Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
G35 kill

Not just a G35, but a G35 with "Skyline GT" badging a big a$$ wing. Complete the pic with two big ole shiney mufflers . Without the wing, the car would have looked pretty cool. Since I had wondered about how I'd fair against a modded one after I walked a stock 350 in 2003, I thought I'd give this one a run.

All of the exciting stuff aside, I walked him 'till I wouldn't continue. We were very evenly matched until the northern limits of speed and good sense. I'm pretty sure that without his wing, we'd have been neck and neck.

For those who wonder, I've done three things to 'increase' HP in my 2000 540:
Dinan software.
I put on an intake manifold from a '95 740. I have no CAI.
SuperSprint Exhaust.

I put 'increase' in quotes b/c I am not confident anything but the intake manifold did any real good.
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Way to go Jae!

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 07-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
Of course I am a BMW fan, however, you have a V8 and he has a V6. Try racing an M45, even the original version, and I am sure the outcome would of been 180 degrees different. When they feel like it, and want to put as much emphasis on performance as BMW, Nissan is not one to phuck with.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Nice... very nice!

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecult
Of course I am a BMW fan, however, you have a V8 and he has a V6. Try racing an M45, even the original version, and I am sure the outcome would of been 180 degrees different. When they feel like it, and want to put as much emphasis on performance as BMW, Nissan is not one to phuck with.
This week alone I've had two Altimas (the hi-po model) pull up next to me at a
stop light and look over. I wouldn't even bother...

Old 07-16-2005, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
This week alone I've had two Altimas (the hi-po model) pull up next to me at a
stop light and look over. I wouldn't even bother...

What do you mean Jon? Are you talking about those new SE-R versions, or what?
Old 07-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecult
What do you mean Jon? Are you talking about those new SE-R versions, or what?
Yeah, I think that's what they're called. Teenagers behind the wheel.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:16 PM

Nissan(and their dress up division) is the only real competition for BMW... they can be a hand full.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:23 PM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
Nissan(and their dress up division) is the only real competition for BMW... they can be a hand full.
Not in the top end. I've played with about three of these. As soon as we hit 130 I start to pull away quick.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp
Not in the top end. I've played with about three of these. As soon as we hit 130 I start to pull away quick.
I've actually never lost to either... I was just sayin' that they are the only ones that are close.

Old 07-16-2005, 10:42 PM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
I've actually never lost to either... I was just sayin' that they are the only ones that are close.
If the interior wasn't so japaneese, Iwould have bought it.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to BeachBum
Mein Auto: 2000 540i6 - 2004 Titan
Nice...

Last edited by BeachBum; 07-17-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: ITR, 540iT, & Touareg V8
Talking

Quote:
If the interior wasn't so japaneese, Iwould have bought it.
I take offense to that!
First, of all not all japan cars have crappy interior unless you have something against japanese ppl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JON
Yeah, I think that's what they're called. Teenagers behind the wheel.
Second, it goes both ways also. Just a month ago an M3 E36 pulled up next to me on Hwy 24. I was driving my other car '00 Integra Type R. He began to give me the stare and revving his car in an act of wanting to race ME. Please that car has an Inline 6, I have a 4 banger. Overzealous SOB! My car came straight from the factory with the color of Phoenix Yellow(kind of like Lego Yellow) with a high wing w/c I hate because it blocks my rear view, with this color I attract all kind of bugs including Mustang Cobra. Go figure.

Lastly, Propellerhead, good job prancing all over that G35 with "Skyline GT" badging and 2 Big Ole shiney mufflers. The owner probably can't afford any other modification since he spent all his money having a "Skyline GT" badge. A '04 G35 has supposedly a 280 hp V6 out of the factory. With the badge on, huh, will give it 5 extra hp for the sake of conversation. And your car has a V8 282 hp, supposedly, out of the factory. Given your other modification, probably an added 10? hp. Come on now BIG Boy try going against a 4th Gen Toyota Supra or better yet a real Skyline or 240SX turned "Silvia" (note: all are inline 6 maybe FI or NA from "Factory") and outcome will be a little bit different and will wish you were still "walking" the G35 w/ the badge and big ole muffler.

Sorry, guys its just irritating hearing all this David and Goliath BS. Thinking you had accomplished something. I guess every car site are the same. They talk about their accomplishment comparing apples to orange. Wake up you have a freaking V8 w/upgrade , while the other have a V6 and let's not forget the "BADGE" and a wing. Come on now, is that fair. If you think it is, then don't forget to include your achievements in your kids' and grandchils' bedtime stories.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:38 AM
bmw330pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodimusPrime
I take offense to that!
First, of all not all japan cars have crappy interior unless you have something against japanese ppl.

Second, it goes both ways also. Just a month ago an M3 E36 pulled up next to me on Hwy 24. I was driving my other car '00 Integra Type R. He began to give me the stare and revving his car in an act of wanting to race ME. Please that car has an Inline 6, I have a 4 banger. Overzealous SOB! My car came straight from the factory with the color of Phoenix Yellow(kind of like Lego Yellow) with a high wing w/c I hate because it blocks my rear view, with this color I attract all kind of bugs including Mustang Cobra. Go figure.

Lastly, Propellerhead, good job prancing all over that G35 with "Skyline GT" badging and 2 Big Ole shiney mufflers. The owner probably can't afford any other modification since he spent all his money having a "Skyline GT" badge. A '04 G35 has supposedly a 280 hp V6 out of the factory. With the badge on, huh, will give it 5 extra hp for the sake of conversation. And your car has a V8 282 hp, supposedly, out of the factory. Given your other modification, probably an added 10? hp. Come on now BIG Boy try going against a 4th Gen Toyota Supra or better yet a real Skyline or 240SX turned "Silvia" (note: all are inline 6 maybe FI or NA from "Factory") and outcome will be a little bit different and will wish you were still "walking" the G35 w/ the badge and big ole muffler.

Sorry, guys its just irritating hearing all this David and Goliath BS. Thinking you had accomplished something. I guess every car site are the same. They talk about their accomplishment comparing apples to orange. Wake up you have a freaking V8 w/upgrade , while the other have a V6 and let's not forget the "BADGE" and a wing. Come on now, is that fair. If you think it is, then don't forget to include your achievements in your kids' and grandchils' bedtime stories.
WTF are you talking about? First, I never said Japaneese cars had crappy interiors. I used to own a civic ek and loved that car to death. I also loved the interior in it. Don't come in here with your ASSumptions trying to pull a race card jack.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:24 AM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
WTF are you talking about? First, I never said Japaneese cars had crappy interiors. I used to own a civic ek and loved that car to death. I also loved the interior in it. Don't come in here with your ASSumptions trying to pull a race card jack.
That guy is trolling for an arguement.

Best to ignore!
moonroof:
Old 07-17-2005, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
If your driving 150 on a public highway you're an idiot! So what, your car is faster than someone elses. There will always be a car faster than yours and what point did you make driving 150mph. Wow, you must be 16! Do it on a track.

Last edited by Maximus57; 07-17-2005 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Come on now BIG Boy
Now THATS my point! You keep talking ab HP and apples and oranges when the point is that the 4 door orange can walk a sporty lil apple. Try adding a couple doors and about 1000lbs to that G35.. and then try adding about 100 lbs to it's driver. Though I guess he DID have the wing to add some weight. Let's not forget- as you failed to mention in your comparisons- we don't KNOW what the G35 had done to his car! We can safely guess since he'd bought the mufflers, he also did a CAI and a chip. So now, he's what- 290-300HP as well? Sounds like with fewer doors he should have the edge? This battle was David and David, no Goliath here. In fact, I even mention that we were even until displacement took over.

Besides, I dont think people should badge a car before they give it beef. Even a $22 Skline GT badge made me wonder if they'd dropped a japanese motor in it. But a few bolt on's and a chip do not a Skyline make. It'd be like me throwing an M5 badge on my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus57
Do it on a track.
Agreed!

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-17-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Hated by hater haters

Mein Auto: 09 MINI JCW
Quote:
If your driving 150 on a public highway you're an idiot! So what, your car is faster than someone elses. There will always be a car faster than yours and what point did you make driving 150mph. Wow, you must be 16! Do it on a track.

Agree...racing on public streets is dumb.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
First of all... I didn't see a post that mentioned 150mph.

Second... there are a lot of "public roads" that would allow for these kinds of runs... and I hardly think a person is an IDIOT just because they take advantage of this fact. It might be a good idea... in the future... to avoid such extreme generalizations.

You might want to send that massage to your favorite magazine editor. They do these type of "runs" all the time in SoCal while testing cars for the articles we all love to read.

Lastly... if you think that just because a person enjoys a little sporting fun while cruising the highways and byways that they are an immature so and so... might I suggest that you're an old crusty fart and should get your ass out of that BMW and into a Buick.

OK, OK... before you freak out ... relax ... I'm just giving you a hard time. I think the guys that street race and put other peoples lives at risk are idiots, too. But, there are places and times when you can enjoy the virtues of speed... even if a track isn't available at the time.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I take offense to that! ...

YOU... are a troll.

Face it... EVERYONE knows that Jap cars use lower grade (CHEAP) materials... that's why they are able to sell their cars for a significantly lower price (CHEAP).

Get OVER IT!

As for everything you said re: David and Goliath and the OP... :asshole:

It is a great post... I, for one... am really glad Prop posted it. It's a very enjoyable read... like I was there. And as he said in his rather polite response to your puke... the advantage was likely the G35's.

Old 07-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
I saw a post on here this am about some bonehead doing 150 with his buddies in the car. He must have removed it, (if that's possible) I don't see it now. Must have been some punk ass kid, (as I called it) Must have been driving dad's car. And yes, I'm slowily becoming a crusty old fart. I just cringe when I hear of someone driving that fast on a public road, especially some snot nose kid that thinks he's a professional driver. I see more deaths because a car load of teens were F'ing around and blew through a stop light at 100mph and kills some guy heading home from work. That's my point. My mom just bought a Buick LaCrosse, maybe we should trade!
Old 07-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I saw a post on here this am about some bonehead doing 150 with his buddies in the car. He must have removed it, (if that's possible) I don't see it now. Must have been some punk ass kid, (as I called it) Must have been driving dad's car. And yes, I'm slowily becoming a crusty old fart. I just cringe when I hear of someone driving that fast on a public road, especially some snot nose kid that thinks he's a professional driver. I see more deaths because a car load of teens were F'ing around and blew through a stop light at 100mph and kills some guy heading home from work. That's my point. My mom just bought a Buick LaCrosse, maybe we should trade!
No man... I'm serious... I was just giving you a hard time. Your point was a GREAT one. I was just having a little fun.
I see the same punk ass kids you see who have NO business (and very little, if any, experience) doing the things they are doing where they are doing them. I am totally on your side... I promise.

As long as you don't stink... (I'll have to trust you on this one)... I promise to refrain from referring to you as a crusty ol' fart.

Last edited by SpeedFreak!; 07-17-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 AM

BTW, Prop... that is one seriously gorgeous baby. Having 3 of my own... I consider myself something of an authority on they matter. Good gene pool... extremely adorable!

The misses must be a raging Hottie... or you're one very Metro Sexual man...

Old 07-18-2005, 01:37 AM
bmw330pp

Speed, what are you still doing up at this hour?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Speed, what are you still doing up at this hour?

Dude... I'm still dealing with fits of uncontrollable laughter... that was way to funny to me...

You seem like an extremely cool person... I can't wait to meet you in person.

Alright... I'm going to bed... let's see if I can get some...