Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Is there a DIY for fixing a broken sunroof shade?

My sunroof shade has jumped the tracks, or one of the clips broke, or something. I was able to monkey around with it a little bit and was able to get it to slide closed, but as soon as the sunroof is opened or tilted the shade gets out of alignment again.

I haven't had a chance to look at it real close yet, but this is one of those stupid things that I would rather fix myself rather than taking it to the dealer, provided it's not too complex. I figured I'd ask here before I start tearing out the headliner and really screw things up!

Does the shade just pop out of the tracks or does something actually break? If something actually breaks I'll just take it into the dealer. But if it's just popping out I would hope it could be fixed with minimal effort.

I know there are many threads that talk about the cheap clips that hold the sunroof shade in it's tracks, and how they get screwed up if you look at it the wrong way... But I am unable to find a guide that tells how to fix it. Does everyone just let the dealer fix this while the car is under warranty, and then after the warranty expires do they just rip the shade out, or what?
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Here is a link to an "off-campus" DIY... Good luck!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...66&postcount=8
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM

Thanks Salvator,

From that link, it looks like the clips actually break and don't just pop out of the tracks. Since that involves replacement parts I'll just take it to the dealer for repairs, at least until the warranty runs out.

Does anyone know if this problem is caused by insufficient lubrication of the mechanism, or are the clips poorly designed and just not sturdy enough? I'm wondering, because if the clips are just to weak maybe they could be replaced with ones made from a stronger material. Does such a part exist?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
My shade jumped the tracks once. I found the best way to fix it was the "shaking, hitting, and pushing in all directions" method. Eventually it found its way back
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Brand
My shade jumped the tracks once. I found the best way to fix it was the "shaking, hitting, and pushing in all directions" method. Eventually it found its way back
Hey, that's promising! One vote for "it just jumped the tracks", and a nice high tech repair method too, gotta like that.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp
Does anyone know if this problem is caused by insufficient lubrication of the mechanism, or are the clips poorly designed and just not sturdy enough?
I NEVER use my slide (really!) and yet it broke... it was maybe moved a handful of times by the dealer (WTF? Why are they always closing my sunroof slide ... it's a conspiracy to break it, I tell you! ) Anyway, like other things on the car (door trim comes to mind ) they don't appear to be designed to handle the heat that North America generates... my guess is that the plastic breaks down in the heat / sun, and eventually cracks and fails... it's definitely not a usage issue in my case...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM

My car sits out side during the day while I'm at work, so I use the sunroof tilt feature nearly every day to vent the hot air out of the cabin. Subsequently, the shade gets moved nearly every day. When I'm driving the car, during the heat of the day, I keep the shade closed to block the sun.

Through this site, I was made aware that there are potential problems with the shade, so I have been very careful. Before it broke, I was never rough with it. I actually handled it pretty gingerly, making sure to only put back to front pressure on it. ie, no vertical or lateral pressure. I guess the everyday use, combined with the sun exposure, was just too much for the plastic clips.

Maybe I should get the glass of the sunroof tinted darker so I don't have to keep closing the shade?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Quote:
Maybe I should get the glass of the sunroof tinted darker so I don't have to keep closing the shade?
I've heard of people throwing 35% tint up there... in combo with the existing tint, I think it brings it down to about 5%... probably wouldn't cost much (less than one slider repair... )
Old 07-21-2005, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 92e31 01e46 06e90 08e85
Quote:
Since that involves replacement parts I'll just take it to the dealer for repairs, at least until the warranty runs out.
Are you under the original factory warranty, or a CPO? The reason I ask: Two separate dealers told me that the clips would be covered under the original factory warranty, but NOT under the CPO (which I have). If it's motor-related, then that would be covered under either warranty. Mine turned out to be the clips, and I paid for it out of pocket (I seem to recall about $100) when I initially purchased the car from the PO and had the PPI done. Perhaps other dealers are less stringent, and would cover the clips under a CPO. Mine won't cover a window regulator replacement under the CPO either, but did at least "goodwill" me at half the total cost ($80).
Mike
Old 07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Oh yeah, she's my baby...

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
My sunroof shade has jumped the tracks, or one of the clips broke, or something. I was able to monkey around with it a little bit and was able to get it to slide closed, but as soon as the sunroof is opened or tilted the shade gets out of alignment again.

I haven't had a chance to look at it real close yet, but this is one of those stupid things that I would rather fix myself rather than taking it to the dealer, provided it's not too complex. I figured I'd ask here before I start tearing out the headliner and really screw things up!

Does the shade just pop out of the tracks or does something actually break? If something actually breaks I'll just take it into the dealer. But if it's just popping out I would hope it could be fixed with minimal effort.

I know there are many threads that talk about the cheap clips that hold the sunroof shade in it's tracks, and how they get screwed up if you look at it the wrong way... But I am unable to find a guide that tells how to fix it. Does everyone just let the dealer fix this while the car is under warranty, and then after the warranty expires do they just rip the shade out, or what?
I've had mine fixed twice. That aparatus is quite definitely a POS. Apparently the second time they had some improved parts. I said yeah, whatever. Mine was broken for a few months before I took the car in. I waited until I had a list of things so it would make it worth my while. I'd say to take it back to the dealer, if the clips broke you'd probably have to go and get the parts anyway .

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Old 07-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo
Are you under the original factory warranty, or a CPO?
Still under the original factory warranty, so I shouldn't have to go through the same hassle you received. It's a shame that the CPO program isn't closer to the original warranty, but I suppose that would be asking for a bit much.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apar330i
I've had mine fixed twice. That aparatus is quite definitely a POS. Apparently the second time they had some improved parts. I said yeah, whatever. Mine was broken for a few months before I took the car in. I waited until I had a list of things so it would make it worth my while. I'd say to take it back to the dealer, if the clips broke you'd probably have to go and get the parts anyway .
Yeah, that's the plan. It's not like it's a problem that effects the performance or drivability of the car. It's just a little annoying. It certainly doesn't diminsh the amount of fun I have while driving. How long have your "improved parts" lasted?