Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2005, 06:44 PM
bmw540i's Avatar
bmw540i bmw540i is offline
Technik Stg 1
Location: C.A. - T.X.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 361
Mein Auto: 01 - M62
Performance Intake Manifold

Hi guys, I have a 2001 M62 6speed and I know that earlier year M62's had better intake manifolds and some 740s. Can anyone tell me witch year was the best and what exactly do I need to buy. Is the intake manifold cover the only one or is there a Throttle body involved. Thanks for your reply
__________________
Technik ECU I Technik sways I Gruppe M I RD exhaust I O.Z. SP III I UUC evo II I


Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-22-2005, 08:05 PM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw540i
Hi guys, I have a 2001 M62 6speed and I know that earlier year M62's had better intake manifolds and some 740s. Can anyone tell me witch year was the best and what exactly do I need to buy. Is the intake manifold cover the only one or is there a Throttle body involved. Thanks for your reply
You could also buy a throttle body, but it's not necessary with an intake manifold. The intake manifold can be from any 4.0 or 4.4 liter V8 from '92 up to '99. You'll have to plug a few vacuum holes (for older cruise control, I think) when you install it depending on the year, but it bolts right up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 PM
chivas's Avatar
chivas chivas is offline
You Lick It, You Own It
Location: Under The Bridge
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 14,424
Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
You could also buy a throttle body, but it's not necessary with an intake manifold. The intake manifold can be from any 4.0 or 4.4 liter V8 from '92 up to '99. You'll have to plug a few vacuum holes (for older cruise control, I think) when you install it depending on the year, but it bolts right up.
thought it was only up to 98's since 99's had Vanos and the runners became more restrictive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Steve D Steve D is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 243
Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6sp
I have considered changing the manifold on my 2000 540 to a pre vanos type but I wonder what the drawbacks might be. Why would BMW restrict the air flow with vanos? Perhaps the higher air flow causes driveability problems?

Has anyone tried this?

Steve D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2005, 07:59 AM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D
I have considered changing the manifold on my 2000 540 to a pre vanos type but I wonder what the drawbacks might be. Why would BMW restrict the air flow with vanos? Perhaps the higher air flow causes driveability problems?

Has anyone tried this?

Steve D
I've had a '95(I think) 740 intake manifold on my car for about two years now. Why did BMW do it? 0-60 times and low end tourqe suffered after VANOS was added. Restrict a lil airflow and they're right where the consumer wants. Buuut, as with most automotive compromises, you give one place, you take another. High end power suffers with restricted airflow both in and out- especially in the nether regions of sustained airflow. Also known as high speed runs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2005, 08:01 AM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas
thought it was only up to 98's since 99's had Vanos and the runners became more restrictive.
I am always confused. Didn't '99s have single VANOS? I cant remember if they narrowed them then or in 2000 with double VANOS?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2005, 08:29 AM
rtw_travel rtw_travel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: '98 540i/6
Here is my understanding:

For the 540's. 97& 98 have no VANOS. Single VANOS started in '99 (and I think continued through '03)

All M5's have double VANOS.

For I-6, 97& 98 have single VANOS. Double VANOS started in '99 (and I think continued through '03).

"Single" varies intake camshaft timing. "Double" varies both intake and exhaust.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2005, 11:21 AM
bmw540i's Avatar
bmw540i bmw540i is offline
Technik Stg 1
Location: C.A. - T.X.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 361
Mein Auto: 01 - M62
What is the intake manifold made out of... Can I polish it for better performance. Thanks guys
__________________
Technik ECU I Technik sways I Gruppe M I RD exhaust I O.Z. SP III I UUC evo II I


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2005, 02:03 PM
tsaros tsaros is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sweden
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to tsaros
Mein Auto: 540i -6 -99
It time to sort things out regarding the Vanos issue
No E39 V8 car except for the M5 has dual Vanos.
Cars built from 96 up to 08.98 has no Vanos at all.
Cars built after 09.98 up to the end of production all have single Vanos.

I know that there is a BMW broschure that says otherwise but that is a missprint.
__________________
e60 535d -08 mostly stock for now.

My 540iM -6
E39 M5 OEM Wheels and Cross Spoke Composite II 42 18", CDV Deleted, Eisenmann Race 2x76mm,Rogue Engineering Short Shifter (+WSR), Rogue Engineering Camber plates, Stoptech SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate, Bilstein PSS9, M60 intake. (Sold)

My old 528i Touring -98
H&R+Bilstein Sprint, E39 M5 OEM Wheels 245+275, CDV Deleted, M50 intake manifold, BBTB (Sold 2005-07-15)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2005, 03:50 PM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaros
It time to sort things out regarding the Vanos issue
No E39 V8 car except for the M5 has dual Vanos.
Cars built from 96 up to 08.98 has no Vanos at all.
Cars built after 09.98 up to the end of production all have single Vanos.

I know that there is a BMW broschure that says otherwise but that is a missprint.
Ohhh yeah.. I think Beewang may have set us straight on that once before. Thanks for the reminder!

The intake manifold is plastic.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2005, 04:16 PM
tsaros tsaros is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sweden
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to tsaros
Mein Auto: 540i -6 -99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
Ohhh yeah.. I think Beewang may have set us straight on that once before. Thanks for the reminder!

The intake manifold is plastic.
Now thats the first bow i have ever gotten, to bad i dident deserve it

Regarding the intake manifold, is it from a M60 engine or a non vanos M62?
__________________
e60 535d -08 mostly stock for now.

My 540iM -6
E39 M5 OEM Wheels and Cross Spoke Composite II 42 18", CDV Deleted, Eisenmann Race 2x76mm,Rogue Engineering Short Shifter (+WSR), Rogue Engineering Camber plates, Stoptech SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate, Bilstein PSS9, M60 intake. (Sold)

My old 528i Touring -98
H&R+Bilstein Sprint, E39 M5 OEM Wheels 245+275, CDV Deleted, M50 intake manifold, BBTB (Sold 2005-07-15)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-23-2005, 08:52 PM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaros
Now thats the first bow i have ever gotten, to bad i dident deserve it

Regarding the intake manifold, is it from a M60 engine or a non vanos M62?
Mine is from a '95 either 540 or 740. I forget which. And you deserved the bow.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2005, 05:32 PM
tsaros tsaros is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sweden
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to tsaros
Mein Auto: 540i -6 -99
Any DIYs somewhere or do you have pictures of what to plug and not to plug?
Im a mechanical carrot so any help would be appriciated very much
__________________
e60 535d -08 mostly stock for now.

My 540iM -6
E39 M5 OEM Wheels and Cross Spoke Composite II 42 18", CDV Deleted, Eisenmann Race 2x76mm,Rogue Engineering Short Shifter (+WSR), Rogue Engineering Camber plates, Stoptech SS Brake lines, Axxis Ultimate, Bilstein PSS9, M60 intake. (Sold)

My old 528i Touring -98
H&R+Bilstein Sprint, E39 M5 OEM Wheels 245+275, CDV Deleted, M50 intake manifold, BBTB (Sold 2005-07-15)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2005, 08:06 PM
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 10,139
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaros
Any DIYs somewhere or do you have pictures of what to plug and not to plug?
Im a mechanical carrot so any help would be appriciated very much
I didnt take any pics, but install is very straightforward. Just remove A and replace with B. You might have one small opening that doesnt fit with any fitting on the VANOS car (and you've run out) and that'll be the one to plug. We didnt find it till the car wouldn't idle for anything. Started snooping and voila!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intake Manifold AlexE46 E46 (1999 - 2006) 0 01-31-2005 03:17 PM
3er Performance Package Announcement RealM3 Ask-A-Dealer 0 01-26-2004 07:57 AM
325i performance in Germany? chrischeung European Delivery 2 03-24-2003 04:55 AM
What bits of the 330i Performance Package are "worth it" to you? OBS3SSION 3 Series / 4 Series 30 03-09-2003 07:59 AM
A Renaissance for the American performance car? JST Off-Topic 3 02-20-2002 11:10 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms