Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
i lost my key!!!!!

how much does it cost to get a new key? i heard it's like $150... is that true?
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by moji2000
For a new master key, yes.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
You have to get the key from BMW because of the anti-theft chip inside the key.

The bad news is its expensive and takes a few weeks (all new keys come from Germany - even if you had your key, the local dealer can't just copy it).

The car is stuck where it is for those few weeks, so look very hard for the original key because it's a major PITA.

The good news is that when you get your key, you can initialize the key and drive away. No lock cylinders to change and no going to the dealer (other than to pick up the key).

My keys dissappeared when the car was at the cottage - a two hour drive away from the nearest dealer. I was actually quite happy to find that they could cut and code a new key for me without having the original. Otherwise I would have had to pay a fortune in towing and/ or new lock cylinders.

Last edited by rtw_travel; 07-18-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
lost key

I had to order a second key last week. It was 131 and some change from the dealer. You have to pay for it when you order it and the BMWCCA discounts do not apply to this as it is considered an accessory.

Good thing is the key comes the next day and takes about 2 minutes for the service guy to program it.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWiz
Good thing is the key comes the next day.
Wow - another case where BMW Canada and BMW US differ. I had to wait about two weeks for my replacement key. Mind you, I lost my key a few years ago, so maybe things have improved
Old 07-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel
Wow - another case where BMW Canada and BMW US differ. I had to wait about two weeks for my replacement key. Mind you, I lost my key a few years ago, so maybe things have improved
I think it's improved. I don't remember how many years ago it was, but I think any extra keys actually had to be ordered from Germany. That couldn't be the case anymore because I ordered an extra master a few months ago and I think I picked it up 2 business days later so they must have some way to have them made on this side of the pond now. I was guessing maybe they come from the U.S production facility in South Carolina now but I really don't know.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335
My wife lost her key to my car. She put it on a shelf but then knocked it off into the recylcing bin (it is now probably part of some aluminum can somewhere). Anyway, this wasn't a huge problem until the shop locked my key in the car for a weekend pick up (I had assumed I would just use her key to open it and retrieve the car). I was not happy when I couldn't find hers and realized it was long gone. Then, I discovered that BMW Roadside will *not* open a 540 because of potential damage to the locking mechanism and alarm system. The local BMW dealer said 48 hours to get a new key and I needed the registration (proof of ownership) to order it (locked in the car of course). The cost was about $125 and they did offer the NCC discount. So, there I was, no key, no registration, no way to get into the car to get either. Perfect.

There is a happy ending (sort of). The shop actually hadn't locked the key in so while I was waiting for the flatbed, I checked the door, opened it, and got the key. I wasn't sure if I should be glad the door was open or irritated that the shop hadn't locked it. I ended up ordering a valet key for about $25 and hiding it a long way away from the recyling bin.

The moral of the story is order a valet key along with the new main key and hide the valet key away somewhere. That way, you'll be able to open a locked car and drive your car during the time it takes to get a new one (be it a couple of days or a couple of weeks).
Old 07-21-2005, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 00 E39
You should have four keys with your E39, two electronic keys that can remotely open the car. One valet key and one master (skeleton) key.

All of the keys can be ordered, I had to order the Valet and the master key, only cost me $60.

the valet and master key open and start the car. I keep them in my BMW wallet at home, ideal if I lock myself out!!

Just my 2 cents.

2008 535D M Sport, Azurite Black with Light Cream leather and Piano Black trim. Almost all options.

2008 X6 35d, Vermillion Red with Oyster leather with light wood trim. Dynamic pack with most options.

Retired

2006 Z4 M Roadster, Imola Red with Black interior. Fully loaded.

2005 X5 Sport, Estoril Blue with Black leather. Fully loaded.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
If I "lost" one of my 2 keys, my first fear would be about someone stealing my car.

Unless I lost it in a way that it could not ever be found, i.e., flushed it down the toilet, dropped overboard, or something.

Stealing the key to then steal the car is a problem here in north eastern Europe.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: 00 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
If I "lost" one of my 2 keys, my first fear would be about someone stealing my car.

Unless I lost it in a way that it could not ever be found, i.e., flushed it down the toilet, dropped overboard, or something.

Stealing the key to then steal the car is a problem here in north eastern Europe.

Key stealing is becoming a BIG problem in the UK, there is an increasing number of incidents were thieves break in to the house to steal the keys for your car.

It is very simply to have the keys deprogrammed from the cars memory, if you lose one of your electronic keys the dealer can deactivate it.

When I buy a car, one of the first things I do is get all extra keys deactivated, and only the keys I got with the car will open it. Thats just me being paranoid though!

2008 535D M Sport, Azurite Black with Light Cream leather and Piano Black trim. Almost all options.

2008 X6 35d, Vermillion Red with Oyster leather with light wood trim. Dynamic pack with most options.

Retired

2006 Z4 M Roadster, Imola Red with Black interior. Fully loaded.

2005 X5 Sport, Estoril Blue with Black leather. Fully loaded.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Thumbs up

It cost about 200 for a new key. If you locked your keys in the car in the SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA I have a great contact for you to call (626) 241-4588

My friend locked all of her keys in her new 2007 X5! and she left important documents and purse in the trunk. She needed it right away. We had to call all the dealers near us and they all said they cannot open it and we have to order a new key which can take a week! THE KEY COST$200!

We needed the stuff out right away. so after hours of search. we found from a friend a person that can open the car without damage. IT WAS GREAT! it took nearly 20 min. NO damange to the Brand new car. We paid him 200 dollars for the great work! NOt many peopel can open the car because the new BMWS have a double lock system. So if you're in desperate need and do not want to do damage to the car call that number!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
L C B

Mein Auto: 1998 528i sport, DOB 5/28
sorry to hear you lost your keys.

Did anyone else double check their key's whereabouts when reading this thread? I did. lol
Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540I
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
sorry to hear you lost your keys.

Did anyone else double check their key's whereabouts when reading this thread? I did. lol
The last time I check I still have 3 keys. If I am down to 2 keys, I may order a new key just in case.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
I think it's improved. I don't remember how many years ago it was, but I think any extra keys actually had to be ordered from Germany. That couldn't be the case anymore because I ordered an extra master a few months ago and I think I picked it up 2 business days later so they must have some way to have them made on this side of the pond now. I was guessing maybe they come from the U.S production facility in South Carolina now but I really don't know.

Replacement keys are cut at the BMW headquarters in NJ. That is what the dealer parts counter guy told me.

Yes, the BMW CCA discount does not apply to this "accessory" item
Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8080 View Post
You should have four keys with your E39, two electronic keys that can remotely open the car. One valet key and one master (skeleton) key.

All of the keys can be ordered, I had to order the Valet and the master key, only cost me $60.

the valet and master key open and start the car. I keep them in my BMW wallet at home, ideal if I lock myself out!!

Just my 2 cents.
There is also a emergency wallet key. One that is made of plastic that you can tuck into your wallet. Is that the master skeleton key you refer to?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
Improved by 3 days maybe? Ordered mine on a saturday and got it on a waednesday a week and a half later. That was last october (2007 so there's no confusion). And the price around 230 bux CDN
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by moji2000 View Post
So did you find it alreay or are you still looking?

mw
Old 10-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Silver 840Ci
So I have a 1996 840Ci and I recently lost my key...long story...and I need a replacement or a solution short of actually finding the key, before November 1

What dealerships are good to contact for a key? We have Ganley BMW and they are catagorically the WORST dealership in the country.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Unfortunately, I think you are at the mercy of your local dealer as ALL BMW dealers are required to see proof ownership (registration) and driver's license BEFORE placing an order for your key. I do not know of any dealer who will allow you to order a key over the phone. So unless there is another dealer besides Ganley you have no choice. However, keep it mind this is a key not a repair to your car so how BAD can the parts department be?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Unfortunately, I think you are at the mercy of your local dealer as ALL BMW dealers are required to see proof ownership (registration) and driver's license BEFORE placing an order for your key. I do not know of any dealer who will allow you to order a key over the phone. So unless there is another dealer besides Ganley you have no choice. However, keep it mind this is a key not a repair to your car so how BAD can the parts department be?
Hey Gene,

Is this your car and your garage? How far from NYC are you? I am coming to visit.

mw
Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Anyone replace their 2001+ master key lately?
Price?

Thanks!
Jason
Old 07-10-2011, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530, 02 540, 07 525
$150 and it only took two days to get it. Dealer programmed it too at no additional cost.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be eaten by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemporarySanity View Post
$150 and it only took two days to get it. Dealer programmed it too at no additional cost.
That's still a LOT of money for just a key IMO.
Ridiculous amount of money IMO...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: -02 530 & -92 325is
~$70 for the valet key a couple of months ago is a bit more reasonable.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
That's still a LOT of money for just a key IMO.
Ridiculous amount of money IMO...
Because it's not "just a key" I can't imagine they are particularly cheap to produce one by one and ship around the world.

It's not the same as cutting a key for your house at the local locksmith.