Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
NEW DSC features....

Not sure I like all the new DSC features that I read about last night. I wonder if they all can be bypassed.....

1. keeps your car from rolling foward or backward on a slight incline (when stopped at a traffic light for instance and sitting there in neutral)

2. When you let off the gas quickly it "pretenses" the brakes because you are most likely going to slam them on next.

3. When your windshield wipers are on, it tenses the brakes every so often to dry them so they are always dry....man these pads are not gonna last 20K miles!!!!!!

4. If you hit the brake suddenly it automatically applies full brake force to help you stop quicker

Anyone experience these yet???

Advertisement
Old 07-20-2005, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z
Not sure I like all the new DSC features that I read about last night. I wonder if they all can be bypassed.....

1. keeps your car from rolling foward or backward on a slight incline (when stopped at a traffic light for instance and sitting there in neutral)

2. When you let off the gas quickly it "pretenses" the brakes because you are most likely going to slam them on next.

3. When your windshield wipers are on, it tenses the brakes every so often to dry them so they are always dry....man these pads are not gonna last 20K miles!!!!!!

4. If you hit the brake suddenly it automatically applies full brake force to help you stop quicker

1. It will roll if you're in neutral.
2. Not sure why you want to bypass this feature?
3. I'm a bit worry too. Not sure how often the brakes are dried. I know it is based on rain senor, but still don't know how often...
4. I engaged ABS several times on a dry road for hard braking and chaning from gas to brake quickly and hard, but the brake feel is linear.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Nothing specific

Mein Auto: 03 325Ci 5spd SP
Quote:
As I understand it, this will not contribute to brake wear. The brakes are not applied, the pads are merely brought close enough to the rotors to sling off the film of water. No friction against the rotor -> no wear.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i MB E350 BlueTec
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys
As I understand it, this will not contribute to brake wear. The brakes are not applied, the pads are merely brought close enough to the rotors to sling off the film of water. No friction against the rotor -> no wear.
pads are free! Free maintenance 4 yrs/50K
Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
The braking of this car in the rain is surreal

I"ve noticed the brake applying on an incline and its a neat feature but doesnt really do much if you have steptronic.. I imagine it would be great for stickshifters tho
Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
my pads went at 56K miles.......and ran a grand for the whole job....

Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Just some guy

Mein Auto: e90 330 6mt zsp
I live in the pacific northwest ... rain blah blah. Because the roads stay wet for a long time, there's a lot of spray that gets kicked up. After driving at freeway speeds for 2-3min the next brake application has to burn off the water on the rotor and that's not a comforting feeling. When you put your foot into the brake and there's no brake for 2-3 seconds, it's not fun. Especially in a panic stop.

So I welcome the drying feature. Pads are cheap, and they're easy enough to change yourself. That doesn't bother me a bit.

On a test drive I did some panic stops to see if I could sense any of the other stuff ... felt completely natural to me.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
I plan to find a hilll after I pick mine up today....

but on my test drive I didn't really feel any resistance to rolling with the clutch in....
Old 07-20-2005, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW 330i, 95 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by obmd1
I plan to find a hilll after I pick mine up today....

but on my test drive I didn't really feel any resistance to rolling with the clutch in....
remember this only works with the car in gear, foot on brake and at a full stop.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to itznin
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Quote:
my pads went at 56K miles.......and ran a grand for the whole job....
Comments like that make the 6 year/100k miles maintenance upgrade worth it, don't you think?

04' Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Blue
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Honda S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin
Comments like that make the 6 year/100k miles maintenance upgrade worth it, don't you think?
I'm not so sure about that... see this post:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103876
Old 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalys
Arent pads always in slight contact with the rotor?

Photobucket
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I've driven my car 3400 miles and experienced the effects of all these features and they are just great! The car's braking is phenomenal and hill-assist with manual transmission is very useful and never gets in the way. I don't know why you would want to disable this (sight unseen too). Don't you want to disable ABS too?

Old 07-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
I live in the pacific northwest ... rain blah blah. Because the roads stay wet for a long time, there's a lot of spray that gets kicked up. After driving at freeway speeds for 2-3min the next brake application has to burn off the water on the rotor and that's not a comforting feeling. When you put your foot into the brake and there's no brake for 2-3 seconds, it's not fun. Especially in a panic stop.

So I welcome the drying feature. Pads are cheap, and they're easy enough to change yourself. That doesn't bother me a bit.

On a test drive I did some panic stops to see if I could sense any of the other stuff ... felt completely natural to me.
Having lived in the northwest for a few years and now in MN where we get a lot of severe thundersotrms, I agree. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

Kirkland, eh? I hope you shope at costco.

Why the hell did I spell shop with an e?

Last edited by the_s_rabbit; 07-20-2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: huh?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:42 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
so after playing in the driveway and reading the manual......

(in that order)

the hill assist is active for 2-3 seconds after taking your foot off the brake..and once you let the clutch out it's gone, and you can rock all you like. We'll see what it's like at work in the garage (larger incline) tomorrow...

I'm hoping it doesn't rain for a while, but I'll let ya know about that too....
Old 07-22-2005, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: Anything with Wheels!
You know what's irritating...the soft-stop feature!

On my car, it drives me absolutely nuts! You're coming to a stop...the car will stop, jerk forward a couple of inches, and stop again! I'm not kidding! I brought it to the attention of my dealer and he said it's the soft-stop feature at work. It suppose to release the rear caliper pressure as you are coming to a stop, but I guess something is wrong with my car. I posted this problem on roadfly and apparently someone from BMWNA e-mailed me and said they are flying in a Regional Rep to my dealer here in Hawaii (BMW of Honolulu) and is going to call me to have a road test.

-Chris
Old 07-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
You know what's irritating...the soft-stop feature!

On my car, it drives me absolutely nuts! You're coming to a stop...the car will stop, jerk forward a couple of inches, and stop again! I'm not kidding!
I test drove a 325i and it was pretty much the same thing. Quite irritating plus you think the car will stop in X distance but since it releases then reapplies, you actually stop in X+1. Stupid if you ask me. Who gives a sh1t about a soft stop? I want the car to stop when and how I tell it to, not how the computer thinks the car should stop.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
I test drove a 325i and it was pretty much the same thing. Quite irritating plus you think the car will stop in X distance but since it releases then reapplies, you actually stop in X+1. Stupid if you ask me. Who gives a sh1t about a soft stop? I want the car to stop when and how I tell it to, not how the computer thinks the car should stop.
I think these are defects. My car doesn't do this and it always stops predictably, even when it uses soft stop (which is not always the case).

Old 07-23-2005, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioK
I couldn't agree with you more! Finally, someone who understands me.

You know what's even more upsetting, it does nothing to stop the car any smoother than any other automatic car I've previously driven. You hit the brakes with continuous pressure and not let up to smoothen out the stop, the car will still jerk like any other automatic car.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:06 AM

Quote:

This feature drives me NUTS too!!!

I experienced this trying to parallel part on a steep incline tonight...I shift into R and I take my foot off the brake, car holds brake to prevent car from rolling. Car doesn't normally roll back as in any other automatic car, but I have to blip the gas to release the hill hold feature. The car jerks, and sends the car backwards a lot faster than I'd like it to. What do I have to do, I have to hold the brake with my left foot and blip the throttle with my right, just to get it out of hill-hold smoothly. If not, I'm sent flying backwards trying to parallel park on this hill.

On my 745Li, you can turn the feature off. Why couldn't they make these features with an on-off switch!!!

So lame...BMW I asked for brakes! Not some nanny to drive for me. I can see how this feature is a godsend on the stick cars, but on an automatic!!! If you need hill-hold on an automatic car, you've got problems and shouldn't be driving in the first place!!!
Old 07-23-2005, 08:51 AM
No shirt-No shoes-No dice

Mein Auto: '06 330i
I didn't realize they had the hill assist on automatics too... I thought it was just sticks, where it is handy. For autos it is kinda lame.

It only stays on for 2 seconds, though... rather than blipping the throttle, just wait a couple of secs and you'll roll normally...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
I can see how this feature is a godsend on the stick cars, but on an automatic!!! If you need hill-hold on an automatic car, you've got problems and shouldn't be driving in the first place!!!
You can defeat hill assist by putting it in neutral as is the case with a manual.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObD
You can defeat hill assist by putting it in neutral as is the case with a manual.
Yes, I know that, but what I don't think that is a solution to the problem. Once you put the car back into gear, the hill-hold in still going to be there. Its that delay and then the jerk that drives me nuts.

Comm'on BMW, if I have to put it in N, do you think that is a reasonable solution? Reminds me of that guy in Pimp My Ride with the Corolla who didn't have a reverse gear.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:36 PM

I don't understand the use of hill assist with auto transmissions. It almost seems that BMW didn't do much testing with the auto transmission combined with all the other features First the jerk with soft stop and now this. I know that some high end cars have the hill-hold type feature but this implementation doesn't seem to be smart enough to smoothly disengage with auto transmissions.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Just some guy

Mein Auto: e90 330 6mt zsp
I can't wait, 5 years from now all the German makers are going to abandon all the computer controlled gizmos and spin it as a 'return to their heritage'. Seriously, they're all going through a major japanese gizmo fetish phase right now.