Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
M3 or Vette for fun factor?

If you wanted a car for fun and looks, which one would you pick? The Vette or an M3?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=2

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=3
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2005, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Convertable
vert!

I just went through the same decision although I also had the Porsche Boxster S and the Honda S2000 (just a fun car at 1/2 the price!) the the Audi S4.

I decided on the M3 vert because I wanted to take my small kids with me. They love the car. Its great having 4 seats. I have even traveled in the back seat and while I would not want to go for 2 hour drives in it, it was great for a summer drive.

The M3 is just so much fun. The vette is nice but seemed less refined. Hard to describe. Its probably a better sportscar but the M3 vert is the best all around 4-seater that I could find.

Last edited by jeffreys48; 07-26-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys48
I decided on the M3 vert because I wanted to take my small kids with me. They love the car. Its great having 4 seats. I have even traveled in the back seat and while I would not want to go for 2 hour drives in it, it was great for a summer drive.

The M3 is just so much fun. The vette is nice but seemed less refined. Hard to describe. Its probably a better sportscar but the M3 vert is the best all around 4-seater that I could find.
I would take a 'Vette in a heartbeat, but it is the lack of a back-seat that would prevent me, having children as well.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
If I only needed two seats? The Vette, no question!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP on order!
Go for the new Z06 - 500 HP!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sport
I've driven both the Corvette and the M3 this year, and while the Corvette is fun, the M3 is a better balanced car and has better build quality. That said, the Corvette is a great value for the dollar.

Speaking of value, the most enjoyable car I've driven this year, and one which I would take back for a week over both the Vette and the M3, is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca
I've driven both the Corvette and the M3 this year, and while the Corvette is fun, the M3 is a better balanced car and has better build quality. That said, the Corvette is a great value for the dollar.

Speaking of value, the most enjoyable car I've driven this year, and one which I would take back for a week over both the Vette and the M3, is the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR.

If the car was available here in Taiwan, I would pick the WRX STI or EVO MR because of the weather and road conditions that we have out here are more Rally like then modern. In California one may need a car for fun factor and looks. I have a Supercharged 330, an 03 model. So I have the two back seats. If you had wanted another car for fun and style would you get the Vette?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
If you had wanted another car for fun and style would you get the Vette?
I would choose an M3 over the Corvette. I was impressed with the performance of the Corvette, but there are things about it that really bothered me - not so much dynamically, but things like the build quality (the drivers door didn't line up with the dash on the inside), the electric doors (which are ridiculous) and the gearbox, which often had a hard time going into 2nd gear. GM also wants to make all the buttons beep when you push them, and that just drove me crazy. The Vette never felt quite as connected to the road as the M3 does, and I even drove the car with the Z51 performance package. I came away with the realization that there's a reason the M3 costs quite a bit more than the Corvette.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:24 PM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Between those two, I'd go with a Corvette. Leaving aside the two-seater aspect, it's got over 20 cubic feet of cargo space (in hatchback form), has plenty of V8 torque allowing for an automatic (gasp, I know), rides well around town and is a real sports car, not a modified E46- sourced sedan.

As mentioned by one of the posters, though, I'd take an S2000 in a heartbeat, it's way less expensive, yet runs with the 'big boys", the vettes, the boxters, the Z4's etc.

Ed
Old 07-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Actually an intern

Mein Auto: 325 Cic (E46)
How tall are you? You might fit better in an M3 rather than in a Vette. I had the same dilemma, and I chose the 325 conv. over the vette conv. I could barely squeeze in the vette, and then my buddy told me I looked funny in there, like I was driving a toy-car. I feel much more comfy in the Bimmer conv. although I once got a coupe loaner and my head was touching the moonroof lip.

Now..... you're probably smaller than 6'7",335lbs. I'd say if you're 6'3" or less you'll fit fine in both.

So put the more exotic looks of the Vette on the one side of the scale and the manufacturing quality of the M3 on the other. IMHO that's what it comes down to
Old 07-26-2005, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
Quote:

when i look at the vette in profile, with the long hood/short deck and low seating position compared to that in a 3 series, it seems like it would feel like a longer car than it is. i was wondering if it felt at all unwieldy or just plain larger than it's actual footprint since the driver sits so low and rearward?
Old 07-26-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector
when i look at the vette in profile, with the long hood/short deck and low seating position compared to that in a 3 series, it seems like it would feel like a longer car than it is. i was wondering if it felt at all unwieldy or just plain larger than it's actual footprint since the driver sits so low and rearward?
The Corvette did feel pretty big on the road, and I was surprised how much understeer there was. It's very wide, so it doesn't give you a feeling that you can toss it around. It definitely feels bigger from the inside than it looks from the outside. That said, it becomes a better car when you drive it harder.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Exit Flagger

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci
C6 Vette
Old 07-26-2005, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshweir27
C6 Vette
Not sure what that means, but that is the car I was referring to. I just spent a week driving it with the Z51 performance package.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:46 AM

The main thing that I did not like about the new C6 Vette was that while sitting in either the drivers' side or passengers' side, one could not put the seat back to take a nap on a trip or something. The passenger seat barely goes back. If two people went up to San Francisco or vegas from L.A. and one wanted to take a nap, it would be quite hard to rest in a seat that stays upright. In the M3, one could lay the seat back to get a nice nap I really like the looks of the new Vette. Never owned or bought an American car before, but thsi new C6 Vette looked much different from what they turned up before. It's also nice to just step on the gas and go without having to work the engine to redline every time to get the thing to move like in most Japanese cars out there.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 AM

Quote:
The Corvette did feel pretty big on the road, and I was surprised how much understeer there was. It's very wide, so it doesn't give you a feeling that you can toss it around. It definitely feels bigger from the inside than it looks from the outside. That said, it becomes a better car when you drive it harder.

What did you think of the rear view mirror view sitting the drivers's side? Can you see clearly to the back or will one be getting endless amounts of tickets because the officer is always in a blind-spot or can never be seen? In the Nissan 350Z, rear view is nearly impossible while driving.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Exit Flagger

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci
Quote:
Not sure what that means, but that is the car I was referring to. I just spent a week driving it with the Z51 performance package.

It just means that I would pick the C6 Vette over an M3 for the sheer fun of driving. I was just answering the question posted up top.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshweir27
It just means that I would pick the C6 Vette over an M3 for the sheer fun of driving. I was just answering the question posted up top.
Oh, OK - sorry for the confusion. I really enjoyed the C6, but it just didn't feel as planted and as confident in its handling as the M3 (especially the ZCP) on the same roads. I'm supposed to get the Z06 in the fall, so am anxious to see how that compares.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: '08 128i cpe ac/pw/ps/abs
Quote:
It definitely feels bigger from the inside than it looks from the outside. That said, it becomes a better car when you drive it harder.
no doubt that things do shrink at speed, wasn't that part of relativety theory or something??? anyway, imo the long hood is something of an issue.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3-'05 C6 CORVETTE
Well, I have both sitting in my garage right now.....2005 M3 and C6 Z51. For the fun/performance factor, I vote for the C6. I choose to drive this when I'm looking for hardline power, handling, and feel of the road. I choose to drive the M3 when needing more of the space, functionality, and comfort factor while not being reduced to a pig on the road. I find it difficult to compare the two because they are two different animals. On a side note, those road & track numbers are pitifully wrong.

Also, I agree with spta97. The new Z06 is unbelievable. I have a deposit down on one and am hoping for late Aug - early Sept delivery. The Nurburgring lap times on it put the exotics to shame.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:55 AM

KAOSINLA, Have you gotten used to the electric doors on the C6 yet? Those things drove me crazy in the week I had the car. Half the time, the passenger couldn't get the door open, and both doors seemed to hesitate for a second before opening, after pusing the button.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
I definitely agree with KAOSINLA...It's apples and oranges..
Corvette......500ish HP V8 ...... "Hint" "Hint" BMW
Other than the obvious, by choosing the Z06, I would be loosing out on refinement, like a smooth running engine(even after a hard run), good closing doors, leather that doesn't crack within a year, an alternator that last past a year, no unnecessary road noise levels, cheesy chicken**** interior plastic that creaks and cracks...oh and a warning chime that will never shut up when my keys are in the ignition and/or lights are on..."you cannot program the thing to shut up!!!!" and the discomfort of high speed oversteer...... But the car does good numbers, and even though I have yet to drive the "brand new" Z06...I'll give it, the "Fun Factor" choice...

apart from fun though..A true POS...

Last edited by dawgbone; 07-27-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOSINLA
Well, I have both sitting in my garage right now.....2005 M3 and C6 Z51. For the fun/performance factor, I vote for the C6. I choose to drive this when I'm looking for hardline power, handling, and feel of the road. I choose to drive the M3 when needing more of the space, functionality, and comfort factor while not being reduced to a pig on the road. I find it difficult to compare the two because they are two different animals. On a side note, those road & track numbers are pitifully wrong.

Also, I agree with spta97. The new Z06 is unbelievable. I have a deposit down on one and am hoping for late Aug - early Sept delivery. The Nurburgring lap times on it put the exotics to shame.
Which one do you feel is faster? Your Vette a manula or auto, what bout your M3?
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
KAOSINLA, Have you gotten used to the electric doors on the C6 yet? Those things drove me crazy in the week I had the car. Half the time, the passenger couldn't get the door open, and both doors seemed to hesitate for a second before opening, after pusing the button.

Actually, it was harder getting used to not have a key ignition anymore.....The electric doors never gave me any problems.....I have my fob programmed to unlock the doors when reaching the specified distance, but there is a pause before opening when it is verifying the fob.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
Which one do you feel is faster? Your Vette a manula or auto, what bout your M3?

First, the M3 is an SMG, while the Vette is a 6 spd. No mods on either. In my opinion, the Vette wins hands down in acceleration and handling. My 0-60's are always in the 4.2's. I was able to get a 4.194 once, but think consistent 4.1's won't be a problem accomplishing once I trade out the Goodyead SC RF's. In handling, I have a much higher entrance speed and better exit power while still feeling comfortable steering and g reaction. Mistakes are correctable, but with the M3 the limitations are very noticeable and mistakes aren't easily correctable. Also, I found that the M3 has a considerable climbing lag at 125+, while the C6 is consistent through 170+. The last 16+ are really the only time I've felt the CD, but feel it very early on with the M3. I love my M3, but I consider it a sports coupe, while I consider the C6 a sportscar. It's all a matter of what your looking for.