Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 07-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
BMW diesels for the USA in 2007

BMW will add diesel-engine options to some of its vehicles in its U.S. lineup, with the first likely to be a diesel-powered SUV due on the market in 2007. Burkhard Goeschel, board member for research and development, told audiences at the SAE World Congress in Detroit that the company is actively planning for a 2007 launch despite the toughening of diesel-particulate emissions rules in that year. Automotive News reports that almost one-half of all BMWs sold in Europe are diesels, a penetration rate on par with all automakers on the continent. New rules for the amount of sulfur in diesel fuel take effect later in the decade in the U.S., as do new rules for emissions allowed from the engines, but Goeschel told audiences that meeting the new regulations would not be an issue.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Indu...173.A8458.html

I am trying to get an online source for Mr Goeschel's speech at the SAE Congress from back in April 2005.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 E92 M3, '97 332ti
I'd like a 330d Touring please!
Old 07-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryN
I'd like a 330d Touring please!
You want the 335d
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
It's great news finally but knowing BMWNA all we may get in a 3 series will probably be 320d.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Make mine a 330d, SP with a 6 speed.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 98 M3/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Baumann
You want the 335d
Will the 335d get the 535d's engine?

I will take one and get it DMS'ed. 506lb ft at 2500rpm

... ...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:40 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
I wonder how resale will prove with the diesel variants here.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq
Will the 335d get the 535d's engine?

I will take one and get it DMS'ed. 506lb ft at 2500rpm
Yup, that will be the same engine, 272hp
Old 07-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Yup, that will be the same engine, 272hp

Old 07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

You know you want it
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 00 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
I wonder how resale will prove with the diesel variants here.
What does diesel fuel sell for ($) in Europe? Alex?
I assume the price differential (gas vs diesel fuel) here would have a large effect on how these models are
received. (and resold)
Price increase over gas engines? Say the mpg went from 20 to 30 and the option was
$2500, it`d take 5 years @ 15000 miles per to break even. Many variables but plug in
your own #`s.

Last edited by 99flhr; 07-14-2005 at 09:46 AM. Reason: omissio
Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99flhr
What does diesel fuel sell for ($) in Europe? Alex?
I assume the price differential here would have a large effect on how these models are
received. (and resold)
Price increase over gas engines? Say the mpg went from 20 to 30 and the option was
$2500, it`d take 5 years @ 15000 miles per to break even. Many variables but plug in
your own #`s.
Around 1.07 Euro/Liter = $1.28 => 1 gal = $4.84

Last edited by Alex Baumann; 07-14-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:52 AM
howdy

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Saw a diesel X3 driving in the Detroit area this week. (It had a 3.0d badge on the front quarterpanel). It also had Bosch stickers all over it - is Bosch going to make the X3d engine over here? Is the X3 engine already made over here in Spartanburg? Does Bosch make a good diesel? Have I asked enough questions?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' poppa
Saw a diesel X3 driving in the Detroit area this week. (It had a 3.0d badge on the front quarterpanel). It also had Bosch stickers all over it - is Bosch going to make the X3d engine over here? Is the X3 engine already made over here in Spartanburg? Does Bosch make a good diesel? Have I asked enough questions?
No, Bosch doesn't make the engines. The engines are being produced at BMW's Steyr factory in Austria.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Proud S ponsor

Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
No, Bosch doesn't make the engines. The engines are being produced at BMW's Steyr factory in Austria.
The engines are built there too Alex? I thought Steyr was just the final assembly point for that vehicle
Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
You know you want it
Well, what I want is a 535dT. Silver, black cloth, NAV/TV, clutch, rear sun shade, M aero kit and the right wheels.

What I don't have is 92.000 EUR burning a hole in my wallet.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 00 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Well, what I want is a 535dT. Silver, black cloth, NAV/TV, clutch, rear sun shade, M aero kit and the right wheels.

What I don't have is 92.000 EUR burning a hole in my wallet.

OUCH! What would the same vehicle sell for in Germany? I`m assuming less, if so, what accounts for the difference? Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99flhr
OUCH! What would the same vehicle sell for in Germany? I`m assuming less, if so, what accounts for the difference? Thanks
The same car would cost 59.870 EUR in Germany. The difference is the import taxation in Finland.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
And also the fact that we are so f0cking rich up here in the swamps of Fenno-Scandia, that we can easily afford a car with a price tag like that.

NOT.

Yes, car taxes and VAT make it silly to buy a new car here. Trust me.

This week, I failed to buy an E60 530d (clutch) with all of the extras that I could have ever dreamed of (wife is still pissed). I am just not willing to pay 67.500 EUR for a used car that will lose 1.000 EUR a month in value.

No worries though, I will just drive my POS E39 for another year. Anyway, I am still on vacation, and I am now surfing ebookers.fi to buy tickets to go BACK TO CRETE for three weeks.

Happy holidays!

Old 07-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Around 1.07 Euro/Liter = $1.28 => 1 gal = $4.84
As much as I would like a diesel BMW...they are by far the nicest diesel engine I have ever driven...here in the states, there is not as much financial gain for using diesel. I remember in Europe diesel was a great deal. Milage was much better and the fuel was a bit cheaper. Now, in the area where I am living in Illinois, diesel cost MORE per gallon than premium unleaded
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate
As much as I would like a diesel BMW...they are by far the nicest diesel engine I have ever driven...here in the states, there is not as much financial gain for using diesel. I remember in Europe diesel was a great deal. Milage was much better and the fuel was a bit cheaper. Now, in the area where I am living in Illinois, diesel cost MORE per gallon than premium unleaded
Actually, the governments (German government in this case) trying to equalize the diesel and patrol prices (by increasing the prices and the fuel tax). Unless you are not driving more than 30.000km (18.600miles), diesel is not an economical alternative due to the yearly car tax.

With the introduction of particle filter, diesels are becoming more environmental friendly, but I'm not very optimistic about the future regulations.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Diesels also emit fewer greenhouse gasses, for those like me who are concerned about global warming.

Quote:

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Actually, the governments (German government in this case) trying to equalize the diesel and patrol prices (by increasing the prices and the fuel tax). Unless you are not driving more than 30.000km (18.600miles), diesel is not an economical alternative due to the yearly car tax.

With the introduction of particle filter, diesels are becoming more environmental friendly, but I'm not very optimistic about the future regulations.
Interesting you mention it isn't an economical alternative...aren't nearly half the car on the road in Europ diesel? I know while living in the UK most people had either cars running 1.2~1.6L petrol engines or diesels. All but two of my rental cars in Austria and Germany were diesel as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Spelling Impaired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A
Diesels also emit fewer greenhouse gasses, for those like me who are concerned about global warming.
Hey, I like them, don't get me wrong. While they might emit fewer greenhouse gasses, aren't they higher on the particulates?

Around here, they just aren't a viable solution. I know of 1 gas station which has 1 diesel pump within a 30+ mile radius of where I live and work. At that station, they charge 20+ cents per gallon MORE than premium unleaded.

It really a very odd situation because I live in a pretty rural area where all the farm equipment runs on diesel, and there are tons of diesel pick-up trucks. That one lone gas station must make a killing!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Interesting you mention it isn't an economical alternative...aren't nearly half the car on the road in Europ diesel? I know while living in the UK most people had either cars running 1.2~1.6L petrol engines or diesels. All but two of my rental cars in Austria and Germany were diesel as well.
Correct, more than the half of the 3 Series sold are diesels. But most of the buyers are buying a diesel, because it is 'trendy' to drive a diesel at the moment. But as I mentioned, if you are driving, let's say, 10.000km in a year, you are much better served with a petrol engine, because it is tax free for the first 3 years (for new cars).

Not economical, in terms of overall costs, not the consumption.