Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-19-2005, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i sport
Cool Automobile Magazine Comparision of e90, G35, CTS in August issue

I read the previous thread of Road and Track review of E90 where there were a lot of unimpressed posts and even a few praising the G35 over E90.

Just got a chance to scan all the car magazines last week @ Barnes and Nobles and came across the comparision of the E90, G35 and cadillac CTS in Automobile Magazine. And the winner is ................
the E90. G35 has the best bargain, best 0-60 in 5.8s, but E90 has the most rewarding driving experience, the best lap times on the race track (although straight line 0-60 in 6.1s). Cadillac is getting better but still needs a lot of improvement. Damn! when can our American cars beat these imports?

Anyway, in the end it all comes down to what matters to you: handling, styling, prestige and power. Magazine reviews are helpful but could be subjective.

Last edited by 1st time bimmer; 07-19-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I have not driven the CTS so I cannot speak about its driving characteristics but I recently finally sat inside one and man is that thing @#*@&( ugly.

I mean, I am one of the people who sorta likes the exterior design on the new Caddies but the inside of that CTS, wow. I wouldn't pay a cent to sit in that cockpit.

Anyway, good to hear confirmation of what we already knew. The E90 is still king of the road. Or its class anyway
Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time bimmer
I read the previous thread of Road and Track review of E90 where there were a lot of unimpressed posts and even a few praising the G35 over E90.

Just got a chance to scan all the car magazines last week @ Barnes and Nobles and came across the comparision of the E90, G35 and cadillac CTS in Automobile Magazine. And the winner is ................
the E90. G35 has the best bargain, best 0-60 in 5.8s, but E90 has the most rewarding driving experience, the best lap times on the race track (although straight line 0-60 in 6.1s). Cadillac is getting better but still needs a lot of improvement. Damn! when can our American cars beat these imports?

Anyway, in the end it all comes down to what matters to you: handling, styling, prestige and power. Magazine reviews are helpful but could be subjective.
Very nice to hear our E90 is proving itself against some good competition!

I agree the interior of the CTS is just overall poor (you can tell it's american)

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Old 07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen52
I have not driven the CTS so I cannot speak about its driving characteristics but I recently finally sat inside one and man is that thing @#*@&( ugly.

I mean, I am one of the people who sorta likes the exterior design on the new Caddies but the inside of that CTS, wow. I wouldn't pay a cent to sit in that cockpit.

Anyway, good to hear confirmation of what we already knew. The E90 is still king of the road. Or its class anyway
Drive it. It's good for a laugh. The CTS thing swoops and dives in corners like your typical american car. That GM expects to compete with foreign cars in this class is hilarious.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I browed this issue while at the mall the other day. Good results overall for the E90.

Funny remark that stuck in my mind is that they called the E90's turn signal lever "idiotic". I think these reviewers feel that they have to say edgy things here and there and with such strong authority to give the impression of confidence and competence.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I browed this issue while at the mall the other day. Good results overall for the E90.

Funny remark that stuck in my mind is that they called the E90's turn signal lever "idiotic". I think these reviewers feel that they have to say edgy things here and there and with such strong authority to give the impression of confidence and competence.
I noticed the same about the turn signal... kind of outside of the review scope. Personally I like the new turn signal operation, specially the single tap for three blinks to change lanes.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:49 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
And now time for a different opinion...

I still find it very dissappointing that a brand new top of the line 3 series is slower than a G35 in a straight line, despite a weight advantage. And it's also slower (or no faster than) a V6 Accord .

I too find the new turn signal idiotic: of all the things BMW could have improved on the E90, the turn signal must be dead-last. How about 50 more HP??? How about an LSD??? How about a cloth interior option? How about a DSG-style auto, instead of the Steptronic?

I mean, you have to get used to the styling, you have to get used to the turn signal, to the iDrive, it's no faster than my car (ZHP, at least by BMW numbers) - if not for the supposedly upcoming 335 turbo or the 4 door M3, I would see no reason to buy one over my current car (other than maybe age at some point).

There used to be a time when BMW would simply CRUSH the competition in such a comparison test - magazines used to say why don't they just clone the 3 series and be done with it?! But no more, I guess...

adc, getting off the soapbox
03 330 ZHP
Old 07-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
I too find the new turn signal idiotic: of all the things BMW could have improved on the E90, the turn signal must be dead-last. How about 50 more HP??? How about an LSD???
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
And now time for a different opinion...

I still find it very dissappointing that a brand new top of the line 3 series is slower than a G35 in a straight line, despite a weight advantage. And it's also slower (or no faster than) a V6 Accord .

I too find the new turn signal idiotic: of all the things BMW could have improved on the E90, the turn signal must be dead-last. How about 50 more HP??? How about an LSD??? How about a cloth interior option? How about a DSG-style auto, instead of the Steptronic?

I mean, you have to get used to the styling, you have to get used to the turn signal, to the iDrive, it's no faster than my car (ZHP, at least by BMW numbers) - if not for the supposedly upcoming 335 turbo or the 4 door M3, I would see no reason to buy one over my current car (other than maybe age at some point).

There used to be a time when BMW would simply CRUSH the competition in such a comparison test - magazines used to say why don't they just clone the 3 series and be done with it?! But no more, I guess...

adc, getting off the soapbox
03 330 ZHP
That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. I figure, to stay within the BMW fold, I'll have to upgrade to the upcomming 4 door M3 (provided that car actually materializes, and I can afford it when the time comes).

It sounds like the new 3 still has the edge over the competition in the driving "feel", but many are going to be swayed by more power and questionably comparable handling.

When I bought my car, I was very tempted by the G35 sedan. Since then Nissan/Infiniti has upgraded the interior and the power or the G35. If were buying today I'm not sure which car I would choose....
Old 07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
BMW addict!

Mein Auto: 06 330i & 07 CLS 63 AMG
I gathered from the magazine article:

1. If you have the $$$ go for the E90 330i. It is subjective if you feel that the extra $$$ is justified.

2. The infiniti is the best bang for the buck and best based on numbers alone, not including subjective items.

3. CTS is a few generations behind.

My 2 cents:

I have the $$$ so I went with what felt better. The 330i. Its heritage, styling, brand appreciation, and above all my gut, tells me what i like. What I chose is the E90 330i.
SP, PP, Xenon, 19", RCP, TiAg/Blk. Faultless.
Other German: 2007 M-B CLS 63 ///AMG Build: 09/06
P2, Elec. Trunk Closer, Distronic, Parktronic, Bluetooth adapter, Alcantara Anthracite Headliner, Chrome Door Handle Protectors, Wheel Locks, Iridium Silver/Blk Nappa
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp
That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. I figure, to stay within the BMW fold, I'll have to upgrade to the upcomming 4 door M3 (provided that car actually materializes, and I can afford it when the time comes).

It sounds like the new 3 still has the edge over the competition in the driving "feel", but many are going to be swayed by more power and questionably comparable handling.

When I bought my car, I was very tempted by the G35 sedan. Since then Nissan/Infiniti has upgraded the interior and the power or the G35. If were buying today I'm not sure which car I would choose....
i've pretty much decided I'll hold off on the e90 until an M3 sedan comes around. So in 06 when I return my 330i I'll probably pick up a used G35 or get a miata or something that I can drive for a few years until the M3 comes to fruition.

The e90 is nice but I can't fathom dropping 35-40k on it if it's not a mindblowing experience.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Porsche 987
Great points indeed. Extra $$$ yes. Resale $$, try getting the extra bang for your buck reselling that G35! I do not even want to meet the person in the market for a preowned CTS! We all know what happens when you get a bargain, and more importantly settle for something just on price. Just my 3 cents worth.

Last edited by NJ3er; 07-19-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '06 330i-(SOLD) '00 323Ci
Many of these comments sound like the responses of little spoiled brats.
A mind-blowing experience???? You forget that the previous car was already a mind-blowing experience and the new one is only an improvement, if nothing else.

All of the competition mentioned thus far are still clones, wannabes, etc. They are the ones that need to offer some type of 'mind-blowing' change if they want my business. Costing less is about the ONLY thing they have going for them.....and even that is out-weighed by the resale issue.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
A mind-blowing experience???? You forget that the previous car was already a mind-blowing experience and the new one is only an improvement, if nothing else.

All of the competition mentioned thus far are still clones, wannabes, etc. They are the ones that need to offer some type of 'mind-blowing' change if they want my business. Costing less is about the ONLY thing they have going for them.....and even that is out-weighed by the resale issue.
Dude, BMW is all about NOT providing the mind blowing experience. Don't make me laugh.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 07-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Dude, BMW is all about NOT providing the mind blowing experience. Don't make me laugh.
Dude, I think we might be thinking about a different definition of "mind-blowing".
If I was after the "mind-blowing" that you're talking about I would just wait for the next M3 or Mustang Cobra.

In terms of the cars that are being discussed here well, the mags have compared & contrasted the E46 against them already several times and you could easily site tests where they pretty much said it was an awesome experience, if not mind-blowing, with only 225 hp. I am only saying that I highly DOUBT that the E90 is less of that car.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Actually, the zhp I currently own is not a mind blowing experience. It's fun. But it's not grin-like-an-idiot fun. The e90 is not a big jump over the e46. In fact in some tests our generic ZHPs still put the power down better and offer a louder, more visceral driving experience.

Quote:
How is the G35 outweighed by resale?

G35 outfitted with all the essentials I wanted in 2003 had an msrp of about 33k - dealer was willing to sell for 30k.

My 330i with leather, zhp, xenons, moon, metallic had an msrp of 43k and I got it for 40k.

My ZHP with 30k miles is worth 28k private party (and that's optimistic). 15k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 12k.
G35 sames miles = 23k. 10k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 7k

Yeah...I see how the 330i's resale is so good. lol
Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I noticed a 6 speed G35 sedan w/ premium package, costs only $31k now. That's cheaper than an equivalent 325i.

What I can't believe about the CTS is the pricing - it's not a bargain at all, except now there's the employee discount. But I guess it sells well.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90
What I can't believe about the CTS is the pricing - it's not a bargain at all, except now there's the employee discount. But I guess it sells well.
I don't know about that--I can't recall seeing any for months...
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech
*retired
Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom
Actually, the zhp I currently own is not a mind blowing experience. It's fun. But it's not grin-like-an-idiot fun. The e90 is not a big jump over the e46. In fact in some tests our generic ZHPs still put the power down better and offer a louder, more visceral driving experience.

How is the G35 outweighed by resale?

G35 outfitted with all the essentials I wanted in 2003 had an msrp of about 33k - dealer was willing to sell for 30k.

My 330i with leather, zhp, xenons, moon, metallic had an msrp of 43k and I got it for 40k.

My ZHP with 30k miles is worth 28k private party (and that's optimistic). 15k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 12k.
G35 sames miles = 23k. 10k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 7k

Yeah...I see how the 330i's resale is so good. lol
With all due respect to the ZHP, that $4K extra is what you're losing. The regular 330 wouldn't get hit as hard.

Used car values are by far a regional thing, which is something you also have to keep in mind. In the right spot, a 330 could fetch way more than its trade-in based on brand name alone. I'm not too sure about the G35.

Last edited by RichReg; 07-19-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
With all due respect to the ZHP, that $4K extra is what you're losing. The regular 330 wouldn't get hit as hard.

Used car values are by far a regional thing, which is something you also have to keep in mind. In the right spot, a 330 could fetch way more than its trade-in based on brand name alone. I'm not too sure about the G35.
I was checking private party resale...not trade in values. Trade in value on both those is even scarier.

Yeah it is regional as 3 series cars here are as common as silicone and collagen. regardless, from what I've seen 3s suffer massive depreciation the first two years.

As for your 4k comment, that's totally bogus. The package was about 1300 more than getting sport package and 18s.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:12 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90
I noticed a 6 speed G35 sedan w/ premium package, costs only $31k now. That's cheaper than an equivalent 325i.

Yeah for that price it'd be nearly impossible for me to justify getting a 325i.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
This is the Cubs year)

Mein Auto: camel
How about a cloth interior option?

Are you joking? Why not just sew some old dustrags together and save even more money!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom
I was checking private party resale...not trade in values. Trade in value on both those is even scarier.

Yeah it is regional as 3 series cars here are as common as silicone and collagen. regardless, from what I've seen 3s suffer massive depreciation the first two years.

As for your 4k comment, that's totally bogus. The package was about 1300 more than getting sport package and 18s.
Sports package (like I just fell for on my E90), also gets very little back. All I'm saying is that options like these don't return as much back as do the standard car. So if it cost you $3000 or $4000 its still an option that doesn't return much back at resale time.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
How about 50 more HP??? How about an LSD??? How about a cloth interior option?
Cloth? Now who's had too much LSD?

Why is it no one has pointed out the fact that the G35's interior is about as cheap-looking and ugly as the inside of a CTS?

Yeah, the G35 has a bigger engine, it's good in a straight-line. But linear motion is not much fun, and that's why the BMW shines in the twisties.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: soon BMW 325i SB
My impressions on e90

I just got back from my European Delivery and saw this thread. I thought e90's handling was too good. I drove the car on country roads and I can never get old doing that. The way it handled those 180 degree steep turn while going up and down the hill was too damn good. I cant imagine doing that with a japenese cars perhaps thats why they dont drive that many japenese cars in europe. As a matter of fact, I didnt see even one Infiniti on the road (dont know if they make them there or not).

Although, e90 torque may not be as good as leading competitors but they keep them coming in low rpm whereas I have heard g35 picks up after 3000 rpm. If you are driving enthusiast you would know what that means.

Besides, all these new safety features and latest gizmo's in e90 makes it so good, its unbelievable not too like it. I test drove g35 for half an hour and for me, it wasnt good comparison with the e90.

As for those power hungry folks(not that there is anything wrong with it), you should also consider the mustang, which has lots (and lots of them end up in the ditch too).

peace