrees. This is the second time that this has happened in the 2 weeks that i have had the car and it was both on the coldest mornings. I immediatly set up an appointment with bmw for wednesday. it sucks that it doesnt look like it will be resolved and ill just be waisting my $112 to have them look at the car.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:53 PM

well if you do get an answer (or possibles) from the tech please let us know.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
it's the VANOS...this is a well documented issue and the dealer will try not to fix it unless it's off warranty...$400 for the part $600-$700 to replace the part and 12-18 months later it goes bad again...
Old 12-06-2006, 07:44 PM

I rescheduled my appointment for the 22nd because thats when there will be loaner car available. My friend who worked for bmw says that I will prob be driving the loaner over the christmas weekend because once they know the car is under warranty they will try to hold the car for as long as possible to get the most money out of it.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i - Steel Gray
Hello, Just to offer my opinion - I have experienced the same problems with my 2003 325i and have started threads in this forum. I have not received any satisfactory answers and may have to just live with it.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i 2002
To Japes325

When you stalled, did you get the transmission warning light? This happens to me sometime on cold starts or after a hard rain when parked for a while.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Bimmerboy

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i
Wow, sounds like you guys are having it hard right now with your cars. I would personally go back to the dealer, complain and complain for them to fix the damn thing, go to another BMW dealer and see what they say and take it to several different ones, or if you want to spend the money, but have the problem fixed, I would take it to a German auto mechanic and have them take a look at it. It'll cost you but you can probably get it fixed. If you really don't want to pay (which I wouldn't if I had a warranty on mine) then I would just bug the sh** out of BMW to fix the problem. If the dealers can't take care of it then contact BMW of North America and see if you can get a response then. Don't let anybody run over you guys. Get this problem fixed and fixed now before your warranty runs out.

01' 530i, Heated seats & steering wheel.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnick3377 View Post
To Japes325

When you stalled, did you get the transmission warning light? This happens to me sometime on cold starts or after a hard rain when parked for a while.
no no warning light. First time the service engine light came on and then went off. Second time the temperature started flashing at 37 degrees which it randomly does. Anyone know why it does that?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes325 View Post
Second time the temperature started flashing at 37 degrees which it randomly does. Anyone know why it does that?
When you get around to reading the manual, you will know that it is warning you of the possibility of ice
Old 12-22-2006, 07:04 PM

Well anyways

I brought my car in today. Ofcourse they didnt find the problem but they found a number of others. Turns out that 1 of them was that I need new front brakes which they said will cost me $500 with parts and labor because that isnt covered under warranty. Now i bought this car from another dealer and ive had it for a month. I have 60 days warranty with the dealer that i bought the car from. Should I be able to call the dealer and demand that they give me new brakes or is it a loss that i have to take?

and if its a loss that i have to take does anyone know a way that i can get new front brakes for alot cheaper?

btw they gave me a x3 sport loaner which i will have until the day after christmas.