Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-18-2005, 03:18 AM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak!
Dude... I'm still dealing with fits of uncontrollable laughter... that was way to funny to me...

You seem like an extremely cool person... I can't wait to meet you in person.

Alright... I'm going to bed... let's see if I can get some...
Can't wait to meet you also!(Tryin' not to sound gay here )
Have a good night, and hope you get some!

Mark
Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Wrenchin'

Mein Auto: E46 M3
makes me want to re-do my first run against one, I never got to the 'displacement' part of my run . I did have an encounter (something that I could not avoid) with a acura vigor last night. I was driving like a normal human being as I merged into the SLOW LANE of the highway, when this acura vigor decides to speed up and FORCE me to hit my brakes (since he was so god damn slow) because my strip of road was about to come to an end After seeing him rice around from lane to lane, I decided to make my way into a clear lane. As I arrive next to him, I punched. Next thing I know I'm at 100, looked around and vigor was no where to be found, then i hit the brakes. Of course he ketch'd up...eventually and cut me off via the 'striped' zone of a ramp. good for him go viiiiiiiiiigorrrrrrrrrrrr!!

anyhows, i have a thing against g35's as you know feels great to run with 2 door coupes with a big ol' 4 door sedan doesn't it? you should change your title to 'g35 slayer'
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Hey Prop,

Good to have a little fun every now and again

-Mark
Old 07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to tsaros
Mein Auto: 540i -6 -99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
For those who wonder, I've done three things to 'increase' HP in my 2000 540:
Dinan software.
I put on an intake manifold from a '95 740. I have no CAI.
SuperSprint Exhaust.

I put 'increase' in quotes b/c I am not confident anything but the intake manifold did any real good.
Im wondering
Is this just a bolt-on upgrade or does it involve more then so?
Any pictures etc?

My 540iM -6
E39 M5 OEM Wheels and Cross Spoke Composite II 42 18", CDV Deleted, Eisenmann Race 2x76mm,Rogue Engineering Short Shifter (+WSR), Rogue Engineering Camber plates, Stoptech SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate, Bilstein PSS9, M60 intake. (Sold)

My old 528i Touring -98
H&R+Bilstein Sprint, E39 M5 OEM Wheels 245+275, CDV Deleted, M50 intake manifold, BBTB (Sold 2005-07-15)
Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaros
Im wondering
Is this just a bolt-on upgrade or does it involve more then so?
Any pictures etc?

I dont really have any pics, but yeah, it's a bolt on. I bought and installed new manifold gaskets even though I didnt really need them at 30K. On the earlier cars, there is a breather outlet or something or other (cruise maybe?) that you have to plug. I didnt discover it until the car wouldn't idle for dogs.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Wrenchin'

whats the deal with the 740 manifold? how much history will I find with a search?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to tsaros
Mein Auto: 540i -6 -99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup
whats the deal with the 740 manifold? how much history will I find with a search?
Not much, thats why i asked

My 540iM -6
E39 M5 OEM Wheels and Cross Spoke Composite II 42 18", CDV Deleted, Eisenmann Race 2x76mm,Rogue Engineering Short Shifter (+WSR), Rogue Engineering Camber plates, Stoptech SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate, Bilstein PSS9, M60 intake. (Sold)

My old 528i Touring -98
H&R+Bilstein Sprint, E39 M5 OEM Wheels 245+275, CDV Deleted, M50 intake manifold, BBTB (Sold 2005-07-15)
Old 07-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
BMW narrowed the intake manifold runners and TB to improve low end tq in the single vanos cars produced for MY 1999. They did the same for dual Vanos in '00 and up. If you have one of these (as I do) all you have to do is find an intake manifold from any 740 or 540 V8 produced from '92 to 09/98 (as I did). Bolts right up and will cost you ab $100-150. (mine was free )
free eh?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:34 AM
It's Beeeemer, damnit!

Send a message via ICQ to dojobi
Mein Auto: 99 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodimusPrime
Come on now BIG Boy try going against a 4th Gen Toyota Supra or better yet a real Skyline or 240SX turned "Silvia" (note: all are inline 6 maybe FI or NA from "Factory") and outcome will be a little bit different and will wish you were still "walking" the G35 w/ the badge and big ole muffler.
I'm not sure if you're referring to the Skyline being a 6, but Silvias are all 4s (some being turbo). You're right though, it would make a huge difference if it had the Japanese engine in the 240SX.

Quote:
Besides, I dont think people should badge a car before they give it beef. Even a $22 Skline GT badge made me wonder if they'd dropped a japanese motor in it. But a few bolt on's and a chip do not a Skyline make. It'd be like me throwing an M5 badge on my car.Agreed!
What's wrong with badging an Infiniti G35 as a Skyline? They're the same car. I understand people getting upset about putting a Lexus badge on a Camry, but this is going the other way. As far as I know the engine is pretty much identical for the Skyline 350GT and Infiniti G35 btw.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojobi
What's wrong with badging an Infiniti G35 as a Skyline?
The problem is, he got beat by a near stock sedan j.p.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:03 AM
It's Beeeemer, damnit!

Quote:
The problem is, he got beat by a near stock sedan j.p.
Yeah, these new Skylines just aren't living up to the name of their predecessors. At least they look and sound nice
Old 07-19-2005, 10:59 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
There's a difference between Skylines and Skyline GTRs

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 07-19-2005, 08:09 PM
It's Beeeemer, damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
There's a difference between Skylines and Skyline GTRs
Quite a difference. That's why you wouldn't badge a G35 as a GTR. A GT badge is cool with me, though, since the car is a GT in the Japanese market.

Here in Aus, we get a lot of Japanese imports like the Toyota Soarer, which people love to badge up as Lexus SC400s.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Quite a difference. That's why you wouldn't badge a G35 as a GTR. A GT badge is cool with me, though, since the car is a GT in the Japanese market.

Here in Aus, we get a lot of Japanese imports like the Toyota Soarer, which people love to badge up as Lexus SC400s.
Yeah... I know... and you guys down under get the cool stuff that isn't stripped of all the goodies before brought over here....

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
It's Beeeemer, damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Yeah... I know... and you guys down under get the cool stuff that isn't stripped of all the goodies before brought over here....
Yeah but our BMWs cost twice as much
Old 07-19-2005, 11:53 PM
The one and only FOOL4E30

Send a message via MSN to Fool4bmw Send a message via Yahoo to Fool4bmw
Mein Auto: 85' 325e & 96' 328i
Cool And now a word from the old skool car...

Blah Blah Blah....great, brag about your victory. Hell, I know I do it a lot. Its no mystery that BMW's out range most car makers. Its easy to say they're in a class all their own. I'm currently the proud owner of 3. All different years. My pride and joy (1985 325e) has been one of the funnest cars I have ever owned. Many, even in the BMW family, that the 325e and the eta motor is a great car, for economy, but not much else. Sure its comfortable, sporty and fun to drive. Many of these things still hold true. But it's not given much credit for its performance. Given, its no M3, or european super car. But it is a bit more powerful than you're average honda or JDM import. Of course the stock numbers for the 325e aren't much to look at. But of course with some work, sometimes less than most put into a honda or a nissan, you can get some respectable power out of the eta motor. I'm one of the few who feel that the eta motor has a lot of potential. So for those who care to brag about their victories against a nissan or a honda, careful what stones you cast, because there will be someone else right behind you who can throw the same stones at you. We're all car enthusiasts. Majority of us are BMW fanatics for life. Lets not be petty, and knock the next guy, effort is effort, no matter what car you have. Lets enjoy the automobile, and support each other. Of course there's always room for competition, thats how technology grows, but lets make it fun, not a heated argument.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah but our BMWs cost twice as much
And the steering wheels come on the wrong side....

j/k

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
Old 07-20-2005, 12:55 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool4bmw
So for those who care to brag about their victories against a nissan or a honda, careful what stones you cast, because there will be someone else right behind you who can throw the same stones at you. We're all car enthusiasts. Majority of us are BMW fanatics for life. Lets not be petty, and knock the next guy, effort is effort, no matter what car you have. Lets enjoy the automobile, and support each other. Of course there's always room for competition, thats how technology grows, but lets make it fun, not a heated argument.

-Mark
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Certified Organic Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SpeedFreak!
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP & 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool4bmw
Blah Blah Blah... ... Lets not be petty, and knock the next guy, effort is effort, no matter what car you have. Lets enjoy the automobile ...

ARE YOU ON CRACK!? WTF are you talking about?

"Road Kill" threads are one of the ALL TIME GREATS and are to be enjoyed, shared, & enjoyed some more... dude... you need to lighten up... sit back... and enjoy the show.

If motor-sport aint you thang... fine by me... I admire your fine looking economy BMW. Glad to see you represent. BUT for freak sake... don't pollute a perfectly good Road Kill thread with whatever the f+ck that was.

Yeah... so I'm a junkie. Isn't that Step One?!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Wrenchin'

I'm getting my chip today mmmm...computer generated 10lbs of torque

other than that, why must dinan parts be SO EXPENSIVE?!?!! warranty or not, how can you pay $599 for a CAI?! it's not even carbon fiber like the ones for the M5!

Last edited by ketchup; 07-20-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I'm getting my chip today mmmm...computer generated 10lbs of torque

other than that, why must dinan parts be SO EXPENSIVE?!?!! warranty or not, how can you pay $599 for a CAI?! it's not even carbon fiber like the ones for the M5!
Why Dinan and not some other? Just curious.

Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
Why Dinan and not some other? Just curious.
It just seems like the right route to go and with their products backed by them, I don't see how anything can go wrong (except for me financially). Besides, it's easier to get dinan stuff, AC on the otherhand seems rare . If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool4Bmw
So for those who care to brag about their victories against a nissan or a honda,
People just don't get it sometimes. This was not a post about BMW vs Nissan or Infinity or any make of any car.. I dont care if he worked hard for his car and mods or if his mommie and daddy gave it to him. I dont have to like, admire, respect or think twice about his car or him personnally. This wasnt even about the guy *in* the car...

This was a post about a five year old SEDAN- with NO badging-

versus

a nearly new (with all that technology of which you speak) COUPE- with a giant wing and a badge.

It'd be like a 325e running against a Yugo with a giant wing and some mufflers. See? THAT'S what makes it fun- for me and some others. If it doesn't for you, fine. I dont ask that you find it fun. But at LEAST understand how to swing a bat before you step up to the plate.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-20-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:41 AM

Quote:
It just seems like the right route to go and with their products backed by them, I don't see how anything can go wrong (except for me financially). Besides, it's easier to get dinan stuff, AC on the otherhand seems rare . If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears
I know Steve (Dinan)... he's a good guy... but there are others. I just thought I would ask. If money were no object... he's the guy... but I was curious if you had done your homework... to see if you had an alternative. I don't think Dinan is a bad choice... you simply need to be ready to stand by your expectation and his claim. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Hey Prop Head... your Road Kill was almost as sweet as that breath taking baby of yours... OK... so the baby is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the road kill... but it sounded great at the time... don't explain yourself... the post was a troll... great story... be proud... and, Thank You!

Last edited by SpeedFreak!; 07-21-2005 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Wrenchin'

Quote:
I know Steve (Dinan)... he's a good guy... but there are others. I just thought I would ask. If money were no object... he's the guy... but I was curious if you had done your homework... to see if you had an alternative. I don't think Dinan is a bad choice... you simply need to be ready to stand by your expectation and his claim. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
software wise, I feel Dinan is the way to go. I don't think I would trust the cheaper ones (I know it's only software). also if I were to pick the dinan CAI (when i'm crazy enough to pay $600 for a intake), i'd only pay the difference for the stage 2 software ($100). Now something like a supercharger system is debatable. I don't think $16k is worth it, you can get yourself one from VF for $6k ($10k difference! ) and the performance numbers are the same but the dinan system might be better for your motor since VF is a fairly new company. IMO of course.

Edit:
more chips!
http://www.powerchipgroup.com/intera...sp?pid=Bmw0044

16hp/19tq gains for $640 (based on 93 octane+)
$40 per hp lol

dinan lists (probably based on 91)
9hp/11tq -$599
$66/hp

hmmmmmm..

Last edited by ketchup; 07-21-2005 at 02:12 PM.