Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 07-18-2005, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Problem finally solved......ARGH!!!

Well my long ordeal is finally over. My front end has finally stopped vibrating and shaking my steering wheel. This all started when I bought new tires.....and then replaced them with a different brand because they shook so bad. Then had those rebalanced 3 times!!!, and finally had those tires replaced for excessive road force.....and then rebalanced the new ones again!
Well, finally had enough and went to the local BMW dealer who promptly found my right front rim and right rear rim swapped!
As you can imagine, I immediately took the receipt to the yo-yo's who screwed it up and they refunded me as well as ordered me two new front tires..........again.
One day I imagine it will all be over, but at least I'm finally feeling confident it's really going to happen.

The tire guys (original) tried to tell me that there was no problem swapping the rims (sport package 330i).....wasn't a safety issue at all stretching the tire over a bigger rim. Well I'd have to dissagree with that....the car was absolutely crap at anything over 85 mph and downright scary at 100. After the rim swap it's back to it's old self at speed....perfect!
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2005, 05:13 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I guess I don't understand, you have a staggered setup and they had the bigger rims on the front?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Euro Delivery
in a sports package the fron 2 wheels are a different size than the rear ones.
if you rotate the wheels then you are having a differnet size wheel on the same axil.....

Where did you take your car ? Tijuana? The moron who did your wheels should have known.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
I guess I don't understand, you have a staggered setup and they had the bigger rims on the front?
That is what I was thinking as well.

If that is the case, it probably would drive like a pig.

Old 07-18-2005, 05:49 AM
Spelling Impaired

Mein Auto: '10 Mazda3 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
That is what I was thinking as well.

If that is the case, it probably would drive like a pig.

I would have thought it would have been plainly obvious that a wider wheel was on the front compared to the rear. The aspect ratio on the tires is different with the wider wheel on what...a 40 series tire vs the 45 series as well. I would have thought a post-install inspection of the original tire mounting would have revealed the error
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
It sounds like they went with the skinnier and taller front tire 225/45-17 all around. What should go on the rears are a wider and lower the sidewall 245/40-17 tire.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply...
Yes, sport pkg. 330i, wider rims in the rear. 225/45/17 front tire, 245/40/17 rear tire. I did have the correct sizes where they belonged, but the wrong rims on the right side of the car. They swapped them front to back the very first time I got new tires...(Kumho Ecstas)...so 2 more sets of tires later and numerous balancings did no good to correct a rim misplacement!
I did notice that the 'rim protector' looked odd on the front right tire, but I never imagined that it was because it was sitting on a rear rim. I just never thought they would make that mistake, so instead I blamed the tires (which were never the real problem)
Just looking at the car it's really not that easy to tell IMO, but you damn well can feel it driving.
A chain 'discount' tire company (hint hint) did the work all 6 times and counting, except for the trip to BMW for corrective maintenance.
I even sat and watched them road force the front tires, which came out good numbers...but as soon as I drove on it for a week the tire probably streched it's belts and went to ****. Assuming the wrong rim numbers were plugged into the Hunter balancer machine, it would have never been right anyway. Road force went from 14 to 29 lbs.
Anyway, the tire company has been good about refunding me $ spent, and getting me new rubber each time. Maybe they learned something, I sure did!

Last edited by Prov431; 07-21-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:55 AM
O Genki Desu ka?

Send a message via AIM to ljh824
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
From the title of your post I thought this thread was pirate related. ARGH!!!!

Sorry, it's Friday and I'm being goofy.

"We few, we happy few, we Band of Brothers,
for he today who sheds his blood with me,
shall be my brother"...Shakespeare, Henry V
Old 07-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
What I'd like to know is how in the h*ll they got an 8 1/2" rim with a 51mm offset on the front of your car without using a spacer. It didn't rub on the strut? Must be the tire profile that kept it from doing so then because swapping rear/front wheels on a sport package car is supposedly not possible without spacers up front. Anyway, glad it got straightened out for you.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:19 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

As "were sorry" gesture, the above mentioned tire company has offered to purchace me 2 new front BMW 'M" rims. (mine had some scuffs on them)
Gotta admit, they actually stood by their product and service the whole time.
Kudos.