Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:09 PM
M Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Angry Nice luck i have

So i'm about to cross some intersection heading home from the first lane when some asshole with a Chayenne feels like making a right turn from the 3rd lane. He made the turn allright, right into me God damn asshole son of a whore!!!!!!!!!! Had the car for 1 month now, MINT! Now the whole left side is fuc*ed, front fender, both left wheels, sideskirt, door, mirror, back fender, rear bumper. I can't believe the luck i have.

Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2005, 02:32 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Doh!

That sucks. Sorry to hear about the incident.

Check the archives to find a good bodyshop in your neighborhood.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
that's MY nightmare!
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT........... . . . Hope you can get a good bodyshop AriciU, perhaps at the dealer. . . hopefully the insurance people are helpful in this situation as it can get really hairy at times. . ..

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 07-24-2005, 09:10 PM
M Enthusiast

The only thing i am afraid of is that the guys at the dealership don't match the color properly when they paint the parts. Stratus grey is a "hard" color too because of the pearl in it, so if they don't know what they are doing (80% chance of that) it won't match. I'll definately have to order the parts from Germany since there's no chance in hell they stock them so i'm thinking of getting them painted over there.

Yea, insurance companies sure suck around here. They would fix your car with a hammer and wires to not pay what they owe. Good thing i know some folks around here so i don't have to go trough all the insurance mess. If they get stubborn on me i can always use the old 100$ bill method witch always works in this country

Well... in about 2 hours i'll be leaving to the insurance guys and dealership and find out what's what then i'll post how it went when i get back... fingerscrossed.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriciU
So i'm about to cross some intersection heading home from the first lane when some asshole with a Chayenne feels like making a right turn from the 3rd lane. He made the turn allright, right into me God damn asshole son of a whore!!!!!!!!!! Had the car for 1 month now, MINT! Now the whole left side is fuc*ed, front fender, both left wheels, sideskirt, door, mirror, back fender, rear bumper. I can't believe the luck i have.

That's pretty bad luck alright... sorry to hear about that. At least you weren't hurt, that's the important thing... screw the 6... in a way.

I've had some near misses a few times, but I was lucky enough to avoid them. These days, with the GPS that I have, I find back roads, make mental notes about road conditions, traffic, time of day, etc. And, I'll usually pick an alternate route that's safer to drive on.

Ofcourse the good news is, now maybe you can throw on a Hamann aero dynamics kit while you're at it. Anbd perhaps sneak it past the insurance company?
Old 07-24-2005, 10:38 PM
M Enthusiast

Hehe, no chance in hell they would do that. Maybe if i take a bat and do the front bumper and rear myself and slip them around 1k or so... I like it stock more then Hammanized anyway.

Old 07-25-2005, 05:42 AM
M Enthusiast

Settled it. They will replace everything including wheels and tires except for the rear fender witch i didn't want replaced (they have to "cut" it from the body then weld the new one witch would ruin the line of the car IMO + it's easy to straighten it...), sideskirt, mirror and rear bumper (witch all have tiny scratches). All in all it went great. Parts arrive next tuesday and i'm bringing the car in on monday so it should all be over with by friday, next week i think. All i hope is that they match the damn colour properly.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Settled it. They will replace everything including wheels and tires except for the rear fender witch i didn't want replaced (they have to "cut" it from the body then weld the new one witch would ruin the line of the car IMO + it's easy to straighten it...), sideskirt, mirror and rear bumper (witch all have tiny scratches). All in all it went great. Parts arrive next tuesday and i'm bringing the car in on monday so it should all be over with by friday, next week i think. All i hope is that they match the damn colour properly.
That's great. Give us some before and after pictures, if you can.

And start using back roads like I do, and make note of how many stupid people on the road and at what times.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:10 AM
M Enthusiast

I was just cruising in the center when it happened man.

Pics don't show it properly...

Old 07-26-2005, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i ZSP
Horrifying images... poor car
Old 07-26-2005, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: M3
Make sure you get at least $2-4 thousand for diminished value on top of the repair cost from the guys insurance co. Even if they fix the car to perfect, when you go to sell it an accident will "diminish" its value compared to a comparable 6er w/o an accident. I dont know where you live, but here it I think its law to disclose any damage to the vehicle in excess of $500.00.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
M Enthusiast

Well. You guys live in a civilised country. There's no such thing around here.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:26 AM

Can't tell what's wrong with your rims from that picture. In fact, they look in better condition than mine. I live in the city where in certain places roads are narrowl, and you need to park as close to a curb as possible, or risk getting side swiped. So my rims are a bit scuffed.

Anyways, good luck getting your car fixed.

If it's *any* consolation to you, I've had 6 flat tires and a cracked rim in 5 months since I got my BMW 645. Yeah, you read that correctly, that's about 5000 dollars worth of damage and much lost time and aggravation. The 6th one happened last night. I just a very long string of bad luck, and if in a year, I don't get a 2 month period where I don't get a flat, I think I'm gonna turn in my 6 and get a cheap ring-a-ding celica. Or possibly a steam roller, so I don't have to worry about broken glass!

The last one, I should have seen coming: A street cleaner was in front of me. And, you know, street cleaners just kick around dirt. What I think happened, is the cleaners brush kicked up broken glass on the side of the curb and onto the 'tire lane'. Hence the flat. The tech guy showed me where the glass was lodged in my tire.

So the thing to note here is, when a street cleaner is in front of you, stay away from the curb, or don't be in the 'curb-lane'. Or, just avoid that street, if you can.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: A car
SmoothCruise,

Are all those flats with Run Flat tires. If so, are Run Flats more susceptible to glass puncture. I don't think I have ever had a puncture due to glass. Lucky?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:21 PM
M Enthusiast

SmoothCruise: now 6 tires really sux. Doesn't your insurance cover tire damage? Only changed one tire because i didn't know insurance covered it. The rims look quite good in the picture but they are very scratched in real life. Specially the rear wheel.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
SmoothCruise: now 6 tires really sux. Doesn't your insurance cover tire damage? Only changed one tire because i didn't know insurance covered it. The rims look quite good in the picture but they are very scratched in real life. Specially the rear wheel.

Well, I was able to buy wheel well and undercarriage insurance from my dealership after the 5th flat. It covers rims and tires, and anything having to do wth the wheel well or undercarriage damage due to road conditions.

One thing I forgot to ask, and I haven't look it up in the fine print, is if I have my wheel insurance pay for my 6th flat, does that mean my rate goes up? You know, kinda like getting a speeding ticket. How stingy are wheel insurance companies in refunding me for my tire?

thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kay
SmoothCruise,

Are all those flats with Run Flat tires. If so, are Run Flats more susceptible to glass puncture. I don't think I have ever had a puncture due to glass. Lucky?

Yes! They are all run flat tires, and I didn't know that they are more susceptible to glass puncture. However, I don't know exactly what caused the other flats. This is the first time that glass has punctured my tire, to my knowledge.

4 of the flats took place on highway-like roads. So it's possible that they could have been glass, but my wheel was spinning so fast, that the glass chip spun off. My last flat took place in the city at quite slow speeds. (I was behind a street cleaner.)

I don't know if you are lucky. I just think I'm unlucky. Hopefully the flats I've gotten are all the flats I'll get for my lifetime, just condensed into 5 months. Behavior wise, I don't see what I could be doing wrong, other than living in a city, where broken bottles is part of the cityscape. (Incidently, I've never gotten a flat in the countryside where I work. All have been in the city.) For 10 years I never got a flat, but then, I didn't have a car either.

$5k worth of damage is annoying. I would have love to taken that money and put it into a supercharger Actually, I like to invest my money, and this represents an even bigger chunk of money lost. My dealer also takes it's sweet time to fix my car. They don't usually have my tires in stock, so they have to order them. It takes to the end of next day to get my car back. So, that's about 2+ weeks without my car, and away from the office.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
............ For 10 years I never got a flat, but then, I didn't have a car either.
LOL

Your situation makes me want to buy a run flat and put in storage. Usually when you have a spare unit of something you'll never need it
Old 07-31-2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kay
LOL

Your situation makes me want to buy a run flat and put in storage. Usually when you have a spare unit of something you'll never need it

Yeah, laugh all you want!!

I think I'll try out your 'superstition', if it works, it's worth it. But I'll also try this wheel and undercarriage insurance first.

Now, I got my wheels fixed last week. Had my dealer fax them the receipt. I don't know what they faxed, because I later got a phone call from my insurance company asking for the receipt saying "PAID".

Anyways, the timer is ticking. I get a flat about every 3 weeks. At this rate, I'll be able to pay for a 645 in full about every 6 years.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:39 AM
M Enthusiast

Damn! Your roads must really, really be bad over there. And i though us eastern europeans had bad roads.