Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
The skinny on iDrive...

...or at least in my point of view

iDrive knob: simple

iDrive software: what a mess

The whole goal of iDrive was to simplify all the functions and the buttons. They failed MISERABLY at that. Ya know how on most of the previous BMW had red and blue bars and a wheel near the air vents? That simple thing was thrown out and was fed into the iDrive mess. You now gotta use the click, push, tug, and turn the knob into 3 submenus. In addition to that, air distribution is controlled by iDrive. So youve gotta program the intensities of the different airvents, save it as a personal setting, and dive right into the system to change it again.

I thought radio was gonna be simple, its not. Its a headache changing stations. You cant just push seek up/down anymore, presets have to be set. Once you figure out how to get there(which IS tricky), you have to turn the wheel to change the frequency. Damn was that annoying. You start out at 87.7 FM. One click of the knob right will move you to 87.9FM. So needless to say, it required manual effort to get to my station 93.3. Then you have to save the number, go down a list and select the preset.

I dont wanna bore anyone (i probably have) cause i know theres not a lot who like the E65. These were just two of the simplest things I knew everyone could relate to. Seems like 90% of the functions need to be done while the car is in PARK, and that defeats the whole purpose of this thing(and BMW has disclaimers for doing so). But the voice activation is great. You can say any radio station frequency and it will get you there. It seems all of the iDrive functions can be done using your voice...i wonder if that was intended as a back up plan?
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ??
does it recognize when you swear at it? meaning, does it know to turn the fan up higher if you yell "just gimme some f*cking cold air in here already!!!! "
Old 08-07-2002, 09:31 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
lk - You can't control Climate Control over voice command

Mathew - I've found climate control to be quite easy to manage. Radio - yeah, a bit a pain but once all your presets are in it is easy and simple.

Also, I have no troubles doing anything in the iDrive while driving. Quick glances on the screen once in a while (same as checking mirrors, I might add) get me anywhere I want.

I usually have the nav in the right portion of the screen and the main portion in entertainment. iDrive works for me
Old 08-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Code 66

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally posted by rost12
iDrive works for me
Im sure Ill be able to get used to it. Its not me im worried about though, its my parents. They barely know how ot operate a cellphone.

The system i thought could have been made simpler. Like on the Entertainment menu, if they just simple had two bars that said Seek Up and Seek Down that would be easier.

Quick question for ya....The navigation settings are still in GERMAN lol. I saw this was a problem on the .org E65 board, and the dealer said it would turn back to US mode (magically i guess). Did this happen to you
Old 08-08-2002, 07:12 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
I heard that BMW is redoing the software for the iDrive since alot of people complained about it.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:39 AM
Kickin' it old school

Mein Auto: E30 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by ___lk___
does it recognize when you swear at it? meaning, does it know to turn the fan up higher if you yell "just gimme some f*cking cold air in here already!!!! "
That was hilarious...
Old 08-08-2002, 04:29 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
Quote:
Originally posted by ///Mathew

Quick question for ya....The navigation settings are still in GERMAN lol. I saw this was a problem on the .org E65 board, and the dealer said it would turn back to US mode (magically i guess). Did this happen to you
I agree on the parents issue, my father is the same But he's catching up...I guess.

About that problem - nope, not a glitch with our navi yet.

I believe Psycho recently posted a sequence of steps he took to fix his navi (bring it back to US side, heh).
Check 3-4 pages back (don't do a search, it only works for archives and there's not much in there yet).

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740iL & 2002 745Li
Look at the bigger picture

Quote:
Originally posted by ///Mathew
The whole goal of iDrive was to simplify all the functions and the buttons. They failed MISERABLY at that.
Give it some time, Mathew. I suggest you do some more homework. You may change your mind.

Mathew, check this link out: iDrive - the bigger picture

Sorry for the cross-post, but there is a lot of mis-information and half-truths out there on iDrive.

I had a 745 as a loaner for two days before ordering mine. I admit that I would not have ordered one if I did not have the benefit of an extended period with the car (as well as speaking with owners who corrected the impressions given by the trade press.)

I still have issues with reliability and service, but that is another matter...
Link to LowTech's Dual Sevens