Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 330i-(SOLD) '00 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhigogna
As for those power hungry folks(not that there is anything wrong with it), you should also consider the mustang, which has lots (and lots of them end up in the ditch too).

peace
Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i sport
Quote:
As for those power hungry folks(not that there is anything wrong with it), you should also consider the mustang, which has lots (and lots of them end up in the ditch too).

peace
I remember a quote somewhere that more hp in G35 and other engines are obtained through the old way: more cubes. the E90 got more hp through hi tech: the new Valtronic variable valve lift which is a step beyond the variable valve timing (which e90 also has as VANOS), the 3 stage induction, and the electric water pump. Most other cars have only variable valve timing. All this results in better fuel efficiency for the E90. That's why you get cheaper price/hp with other cars especially with the Mustangs

Last edited by 1st time bimmer; 07-19-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Cloth? Now who's had too much LSD?
But linear motion is not much fun, and that's why the BMW shines in the twisties.
If you had sampled the cloth/Alcantara interior in a ZHP, you would know without the slightest doubt what it does for that twisties action.

It's the most comfortable (winter and summer) and the most track-friendly. Heck, I'd pay $1000 to be able to get it in my next car...

adc
03 330 ZHP
Old 07-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:

peace
Do you tell M3 buyers this too? "If you want power, go get a mustang."
Old 07-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
You could buy several Mustangs for one M3.

I tried one out (Mustang) and it was sicko fun, but I think I would get bored with all that noise all the time.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Le fabuleux destin

Mein Auto: F30 328i x two
I think the indicating stork is idiotic.

I want to be able to feel what position it is in (up or down or off) without having to look down at the light or turn down the music. After 3 months with an e90, I still find myself leaving in the indicator on like an old jack ass driving a Caddy. Never did that in the e46.

I agree with the review that other than the irritating b-pillar rattle, this is the thing I don't like the most about the car.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blax
I think the indicating stork is idiotic.

I want to be able to feel what position it is in (up or down or off) without having to look down at the light or turn down the music. After 3 months with an e90, I still find myself leaving in the indicator on like an old jack ass driving a Caddy. Never did that in the e46.

I agree with the review that other than the irritating b-pillar rattle, this is the thing I don't like the most about the car.
I suppose this turn signal indicator is a thing of preference. I was thinking today while on the interstate how much I am liking the turn signal stalk. Not just for changing lanes, but also in around town driving.
psyran
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I think the so-called driving "feel" is VERY important. It's a simple word that sums up so much about a car. If I was into drag-racing, I might be swayed by the straight line time comparisons. In reality, I can't imagine any real driver who tests these three cars and can afford the E90 to choose any of the others over it.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
I think the so-called driving "feel" is VERY important. It's a simple word that sums up so much about a car. If I was into drag-racing, I might be swayed by the straight line time comparisons. In reality, I can't imagine any real driver who tests these three cars and can afford the E90 to choose any of the others over it.

at this point if someone put a gun to my head in may of 06 and said pick from the G35, IS350 and E90 330i, I'd opt for an 03 G35. What? yep, pick one up CPO for 22-23k according to paper ads and drive it for 3 years before getting an m3.

the e90 is nice and handles great but I know I'll want an m3 sedan so there's no sense buying a new e90 330i i will loathe the moment the sedan version arrives.

why not a cpo 3 series e46? I can't imagine owning an older bmw even with a warranty. they're not reliable enough. my e46 330i just doesn't strike me as a well made car.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom
... the excuses for the lack of straight line performance of this E90 are getting to the point of denial.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i sp/prem/manual
BMW Ultimate drive: similar comparo - there really IS none

The G35 is quicker driving in a straight line, but sometimes you need to turn, and when you do in the G35 you'll be greated by rather unpredictable oversteer, a softer suspension that wallows some, and overall a far less precise experience.

The Audi A4 quattro is a more worthy competitor, but suffers from front-drive bias.

In the twisties, there just IS no comparison, and that's why we drive BMWs.

I agree with others that sometimes BMW messes with things that don't need fixing, such as the turn signal stalk. I pick up my car in 5-7 days, and I'm expecting a learning curve, but I'm also expecting to spend most of my time learning the pleasures of taking the car through the curves on the road!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: soon BMW 325i SB
Quote:
If you read the post it says "consider" not "go get".
M3 is a different class range and no, I dont tell m3 buyers to consider mustang.

M3 is designed to handle the speed. So, you are not missing on the handling part.

Handling is the most important part of driving IMO. I used to drive an accord v6 with 240 hp. It does not even come close to e90 in terms of handling. e90, although with less power 215 hp, is a lot faster because of the sweet torque at low rpm. So, hp does not account for better performance all the time. You have to look at the entire package.

But hey, if you like mustang, go get one. Just make sure to take it slow around the curves.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
... the excuses for the lack of straight line performance of this E90 are getting to the point of denial.
Not really... seriously, how much of your driving consists of or depends on maximum straight-line performance? I think it's a minute percentage, unless you're buying the car explicitly for drag-racing. For something that is such a small part of the whole experience to be off by a few .1 seconds while the rest of the experience is considerably above the rest makes the choice VERY easy.

Would it be nice if we smoked them with our E90's, yes, I'll take that too if it were available.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 330i SP/PP/CWP TiAg/terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Dude, BMW is all about NOT providing the mind blowing experience. Don't make me laugh.
Huh?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, the zhp I currently own is not a mind blowing experience. It's fun. But it's not grin-like-an-idiot fun. The e90 is not a big jump over the e46. In fact in some tests our generic ZHPs still put the power down better and offer a louder, more visceral driving experience.

How is the G35 outweighed by resale?

G35 outfitted with all the essentials I wanted in 2003 had an msrp of about 33k - dealer was willing to sell for 30k.

My 330i with leather, zhp, xenons, moon, metallic had an msrp of 43k and I got it for 40k.

My ZHP with 30k miles is worth 28k private party (and that's optimistic). 15k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 12k.
G35 sames miles = 23k. 10k loss in value in 2 years. real loss = 7k

Yeah...I see how the 330i's resale is so good. lol
BlueGuy I think you should try the Ultimate Driving Experience if one comes near your town. BMW gives participants the opportunity to drive the E90 and the G35 near their respective handling limits on a closed course. I attended the recent one here in Chicago and I swear to you, I was prepaired to be impressed by the G35, thinking it a worthy competitor to the 330i, but it was simply not so. The G35 leans into a corner like a Caddy and unless it's moving in a straight line, the chasis doesn't seem to know what to do with itself. Drive these cars one after the other--hard--and under ideal conditions (closed course) and you will be left with little doubt as to the superiority of the 330i.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Straight line running is fun...for a while, but I like turn'in while I'm burn'in--always.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman2
BlueGuy I think you should try the Ultimate Driving Experience if one comes near your town. BMW gives participants the opportunity to drive the E90 and the G35 near their respective handling limits on a closed course. I attended the recent one here in Chicago and I swear to you, I was prepaired to be impressed by the G35, thinking it a worthy competitor to the 330i, but it was simply not so. The G35 leans into a corner like a Caddy and unless it's moving in a straight line, the chasis doesn't seem to know what to do with itself. Drive these cars one after the other--hard--and under ideal conditions (closed course) and you will be left with little doubt as to the superiority of the 330i.
Now THAT is a direct comparison! Who needs a magazine to tell them anything???

Using a 0-60 time to judge a car's overall performance is like weighing Offensive Lineman from college and thinking the heaviest guy will be the strongest, most athletic Lineman when he gets to the NFL! It just ain't so, fellas !

Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Former ZHP pilot

Mein Auto: 2011 135i M Sport
My 0.02

I just read the article this afternoon at a supermarket and as i expected the E90 took first place as it should. Yeah its not the fastest in a straight line or the cheapest but it does what a BMW should and it had the fastest lap on the track. BMW hasnt lost their touch with the E90 but the competition is getting much better at a much faster rate. Personally i plan to purchase an E90 as soon as some kind of ZHP option becomes avaliable, i like the current car but it seems a little too refined(which isnt a bad thing). Bottom line the E90 remains the benchmark in sport sedans and the ulitmate choice for driving aficinados.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Titanium Silver
Some comments on E90 vs G35...
I considered both. In fact, as an IBM employee, I get automatic 3% off the invoice price of G35. I also noticed the extra power. However, I settled for the E90 because there are some things in BMW that an Infiniti just will not be able to replace.
First of all I have heard that under the "luxurious" shell of G35 is the same old Maxima. Nissan basically put a different exterior and interior seating on a V6 Maxima to make the G35. Secondly, as a Nissan vehicle, the handling of the G35 just does not compare to the E90. Try making a U turn on a 2 lane road! Nissans have horrible turning radius...
The bottom line is, it's not only power that matters. In fact, I think most BMW vehicles nowadays do not quite match up cars in similar class, notably the Japanese luxury brands. Power is not the only indication of a good car, the suspension, handling, and comfort are more important factors to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I need LSD!

Mein Auto: '06 330i
Quote:
Given a powerful automatic car (eg. Mustang GT), even a monkey can mash the gas pedal and beat the e90 330 in a straight line with his eyes closed and one hand tied behind his back.

But once in a while we do have to turn... that's where the e90 330 handling shines.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuchen
Some comments on E90 vs G35...
I considered both. In fact, as an IBM employee, I get automatic 3% off the invoice price of G35. I also noticed the extra power. However, I settled for the E90 because there are some things in BMW that an Infiniti just will not be able to replace.
First of all I have heard that under the "luxurious" shell of G35 is the same old Maxima. Nissan basically put a different exterior and interior seating on a V6 Maxima to make the G35. Secondly, as a Nissan vehicle, the handling of the G35 just does not compare to the E90. Try making a U turn on a 2 lane road! Nissans have horrible turning radius...
The bottom line is, it's not only power that matters. In fact, I think most BMW vehicles nowadays do not quite match up cars in similar class, notably the Japanese luxury brands. Power is not the only indication of a good car, the suspension, handling, and comfort are more important factors to me.
Not quite-- the G35 does share the V6 w/ the Maxima (and just about every other car Nissan produces nowadays), but they are completely different platforms. THe maxima is FWD and the G35 is RWD. Besides, their interiors and exteriors are completely different. That being said, I would never buy a G35 simply because I find the interior (despite the upgrades) to be tacky and cheap. It would piss me off every time I sat in it. Out of the cars tested for this comparison, I'd have to choose an e90 by default; the CTS exterior and interior also don't do it for me. I swear, if Honda could just build something like the TL or TSX on a RWD platform, that would be awesome.
If I had to buy a new car today I'd probably get an e90 or a 4 cylinder HOnda Accord (go figure).
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
If you had sampled the cloth/Alcantara interior in a ZHP, you would know without the slightest doubt what it does for that twisties action.
Sorry, I misunderstood the cloth part, I was thinking of an all-cloth interior, not the cloth/leather combination. I did see an e46 so dressed-up inside, it wasn't bad but I didn't like the look of the cloth on the center part of the seats.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Deburn

Mein Auto: 325xi
I like it too. btw I had it on my 2002 A4...

Quote:
I noticed the same about the turn signal... kind of outside of the review scope. Personally I like the new turn signal operation, specially the single tap for three blinks to change lanes.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Deburn

Mein Auto: 325xi
I completely agree with Wolf359 and Abhigogna.
Whats the fun in driving straight line? IMO any idiot can make (or drive for that matter) a car that's got powerful acceleration. It takes a lot more to make and drive a fast car through twisties. Also, where in the US can you use all that power without worrying about a ticket?

The power throough the spectrum is another thing I need to have. If I have to wait till 3000 rpm to "start" driving, I mean forget about it.

I'm not as much an expert as some people on this forum are but I like driving through the twisties, I dont have a ton of money, but if I couldnt drive a BMW my second choice wouldnt be an Infiniti.

getting off my soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Cloth? Now who's had too much LSD?

Why is it no one has pointed out the fact that the G35's interior is about as cheap-looking and ugly as the inside of a CTS?

Yeah, the G35 has a bigger engine, it's good in a straight-line. But linear motion is not much fun, and that's why the BMW shines in the twisties.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
Not really... seriously, how much of your driving consists of or depends on maximum straight-line performance? I think it's a minute percentage, unless you're buying the car explicitly for drag-racing. For something that is such a small part of the whole experience to be off by a few .1 seconds while the rest of the experience is considerably above the rest makes the choice VERY easy.

Would it be nice if we smoked them with our E90's, yes, I'll take that too if it were available.
I got you...

The problem that I have with this E90 straight line performance is that for the price it should be at least a better performer than the E46 ZHP, which is not. Yes, that was a Performance Package trim but then this car is only around 100 pounds heavier with 20 more horses and about the same torque at 750 rpm less. It is just marginally faster than a regular E46 330i, while everybody else is in the segment are putting more power on the ground.

The " but it handles better than anything else" quality is a given, the sucker is a BMW for God's sake. I was also in the Ultimate Drive and sure, the E90 was the supreme handler among the A4 and the G35, again that was a no brainer. But the power was dissapointing (it was a Steptronic, though).

When you factor the $6000-$10000 more than other cars in the Sport Sedan segment I personally want everything. And probably adding $5000 more to really smoke the competition when the proposed 335ti Turbo comes seems to me like a stupid move, IMO. The current E90 should be doing that, right now not for even more money. Of course, the 335ti -or whatever nomenclature it will be- will be the highest performing sedan in its class, for maybe some $11-15,000 more than everybody else it has to be...