Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
325i E90 Delivery taken - Loads of details inside!

Finally the day came…….. delivery taken 7/9/05 at Richmond BMW (Richmond, VA)

The details of my ride can be found in my signature so I won’t waste any space on it as this post is going to be a bit lengthy as I want to share as much information with you guys a possible.

The details of my “first impression period” with the car was quite the amount of driving as I had to take the car home (from VA to NJ) so I really had some time with the car (about 500 miles driven over the weekend).

I won’t bore you with how much I love the car etc, I just will comment on the hot topics being discussed here recently that were very helpful to me. Basically, all of the experiences, etc that you guys have gone through I looked for and tested when I got the car. So here goes:

Bluetooth – Motorola V710 (Verizon) sync was successful and setup in less than 2 minutes. I already had the latest software on the phone (thanks to you guys of course). Phone sync, address book transfer, voice commands working – overall perfect working condition.

IPOD integration via AUX input – The equipment I used was based mainly from the thread we had going about the IPOD Controls
My setup: Monster Cable iAirPlay Charger, Griffin AirClick Remote Control, Male-Male radio shack aux plug.

The problem with my setup is the Monster Cable iAirPlay charger doesn’t fit in the armrest. Since it has the airplane connector and the car connector, it’s double the size as a regular car charger, therefore making it a little too big and the armrest doesn’t close. For my trip I just used the regular cigarette adapter but I am going sell this iAirPlay on ebay and pick up the regular car adapter. Overall the sound quality (with the IPOD volume all the way up) was very good. All of my Mp3s are encoded at 192khz and they sounded exceptional. The AirClick remote worked flawless and is highly recommended.

Sirius Satellite Radio – Sound quality was very good, I don’t see why everyone was complaining about the sound quality. You can tell it’s not CD quality but I mean it doesn’t sound cloudy or faded at all. My signal varied as I went through many states (VA to NJ) and the quality of the sound stayed consistent the whole time. I don’t regret the Sirius install and would actually recommend to all ordering an E90. (Don’t forget as discussed in other posts you get credit for one year subscription for free, so your balance if you get the “never pay another bill plan” is only about $380. Roughly 29 months of service and you never have to pay again, you can’t beat that)

Voice Commands – Worked well, you have to learn how to say certain names from your phone book in order for the IDrive to understand you. For example if I want to call “Alex”, I have to say “Call A-lex” and emphasize the A. I used the voice command to control the Navigation and of course the cell phone, both worked without a problem, no complaints.

Transmission delay from stop – I do feel the transmission delay as discussed in other threads. I believe the delay has gotten better after a few hundred miles on the car. It was more noticeable in the first 100-200 miles. Has anyone else seen improvement with this issue over time?

Car riding very rough – As discussed in another thread (can’t find link at the time). My car was riding very rough and I remembered the information from another thread stating to check the tire pressure. Unfortunatly I didn’t have my gauge with me when I was on the road so the VA to NJ trip was pretty bumpy and I wasn’t too thrilled with the ride. When I got home the fronts had about 38 PSI (should be 29) and the backs had about 39 PSI (should be 32). After adjusting the tire pressure the car drove like I expected it to drive, basically like driving a different car! MUCH IMPROVED. Another thank you is owed to the forum for the info on this.

Break-In Period – I was easy on her and tried to vary the RPM’s as much as possible although it was difficult as I was on the highway most of the time. I shifted between 5th and 6th gear just to vary the RPM’s while on the highway. I also kept her under 4k RPM all but one time (hit about 4.5k).

I hope this information is helpful; overall I love the car and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Sorry no pics yet but by next week I’ll have PLENTY for you guys.

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Ads by Google
Old 07-11-2005, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Awesome review. One thing about voice command. During my first try on voice command, I could not get it to tune to "105.1 FM'. It kept giving me 102.5 or something else. Aside from that, it works great.

Wish I can voice command channels name or numbers on "All stations" instead of "Presets" in Sat Radio menu. That would make it even sweeter
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
From Ashy to Classy

Mein Auto: 2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Sounds great, when will you have pics up?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Pics will be up on the weekend....

Old 07-11-2005, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
Nice write-up. Things like this are keeping me in my normal semi-sane state, while waiting for my car...

I am well above break-in milage and hadn't found any harshness in the ride on my ZSP 330i. I was actually thinking of putting springs on it to firm it up a bit. Maybe that's due to running on better European roads?

I didn't get a chance to try bluetooth pairing/Sirius/Aux in, so appreciate the lowdown!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin
Finally the day came…….. delivery taken 7/9/05 at Richmond BMW (Richmond, VA)

IPOD integration via AUX input – The equipment I used was based mainly from the thread we had going about the IPOD Controls
My setup: Monster Cable iAirPlay Charger, Griffin AirClick Remote Control, Male-Male radio shack aux plug.

The problem with my setup is the Monster Cable iAirPlay charger doesn’t fit in the armrest. Since it has the airplane connector and the car connector, it’s double the size as a regular car charger, therefore making it a little too big and the armrest doesn’t close. For my trip I just used the regular cigarette adapter but I am going sell this iAirPlay on ebay and pick up the regular car adapter. Overall the sound quality (with the IPOD volume all the way up) was very good. All of my Mp3s are encoded at 192khz and they sounded exceptional. The AirClick remote worked flawless and is highly recommended.
My bad. I think I recomended the Monster air play cable in an earlier thread. It doesn't fit with the arm rest closed which bummed me out. Sorry about that. I am in the market for a new power cable too. The mosnster cable is great on those 15 hr flights to Hong Kong though.

Air click worked great, but I won't be truly happy untill they get an interface so I can see song titles on the nav screen.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:35 AM

I agree with the song titles on the NAV screen but it's not that big of a deal considering I hear the songs so much I know everything on that IPOD inside and out (That's what commuting to/from manhattan daily will do for you)

It's all good about the recommendation it was a great idea just didn't fit by a half inch or so, I'll sell on ebay and break even on it. I'll just buy another charger.

Most of all I am happy with the sound the IPOD is producing.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Congratulations on the new ride!

Quote:
Voice Commands – Worked well, you have to learn how to say certain names from your phone book in order for the IDrive to understand you. For example if I want to call “Alex”, I have to say “Call A-lex” and emphasize the A. I used the voice command to control the Navigation and of course the cell phone, both worked without a problem, no complaints.
Where I'm from most people speak french, but the voice recognition only works with english (You can switch iDrive display to french but it is more confusing if you have to translate the commands you read before saying them, so I stuck to english). However, my sister has a very noticable accent when speaking english, and when I tried to demonstrate voice recognition, I said: "I'll press this button and you'll just have to say Climate!" What she said sounded more like "cleematt", I had to stop the whole voice recognition thing before she would program in new AM stations...

Quote:
Transmission delay from stop – I do feel the transmission delay as discussed in other threads. I believe the delay has gotten better after a few hundred miles on the car. It was more noticeable in the first 100-200 miles. Has anyone else seen improvement with this issue over time?
I noticed this too, the car seems more eager to start from a standstill now.

Quote:
Car riding very rough – As discussed in another thread (can’t find link at the time). My car was riding very rough and I remembered the information from another thread stating to check the tire pressure. Unfortunatly I didn’t have my gauge with me when I was on the road so the VA to NJ trip was pretty bumpy and I wasn’t too thrilled with the ride. When I got home the fronts had about 38 PSI (should be 29) and the backs had about 39 PSI (should be 32). After adjusting the tire pressure the car drove like I expected it to drive, basically like driving a different car! MUCH IMPROVED. Another thank you is owed to the forum for the info on this.
I read that tires are overinflated for the duration of the car's trip from the factory to the dealership - maybe your dealer forgot to set them back to the right pressure.

Quote:
Break-In Period – I was easy on her and tried to vary the RPM’s as much as possible although it was difficult as I was on the highway most of the time. I shifted between 5th and 6th gear just to vary the RPM’s while on the highway. I also kept her under 4k RPM all but one time (hit about 4.5k).
I accidentally hit 4.7k but it was only for a fraction of a second and the car had more than 500km on it so I don't think there is much damage to be scared of there. This engine is just so eager to climb in the rev range it's amazing, and you have to be careful even when driving normally as that 4-4.5k mark is coming real fast, even when you are far from flooring it!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:45 AM

Readjusted the tire pressure because I deflated too much since the car was hot and the PSI reading was higher than the actual.

It still was in fact more inflated than it should have been but I took out too much when deflating since the tires were hot.

Just wanted to give a quick update.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 05 Altima SER
Don't mean to thread jack, but I see that you purchased your car from Richmond BMW. Was just wondering how they were to deal with. Was their price better than locally? Richmond is only a couple of hours from us, never delt with them before and was wondering if it was worth the time to contact someone there for a quote.

TIA!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
After a few hundred miles my step 330i has cured itself entirely of the throttle delay. Big difference.

You should try sport mode on the transmission. It really elimiantes and lag at all.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
Voice command: Try "FM, all stations" That worked in my 5 series.

I-drive shortcut: after it boots up and you press down to get past the "legal" screen, pull the mouse to Entertainment and hold it there for a few seconds before releasing. It should take you to the last entertainment menu you were using.

Another great shortcut to turn off the voice guidance in the Nav system: say "Guidance" that's it....it will cancel the guidance. You probably know you can mute the voice instructions with the upper steering wheel button. Just keep in mind that if you use the word "Guidance" it will cancel, not pause, the navigation. So only do that when you want to cancel rather than mute her.

Last edited by MarcusSDCA; 07-13-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Flanary
After a few hundred miles my step 330i has cured itself entirely of the throttle delay. Big difference.

You should try sport mode on the transmission. It really elimiantes and lag at all.
I didn't really go into sport mode yet because the car is still being broken in. I don't want to have any type of temptation to push the car

After 1,200 miles I will be sure to try out the sport mode

Thanks for the advice.