Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
Florida goes after the booming car audio jack@sses

I hate those bastages driving by and rattling the windows of my house

Florida tries to quiet down 'boom cars'
The Sunshine State passes a tough new law as the national fight to reduce noise rumbles on.

By Richard Luscombe | Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor

MIAMI It's high summer on Miami's world-famous South Beach, and the sounds of the season are pumping from the open windows of cars cruising past the cafes and bars of Ocean Drive.
Along with perfectly toned roller skaters and attractive young Latinas, rap music that blares from car stereos and rattles windows has become a hallmark of one of America's trendiest strips.

But now, a new state law is turning down the volume on Florida's notorious "boom cars." Any driver who plays music loud enough to be heard by a police officer standing 25 feet away is at risk of receiving a $70 ticket. Previously the measurement was 100 feet.

"This is long overdue," says Douglas Fox of the Florida chapter of Noise Free America (NFA), an organization that has pledged itself to a war on what it calls audio terrorism. "There's been a real problem with amplified speakers for the last 20 years and with cars driving around with noise levels that are just frightening and a hazard to health."

Florida's new law is part of a significant trend to cut noise nationwide. The boom car has been a common target of legislation, and cities and counties in many states, including California, Georgia, Massachusetts, and New York, have introduced measures seeking to restrict the decibels. Chicago and New York City officers have the authority to impound cars, and drivers whose music can be heard from 50 feet in Papillion, Neb., face jail time.

Florida, however, has long been near the top of NFA's noise pollution list, and its cities are regular recipients of the group's monthly "noisy dozen" award. One such award was made in November after a St. Petersburg woman filed a high-profile lawsuit against a teenage neighbor claiming that the constant booming of the stereo in his Jeep robbed her of the right to peaceful enjoyment of her home. The case was settled out of court when the teen agreed to sell his stereo and make a public apology. He also sold the Jeep.

"Boom cars are part of the culture in Florida," says Ted Rueter, executive director of NFA. "Everyone has to be cool. The emphasis is on youth. There's the great weather with plenty of sunshine that just encourages them."

Not surprisingly, Florida's new law has not found favor with car-stereo enthusiasts. Many have invested thousands of dollars in powerful sound systems and say they're determined to use them.

"There's going to be a whole lot of lawbreakers out there," says Amar Bachan, who installs car stereos at Mexican American Sound in Fort Lauderdale. "People want loud music while they're driving. They might turn it down if they see a police officer, but they're not going to be put off by a $70 citation."

One such driver is Sam Huggins of Deerfield Beach, who paid Fort Lauderdale's Bianca Sounds almost $1,000 to convert his white Chevrolet SUV into a mobile music machine, complete with two heavy-duty subwoofer speakers that are the size of dustbin lids.

"You have to respect the officers when you see them," he says. "But when you don't..."

Those in favor of the new law point to more than just the annoyance factor. Audiologists caution against exposure to loud music for extended periods, and they say that young drivers who keep their stereos pumping may be putting themselves and their passengers in conditions adverse to healthy hearing.

"The greatest risk potential is the impact on these youngsters' future working lives. If they want to become a professional driver and get a license, they're not going to be able to do that, or join the military," says Prof. Barry Freeman of Nova Southeastern University, Davie, and past president of the American Audiology Association. "I'm in favor of anything that can be done to reduce noise."

Dr. Freeman points to federal guidelines for industry that define the maximum safe exposure times. For example, workers should not be exposed to noise of 100 decibels for more than two hours daily. Car stereos with 2,000-watt subwoofer speakers can provide up to about 135 decibels, and the sound of a jumbo jet taking off is 140 decibels.

Whether Florida's law is effective comes down to how police use their discretionary powers. Officer Bobby Hernandez of Miami Beach Police Department says that citations under the city's existing quality-of-life ordinance are "as common as speeding tickets" and that his force won't hesitate to use the new law when loud music is causing a disturbance.

"It gives us more authority and makes it difficult for a person to play their music to the point of annoyance," he says. "Officers assigned to Ocean Drive, and all of Miami Beach, are cognizant that this is a problem perhaps not so common in other cities."

Mr. Rueter of NFA, however, remains wary. "Police don't take it seriously enough," he says. "The problem is they insist on having to [hear] the noise. But they don't insist on observing a murder, robbery, or rape to do something about that."

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
I'm with you on this man, but it seems like a problem that will never be fixed. The older I get, the more that booming bass gets on my nerves.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
I'm with you on this man, but it seems like a problem that will never be fixed. The older I get, the more that booming bass gets on my nerves.
I don't mind it except for when some kid in my neighborhood decides that everyone likes T.I. at 6:30 in the morning on his way to work or wherever. During the day or weekends I don't think twice about it. I used to be one of those guys w/ the boomin stereo so I don't feel that I can b!tch too much.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: A 333 Horse Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamM3
Mr. Rueter of NFA, however, remains wary. "Police don't take it seriously enough," he says. "The problem is they insist on having to [hear] the noise. But they don't insist on observing a murder, robbery, or rape to do something about that."
Well, I'm all for cracking down on noise pollution, but unlike Mr. Rueter, I'd stop short of making it a FELONY.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
thumpers

We have wormsign! The likes of which, GOD has NEVER SEEN!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Powered by Honda
I think the Harleys with aftermarket pipes are much more of a nuisance.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Joker
I think the Harleys with aftermarket pipes are much more of a nuisance.
Harley's period! Especially when you're the boogin across the street from me that likes his sunday morning rides but only haver his bike sits in the front yard for about a half an hour being warmed up usually by several redline revv's.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
O Genki Desu ka?

Send a message via AIM to ljh824
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
It won't matter. It's impossible to enforce. I may be showing my age but damn, kids today have no consideration for other people. I'm living in a tight apartment complex until my house is finished, and a-holes will come through at like 3 in the morning blasting bass. I may throw baseballs at them next time they pass. Damn, i'm old.

"We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers,
for he today who sheds his blood with me,
shall be my brother"...Shakespeare, Henry V
Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Ik hou van Holland...

Mein Auto: 530xiT
Yep they better put a stop to that nonsense...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh824
It won't matter. It's impossible to enforce. I may be showing my age but damn, kids today have no consideration for other people. I'm living in a tight apartment complex until my house is finished, and a-holes will come through at like 3 in the morning blasting bass. I may throw baseballs at them next time they pass. Damn, i'm old.
Its not just the kids, its their parents too. The loud Harleys aren't generally ridden by 20 year olds. Don't forget about people who don't shut off their car alarms.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-13-2005, 02:59 PM
O Genki Desu ka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
Its not just the kids, its their parents too. The loud Harleys aren't generally ridden by 20 year olds. Don't forget about people who don't shut off their car alarms.
Exactly. I have this guy that parks out front and his alarm is CONSTANTLY going off at all hours in the morning. Annoying as $hit.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Living on the redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote

DUNE

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why it's called the present

Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Orient Blue 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh824
I have that problem with the neighbors behind me. They live in a different development, so there is a street between us. These assholes come in late at night blaring their music and bass. It sucks because I have two infant children and I can't seem to make any headway with these people. No one in the neighborhood will talk to them (I won't say why because someone will go nuts with what I say), but I have briefly approached them. The resolution has always been temporary and now they pay me no regard. It's been three years.

And I thought I read on this forum that Louisana enacted a law that calls for your license plate being taken away from you for 30 days if you violate the law. I guess that is supposed to mean you can't drive that particular car for 30 days.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
O Genki Desu ka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBmwGuy
I have that problem with the neighbors behind me. They live in a different development, so there is a street between us. These assholes come in late at night blaring their music and bass. It sucks because I have two infant children and I can't seem to make any headway with these people. No one in the neighborhood will talk to them (I won't say why because someone will go nuts with what I say), but I have briefly approached them. The resolution has always been temporary and now they pay me no regard. It's been three years.

And I thought I read on this forum that Louisana enacted a law that calls for your license plate being taken away from you for 30 days if you violate the law. I guess that is supposed to mean you can't drive that particular car for 30 days.
I feel for you. I don't have kids but I always wondered how this would affect families with kids. It really sucks. And you took your life into your hands approaching them probably. Maybe, slowly if the cops follow through on busting these guys, they will get the message.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileECoyote
That is too funny. My G/F and I have always referred to that when we hear the ultra loud bass.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:06 AM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTimmy
That is too funny. My G/F and I have always referred to that when we hear the ultra loud bass.
You and your girlfriend are geeks.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
The newest thing in da hood here in Oaktown are gushers, pronounced like tush. Flattened out exhaust pipes which make your car sound like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a jet taking off - gun the engine a bit and it makes a very discernible and distinctive whoooshing sound. It's not loud but it is penetrating. Very very annoying.

The whole trend here with the Mr. Thumping Bass Asshole cars and the Gushers is to announce to the world - "I am here" - sort of having a herald of trumpets to announce your entry.

I wholeheartedly endorse a ticket for offenders and would suggest impounding the car for repeat tickets.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849

Last edited by paulg; 07-14-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Omni Extaris

Quote:

They are nearly always black, 16 - 20 years old, and driving $500 cars with $1000 stereos.

I walk right up to them and talk to them - usually about the need to drive the f0ck slower. They gun their cars between speed bumps and there are a ton of very young children here.

A woman was walking with about 8 little kids and one had prematurely started across the street. An asshole with an old Chevy van was just starting to gun the engine to zoom across the 30 ft of free road (who knows why) and I saw mass slaughter coming. I picked up the kid and moved him out of the way and then stood in the street and stopped the idiots - pointed to the 8 pre school children on the sidewalk and told him that one of these days he will kill someone, ruin his own life and end up in prison for 10 years.
I usually make an impression.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 07-14-2005, 10:14 AM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg
They are nearly always black, 16 - 20 years old, and driving $500 cars with $1000 stereos.

I walk right up to them and talk to them - usually about the need to drive the f0ck slower. They gun their cars between speed bumps and there are a ton of very young children here.

A woman was walking with about 8 little kids and one had prematurely started across the street. An asshole with an old Chevy van was just starting to gun the engine to zoom across the 30 ft of free road (who knows why) and I saw mass slaughter coming. I picked up the kid and moved him out of the way and then stood in the street and stopped the idiots - pointed to the 8 pre school children on the sidewalk and told him that one of these days he will kill someone, ruin his own life and end up in prison for 10 years.
I usually make an impression.
In my neck of the woods they are almost always white, dressed like gangsta's driving some decent rides. I guess things are different in Oakland. The greatest part about here is when you are of color and call out a white guy they usually bow down and succomb to the brother in black wearing a Raider hat (props to anyone that can figure out where that was bastardized from) We've got so many white folk around here that want to act hard it's more than entertainment, it's almost a game.

On the flip side, I was pretty sure I was going to get shot at again last summer when I busted up laughing at 2 "Vato's" rolling in a white Caddy w/ 22" spinners.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Omni Extaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever
In my neck of the woods they are almost always white, dressed like gangsta's driving some decent rides. I guess things are different in Oakland. The greatest part about here is when you are of color and call out a white guy they usually bow down and succomb to the brother in black wearing a Raider hat (props to anyone that can figure out where that was bastardized from) We've got so many white folk around here that want to act hard it's more than entertainment, it's almost a game.

On the flip side, I was pretty sure I was going to get shot at again last summer when I busted up laughing at 2 "Vato's" rolling in a white Caddy w/ 22" spinners.
I am sure the perps vary in ethnicity by neighborhood. Raider hats are somewhat common in Oakland.

Samuel Clemens

Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
call me darkcloud

Quote:
I am sure the perps vary in ethnicity by neighborhood. Raider hats are somewhat common in Oakland.
One way to ensure death in a horrible fashion is to wear a Raider hat at Arrowhead come September.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Living on the redline

Quote:

the racial tone seemed a bit out of place for you, I was a bit taken aback even ...

Old 07-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci
Quote:
No one in the neighborhood will talk to them (I won't say why because someone will go nuts with what I say), but I have briefly approached them. The resolution has always been temporary and now they pay me no regard. It's been three years.
If outright racial comments get to you... being a minority myself - comments like the one I quoted get to me even more.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Living on the redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBenz
If outright racial comments get to you... being a minority myself - comments like the one I quoted get to me even more.

my experience is that it has more to do with age than race

Old 07-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamM3

my experience is that it has more to do with age than race
I agree with the age idea. But I think what Florida is doing is a good idea. It can only help with the loud music, no matter how much it may or may not be enforced. People that play music that loud just don't get it. But good luck telling them that I applaud Fl. for being the first state (I think)to take action. Hopefully more states will follow. Even when I was young and liked my music loud(er), I never did what they do nowadays. Heck, when I have the top down and come to a stop light I turn it down and i'ts not even that loud.

I keep this picture up as a tribute to the 330 ZHP. I now have a Z4