Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Send a message via MSN to sunnykk Send a message via Yahoo to sunnykk
Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP
Oil Light stays on after ignition is turned off

THis is wierd and happened twice. The oil light stays on (Amber color) after I turn my ignition off and take off the keys. After this happened, I turned on my ignition and turned it off again and everyting was normal (The light went off) Any one else seen this on their car?
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Same thing has happened to me. I added some oil and everything was fine after that.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:27 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Have you bothered to read your owner's manual?

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
No actually I haven't. I didn't think that a brand new car should have a light coming on. If there was some kind of a problem, it should stay on (if I needed oil or something). The fact that its coming on only sometimes and goes off immediately, I thought that this might be some gliche in the system. Since you mentioned, I will see if the owner's manual says something about this.
OEM: Alarm, Universal Trainsmitter, I-Pod, Mud Flaps; After Market: Clear Bra, 3M-Tint-27%, Passport 8500X-Hard Wired
DIY: Euro Tray, Al Foot-pedals & Foot-rest, ULO Front & Rear Clears, Clutch Stop, De-badged

Old 07-11-2005, 07:08 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykk
No actually I haven't. I didn't think that a brand new car should have a light coming on. If there was some kind of a problem, it should stay on (if I needed oil or something). The fact that its coming on only sometimes and goes off immediately, I thought that this might be some gliche in the system. Since you mentioned, I will see if the owner's manual says something about this.
Yes it most certainly does, as that is how I found out what it means when it happened to me. Your first step for any problem where a light comes on is to consult the owner's manual. But if you want to insist on not reading it first and want to ask about it here, then you first step here should be to search first, ask second.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
How many miles have you driven?

My oil light came on after about 8,000 KILOMETERS. It came on again about 10,000 km later (after the first oil change).

The manual will cover this issue.

Old 07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
I shift my own gears!

Send a message via AIM to edsmax
Mein Auto: Orient Blue 01 330i Sport
I find it disturbing how many car owners do not read their owners manual. Also, they should consult this manual before posting on a forum...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Let me tell you exactly what's happening with my oil indicator light. It does not come on when I am driving. After I stop the car and turn off the ignition, it comes on (amber color) even after my ignition is shut off. After this happened the first time, I turned the ignition on again, the amber color changed to red and then it went off. After about 5 seconds, I turned off my ignition and everything was normal.

It has never come on when I am driving and that's why I don't think it is a problem with low oil.

My owner's manual does not say anything about this. It says that if the light comes on, it means there is low oil pressure. My light is on after my ignition is turned off and the keys are out of the ignition. I thought that was not normal and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation.

Car is about 4000 miles old.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsmax
I find it disturbing how many car owners do not read their owners manual. Also, they should consult this manual before posting on a forum...
Well, then you are in the wrong place because it seems that none of the newb's (and several of the old timers) post first (and repeat questions at that) and only look at the owner's manual when one of us ask why they haven't done that yet.

Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
My owner's manual does not say anything about this. It says that if the light comes on, it means there is low oil pressure. My light is on after my ignition is turned off and the keys are out of the ignition. I thought that was not normal and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar situation.
Either they have removed that section from the manual (possible, but I seriously doubt it) or you missed it.

From the manual for my '02 325i:

Old 07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Happiness is....

Mein Auto: Alpine White '05 Z4 2.5i
Quote:
THis is wierd and happened twice. The oil light stays on (Amber color) after I turn my ignition off and take off the keys. After this happened, I turned on my ignition and turned it off again and everyting was normal (The light went off) Any one else seen this on their car?
My oil light came on a week ago and it just needed more oil. Took about a quart. I have about 7000 miles on my new Z4. I think the same thing happened within the first 7000 miles with my 2001 325i.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:51 AM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Quote:
Either they have removed that section from the manual (possible, but I seriously doubt it) or you missed it.

From the manual for my '02 325i:

I probably missed it. I will go check again after work and fill up some oil. Thanks for your post.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
I probably missed it. I will go check again after work and fill up some oil. Thanks for your post.
Now, if you find out, using the proper dipstick check routine, that the oil level is fine, you could have a bad oil level sensor (they have been known to be defective straight from the factory).

Old 07-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I shift my own gears!

Send a message via AIM to edsmax
Mein Auto: Orient Blue 01 330i Sport
Quote:
Now, if you find out, using the proper dipstick check routine, that the oil level is fine, you could have a bad oil level sensor (they have been known to be defective straight from the factory).
Very true. Although based on the fact that the original poster does not remember seeing the clip you provided from the owners manual, it is probably just low on oil. My 330 seems to "eat" a quart of Mobil 1 every 3500-5000 miles religously.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to eston
Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
Quote:
My 330 seems to "eat" a quart of Mobil 1 every 3500-5000 miles religously.
As does mine.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:16 PM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Quote:
Very true. Although based on the fact that the original poster does not remember seeing the clip you provided from the owners manual, it is probably just low on oil. My 330 seems to "eat" a quart of Mobil 1 every 3500-5000 miles religously.
Wow, I am not used to this. My other car is a Accord that I have had for 6 years now and I have never had the oil level go low. I was a little surprised when I saw the oil light. But it looks like that is normal for the oil level to go down for a 330i. Thanks for all the replies and I will make sure that I do my searches before I post.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
sunnykk, did you trying doing a search on BF?

This issue has bee repeatedly discussed in many threads. I recall responding to an indentical thread just last week.

To save you some time, there are 2 issues:

• Around 5,000 mile mark some cars just seem to have the light come on when the oil level appears to be correct. That happened to me but after of couple of weeks I did end up having to top of the oil level.
  • The other possibility is that the oil level sensor may be contaminated.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:53 PM
24/7 Bimmer Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDV330i
sunnykk, did you trying doing a search on BF?

This issue has bee repeatedly discussed in many threads. I recall responding to an indentical thread just last week.

To save you some time, there are 2 issues:

• Around 5,000 mile mark some cars just seem to have the light come on when the oil level appears to be correct. That happened to me but after of couple of weeks I did end up having to top of the oil level.
  • The other possibility is that the oil level sensor may be contaminated.

Thanks for the heads up. My bad for not doing a search.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eston
As does mine.
me 3.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Just so its perfectly clear... it is perfectly normal for your car to need about a quart of oil at this point. I am at 8000+ and have added oil twice. BMW uses oil as a part of there Premium Fuel Octane Enhancement Mixture... J/K ... seriously... when you see the Amber oil light after turning off the car... this is your car's polite way of letting you know it is suddenly time to check your oils level... and that you are 3/4-1 quart low...
Since you're at 4000 mile... I would have to say that the sensor problem (if it was a bad unit) would have reared its ugly head by now.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 07-11-2005, 06:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to icky
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
mine came on once due to a faulty oil level sensor.

then just came on a few days ago and it was low bout a quart. these cars love their oil.

so if its low, add oil, if its not, see dealer!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
I've always driven Japanese cars which, by nature, do not drip, eat, burn or otherwise consume oil at all. I could probably go 20k miles without touching the oil.

I was shocked and stunned when I saw the yellow light in my new 330i. When I parked, I pulled out the manual and found out that I was low on oil. I pulled into the local dealer (about 5 miles away) and had them top off the oil. Very nice & felt kind of special knowing that they're doing something for 'free'.

The next time it happened, I just rolled into a auto parts joint and bought a few quarts of Castrol. It's relatively cheap and takes a whole lot less time to top off than going into the dealership and wait for assistance-even if it is free.

It seems that it is a 5k mile oil top off kind of thing for me too.

Sunnykk-Just keep a quart or two in your trunk & top it off when the light comes on & you'll be fine, or you can pay a friendly visit to the dealership if you so incline.

Johnny
Old 07-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic
The next time it happened, I just rolled into a auto parts joint and bought a few quarts of Castrol. It's relatively cheap and takes a whole lot less time to top off than going into the dealership and wait for assistance-even if it is free.
I assume you used the synthetic Castrol? Some say the Castrol you can buy at the autoparts store is "different" than the Castrol from BMW... Personally, I carry a bottle of BMW oil with me, in my spare tire well, for just such a situation... in fact, BMW offers a bottle holder for those who are overly fastidious...

http://leatherz.com/Merchant2/mercha..._Code=Interior
Old 07-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Achtun*, Spitfire!

Mein Auto: '93 E30 318is Touring
Now THAT'S a piece of information they didn't include in the manual.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2005, 07:03 AM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
Now THAT'S a piece of information they didn't include in the manual.
True, but the manual does have the initial bit of info that the original poster was looking for.