USB Glovebox killer - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)

E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by a naturaly aspirated inline 6 in the 128 or the turbo twin power inline 6 rocket sled 135.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 120i
USB Glovebox killer

I have a 2012 120i shipped from Japan to the East Coast. I need to update the system to the US radio stations as the Japanese stops in the 80s or thereabouts, and also, he maps are somewhere in Japan as well. I bought an FSC code and downloaded the 2017 CIC Naorth America Premium package and placed it on a USB at Fat32 formatted, filled all the instruction, but when I insert the USB in the glovebox it says no device detected. However, when I put the USB in the center console I can see the files. Ives tried different USnBs, even tested the port to see if it charges, and nothing happens. A friend of mine has a 320i from Japan as well, 2012, and his glovebox USB shows nothing also. Can someone give me some guidance? I've scoured the internet for some info on this and I see no answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2017, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E82, E84
I've updated the maps in my 2013 135i, and used the glove box port every time. It normally takes a long time for the flash drive to be recognized. Do you have a USB drive with an LED that flashed to indicate drive access? If so, you should be able to see if the car is reading from the drive. Mine will sit there flashing for a good 10 minutes or so before the car does anything. At that point, it will pop up a message on the screen asking if you want to update the maps.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 120i
I'm pretty sure it reads the usb because I've charged my phone through the glovebox port and I've used the same USB prior to Fat32 formatting to upload music.

Because you said it might take a while to recognize the drive I left the USB in the port for 2 weeks. No cigar. I'm lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 07:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E82, E84
Does the car currently have Japan maps on it? Maybe it will not let you install maps unless they are from the same region? Do you know anyone nearby with a North American CIC that you could use to test your USB drive and make sure it was working?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > E82 / E87 / E88 / F20 1 Series (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search