Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 330i
Why so few posts by new E90 owners?

Please post your driving impressions, especially after a month or two of ownership.

Also, what car are you coming from?

Thanks

Last edited by dynosor; 07-20-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
My TARDIS is a BMW

Mein Auto: '02 325i
Could be that they are just having too much fun driving their new toys to come back inside and surf the 'Fest

Old 07-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I'm drunk and just had a girl over so excuse me if I'm erroneous.

I've had an e90 325 for a month. Base model. no options except for power seats and steptronic(yes its my first bimmer)

What got me hooked on bimmers was renting a 2005 325i e46 when i wrecked my car.

the e90 is much more powerful with comparable handling (keep in mind this is without sport package)

I'm very happy with my purchase but it depends on what is most important to you in a car. If raw HP is what you want, you can get much more for less money. If raw handling is what you want and you have no price ceiling, then get the 330i fully loaded. For an overall car that has good power, good handling, and all inclusive maintenance, I'm very happy with my e90 325i
Old 07-20-2005, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 300i
330i .. one month later

I am one of the few who discovered bimmerfest and e90post AFTER getting the car. Most of my research was done on the internet.

I have no complaints about my 330i, Monaco Blue, Terra leather, PP, heated seats after about 2000 miles.

1) Handles just great and is smooooooth. Can't find excuses to drive this car.
2) NO noise from the seat belt etc as some folks have reported.
3) As good a mileage ( 24.7 - 25.4) as my previous car, albeit with premium fuel.
4) Bluetooth connectivity is the coolest feature.
5) No frills CD player is slightly dissappointing.
6) Audio on/off is still from console. Maybe they should have a button on the wheel for that too.

What I would have done differently if I had listened to people in this forum:

1) Definitely got iDrive. ( The voice command is awesome. Don't see myself using Nav though)
2) Should have waited for comfort access.
3) Probably got rear sunshades.

Haven't washed the car yet. Perhaps this weekend. Still researching on products and procedures.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Well, I'm just getting to the end of the break-in period. I drive in heavy traffic so I haven't had a chance to wind it up yet. But I've had it a few weeks now and still love it everytime I get in.
I've been fortunate enough to not have the issues that some folks here have mentioned. I really have no complaints...I love it!

ok...ok, one minor gripe...the arm rest on the driver's side seems to feel a bit cheap, like I can press on it and it squeaks. The other gripe I have, is that I wish I got a manual. But being that I am no expert shifter, the step should be fine.

I'm so crazy though I'm already thinking of what to get when my lease is up. It's probably going to be an 05' m3, unless there is an affordable e90 with SMG or DSG by then.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
omg... this car is addictive. I am currently resisting the urge to sit in it... just to look at fit and finish... just gorgeous.

the drive home was more about watching to see no one got to close to me, but tomorrow may be different...

they have shrunk the glovebox to the point it no longer holds the owners manual... .good thing there's that spare tire compartment....

back to the garage...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1

they have shrunk the glovebox to the point it no longer holds the owners manual... .good thing there's that spare tire compartment....
Yeah, I forgot about that. Thing's so small I can barely fit my small CD carrier in it. Wtf?!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit
Yeah, I forgot about that. Thing's so small I can barely fit my small CD carrier in it. Wtf?!

yeah... but the center console keeps the ipod cool!!!

Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex72

I've had an e90 325 for a month. Base model. no options except for power seats and steptronic(yes its my first bimmer)

What got me hooked on bimmers was renting a 2005 325i e46 when i wrecked my car.

the e90 is much more powerful with comparable handling (keep in mind this is without sport package)

I'm very happy with my purchase but it depends on what is most important to you in a car. If raw HP is what you want, you can get much more for less money. If raw handling is what you want and you have no price ceiling, then get the 330i fully loaded. For an overall car that has good power, good handling, and all inclusive maintenance, I'm very happy with my e90 325i
Try AA and protection.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i, 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor
Please post your driving impressions, especially after a month or two of ownership.

Thanks
I've had my Arctic 330i w/ SP and PP for nine weeks (Wow, time flies when you're havin fun). Initially had some buyers remorse. But, I really love this car. Seems it has really loosened up now that break in is over. Shifting is smooth (throws a little longer than I thought they would be) and power is more than adequate. Don't have I-drive, but recently linked Bluetooth and it is great, particularly with the voice activation capacity. Great fun to drive. Gas mileage only about 20.5 around town, but may reflect driving habits. Coming from a 1998 740iL.
psyran
Old 07-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcar
I am one of the few who discovered bimmerfest and e90post AFTER getting the car. Most of my research was done on the internet.

I have no complaints about my 330i, Monaco Blue, Terra leather, PP, heated seats after about 2000 miles.

1) Handles just great and is smooooooth. Can't find excuses to drive this car.
2) NO noise from the seat belt etc as some folks have reported.
3) As good a mileage ( 24.7 - 25.4) as my previous car, albeit with premium fuel.
4) Bluetooth connectivity is the coolest feature.
5) No frills CD player is slightly dissappointing.
6) Audio on/off is still from console. Maybe they should have a button on the wheel for that too.

What I would have done differently if I had listened to people in this forum:

1) Definitely got iDrive. ( The voice command is awesome. Don't see myself using Nav though)
2) Should have waited for comfort access.
3) Probably got rear sunshades.

Haven't washed the car yet. Perhaps this weekend. Still researching on products and procedures.

Lets see some pics of that terra leather!!!!!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 330i SP/PP/CWP TiAg/terra
I picked mine up on the 18th and I've been so busy between work and school (part-time) as well as family obligations (two kids under 5), that I've barely had time to read the owner's manual ( yep, mine's in the trunk too). First impressions:

1. Very impressed with the fit and finish, no rattles or squeeks from the seat belt assembly or center armrest that others complained about.

2. Did notice that the steering is slightly less communicative at highway speeds than on my E39, not to a large degree though and certainly not enough to detract from its handling prowess. Many also complained about the grabbiness of the brakes but, oddly enough, I don't feel it.

3. Power delivery is immediate and I'm constantly watching the tach and speedo to stay within the break in limits.

4. The only issue right now is the fact that its been 15 years since I drove a manual on a regular basis--and it shows. Slowly but surely I expect my reflexes to return and then (after the break in of course) I can truely engage with this machine.

I ordered TiAg w/terra/burl and it is a stunning combo. I know a million people have posted pics of silver E90s but I've yet to see anyone with my combo so I'll post some as soon as I get the time (and figure out how). My other options are SP, PP, CWP, Sirius, and Power rear sun shade. I'm having fun!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: desk chair
I've had mine since early May and after 5700+ miles on the car,

1. I can't imagine myself driving another Volvo again (1999 S80 2.9 with loads of engine and oil problems).
2. Learned to block out the seatbelt ticking noise.
3. The glove is used for cigarette storage. Manual's in the trunk.
4. Regret not getting I-Drive. But I do love the bluetooth. It connects with the Verizon Treo 650 albeit with only the Favorites stored as phone book entries.
5. I love the fact that I can burn mp3s on a CD and just pop it in the car.
6. I have no idea why the AC recirculation button of all things is on the steering wheel. It's never been used.
7. 325i has more than enough power for my daily 405 rush hour commute. I'm so glad that I decided to tint the windows.
8. I can't live without the pull-out thigh rests on the sport seats. I don't know I drove without them.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
"Driving" impression for 325i 6spd sport pkg for 2 months with only 2100km...
Pos:
- Corner grip is excellent! And the seat holds me there.
- Panels position are good especially for heel and toe.
- Steering is still felt precise.
- Thick steering wheel is very nice.
- You can feel it is faster than E46 325.
- The mid-range torque is very good.
- The power is still coming at 170km/h.

Cons:
- You can feel it is heavier than E46.
- It is less communicative than E46 as the same degree as E46 was less communicative than E36.
- More bummpy than E46 with sport pkg (because of run-flat?).
- DSC is still interrupted too early if you don't turn it off.

Others:
- Gear box is just average.

This is my 1st time to write a review. These are my own opinions and you might feel different for sure.

Last edited by ic; 07-21-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:00 AM

Impressions

These are the kind of impressions I am looking for; thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic
"Driving" impression for 325i 6spd sport pkg for 2 months with only 2100km...
Pos:
- Corner grip is excellent! And the seat holds me there.
- Panels position are good especially for heel and toe.
- Steering is still felt precise.
- Thick steering wheel is very nice.
- You can feel it is faster than E46 325.
- The mid-range torque is very good.
- The power is still coming at 170km/h.

Cons:
- You can feel it is heavier than E46.
- It is less communicative than E46 as the same degree as E46 was less communicative than E36.
- More bummpy than E46 with sport pkg (because of run-flat?).
- DSC is still interrupted too early if you don't turn it off.

Others:
- Gear box is just average.

This is my 1st time to write a review. These are my own opinions and you might feel different for sure.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
... because it's near perfect
Old 07-21-2005, 08:59 PM

I was hoping for more owners with glowing impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosor

Thanks

Where is the passion?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 2012 550 OTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by operknockity
Could be that they are just having too much fun driving their new toys to come back inside and surf the 'Fest

Yep,,,
Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 AM
No shirt-No shoes-No dice

Mein Auto: '06 330i
I've had my 330i for a week now and as others have mentioned, the bells & whistles are very cool and fun to play with. I've come to appreciate the clean look of the dash with idrive, and have found the idrive menu pretty easy to use. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I don't quite understand the nit-picking I've read about this issue.

As for the passion... My former car was an extremely reliable, yet boring and uninspired daily commuter of a '99 Honda Accord. Even with a perky little motor, the auto trans left much to be desired, and I won't even talk about body roll in corners... Hey, it wasn't a sports car to begin with.

As for the passion...Driving the E90 for just a week now has been nothing short of a religious experience. I can't believe what I've been missing all these years. Even with my novice stick-shifting skills, the car communicates with me, inspires confidence, and seems to offer suggestions on how to drive better. Coming from a boring car, I'm in the process of relearning how to approach corners, lane changing & passing, etc... What a car!

I haven't experienced any of the seat-belt ticking issues either, and other than finding 1st & 2nd gear a tad notchy, this car has given me lots to look forward to. From everything I've read, the notchiness is probably just the clutch breaking in anyway. While still in the break-in stage, my revs have been kept under 4k as suggested, and acceleration is still brisk. I can't wait to see what redlining will do...

I don't know what qualifies as passionate, but I've never looked forward to driving as much as I do now.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 AM

More passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsquared

I don't know what qualifies as passionate, but I've never looked forward to driving as much as I do now.
Excellent! More about driving and less about bells and whistles.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
E90 325i

Mein Auto: E90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortex72
So you get more chicks w/ the new E90???
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 PM
E90 325i

Mein Auto: E90 325i
By the way, me E90 is now on the water for Charleston, SC, on the Undine, due in mid August. I will speak more when I actually have the car!!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Break-in period was finished this week. Red-lined it once, the sound is way more authoritative than in my 2000 323i (This engine sounds more angry). When you floor it the revs go up real fast (And that's with a 325i, 330i is even more crazy).

Didn't lose any oil yet, and figured out that with iDrive you have to go up-left to get out of a sub-menu (Not just up, which is a contradiction with moving only down to lower menus). Goes real well.

Today for the first time I switched the auto transmission from normal to sport. Really like how the car just begs you to have more fun with it. It does downshift during braking and is more willing to accelerate (Not wondering if you want to go economic or have fun). Showed it to a customer today, he has a C230 Coupe and wants a 3-Series now.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i SG with Blk Int
I have an E90 330i with leatherette and Sport Package and nothing else. I am nearly at 3,000 miles now. Car is at the dealer getting a fog light issue fixed and alarm activated. I have an E46 loaner car right now (325i Auto). I like my car so much more than the E46. The E46 is fun and all, and is easier to drive around (being auto and a smaller feeling car).

Having the E46 has showed me what I really like about my E90. I had a Jetta before, and had the opportunity to buy an E46 but I waited because I didn't think the price difference was worth it to me at the time. Since my Jetta was paid for, it was not worth it to me to buy a new car that was designed at basically the same time as my Jetta. Plus I didn't make nearly what I make now 4 years ago.

So, with the E90, that has changed, and I got rid of the Jetta and moved up to the BMW. The E90 feels bigger, handles better (obviously being a 330i with 18s and sport package explains this) and has a nicer interior than the E46. The E46 ZSP with Alcantara was very tempting, but I test drove one and was not really that impressed overall for that kind of money. I was impressed enough with the E90 to finally buy.

I find myself taking the long way home, and have taken the car out several weekends to drive Big Sur, and other challenging local roads just for the fun of it. When you go on an 8 hour drive with the wife just for the fun of it, you know that you made the right car choice!!

If you are on the fence, drive this car. My sales rep let me take one out by myself and I really got to put the car through it's paces. Honestly, that's what sold me, because it is only at the limit that the BMW really impressed me more than the A3, A4 or S4 Audi. If I had to drive it with the salesperson in the car, I would probably not have been sold on it.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:39 PM

Emotion not Estationary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i

I find myself taking the long way home, and have taken the car out several weekends to drive Big Sur, and other challenging local roads just for the fun of it. When you go on an 8 hour drive with the wife just for the fun of it, you know that you made the right car choice!!
It is this kind of talk that encourages test drives. More please...