Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3-'05 C6 CORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I definitely agree with KAOSINLA...It's apples and oranges..
Corvette......500ish HP V8 ...... "Hint" "Hint" BMW
Other than the obvious, by choosing the Z06, I would be loosing out on refinement, like a smooth running engine(even after a hard run), good closing doors, leather that doesn't crack within a year, an alternator that last past a year, no unnecessary road noise levels, cheesy chicken**** interior plastic that creaks and cracks...oh and a warning chime that will never shut up when my keys are in the ignition and/or lights are on..."you cannot program the thing to shut up!!!!" and the discomfort of high speed oversteer...... But the car does good numbers, and even though I have yet to drive the "brand new" Z06...I'll give it, the "Fun Factor" choice...

apart from fun though..A true POS...
You definitely lose out on refinement with the Corvette, but I've never had cracking of leather or any engine problems. Definitely higher road noise and cheaper plastic dash materials, but I never had a chime with the ignition because it's a push button start ( no keys ) Now, my above post was based on the C6 Z51.....The new Z06 will eclipse anything BMW has to offer.

Here's the newly published Nurburgring lap times....

7:32 - Porsche Carrera GT (7:32.44)
7:43 - 2006 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06
7:44 - Zonda
7:46 - Porsche 996 GT2
7:47 - Porsche Gt3 RS (sport tyres)
7:50 - M3 CSL (sport tyres)
7:52 - GT3 (381hp)
7:52 - Lamborghini Gallardo
7:52 - Lamborghini Murcielao
7:52 - Mercedes SLR mclaren
7:56 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5 Commemorative Edition Z06
7:56 - Porsche 996 Turbo
7:56 - 360 stradale (sport tyres)
7:57 - Lotec Porsche 993 Turbo (600 HP, racing suspension)
7:59 - 2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51
8:07 - Ferrari 550
8:09 - Lamborghini Diablo SV
8:09 - Ferrari 360 Modena
8:10 - Chrysler Viper GTS
8:11 - Porsche Cayman
8:12 - Porsche 993 Turbo (430 HP version)
8:13 - Dodge Viper 505hp SRT-10
8:15 - BMW Z8 400 HP
8:17 - Porsche 996 C2
8:18 - Ferrari F355
8:22 - BMW M Coupe 321 HP
8:25 - Audi RS4 375 HP
8:28 - Porsche 993 C2
8:28 - BMW M5 400 HP
8:32 - Porsche Boxster S
8:35 - BMW M3 Coupe 321 HP
8:37 - Mercedes C32 AMG
8:38 - Honda NSX
8:39 - Honda S2000
8:40 - Chevrolet Corvette
8:42 - Audi S4 265 HP
8:42 - Lotus Exige
8:49 - Jaguar XKR Coupe
8:52 - Mercedes CLK 430

Last edited by KAOSINLA; 07-28-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Wonder why they don't have the numbers for the Regular M3 Coupe, NON CSL Version
Old 07-28-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOSINLA
First, the M3 is an SMG, while the Vette is a 6 spd. No mods on either. In my opinion, the Vette wins hands down in acceleration and handling. My 0-60's are always in the 4.2's. I was able to get a 4.194 once, but think consistent 4.1's won't be a problem accomplishing once I trade out the Goodyead SC RF's. In handling, I have a much higher entrance speed and better exit power while still feeling comfortable steering and g reaction. Mistakes are correctable, but with the M3 the limitations are very noticeable and mistakes aren't easily correctable. Also, I found that the M3 has a considerable climbing lag at 125+, while the C6 is consistent through 170+. The last 16+ are really the only time I've felt the CD, but feel it very early on with the M3. I love my M3, but I consider it a sports coupe, while I consider the C6 a sportscar. It's all a matter of what your looking for.

I once saw a guy driving on the street here in a pretty new M3. The street was heading off to end in what looks like a " T ". The guy tried to power slide and turn left, he ended up smashing directly into the barrier and wall. I was behind him in my VW R32. I could see that he had a very difficult time trying to correct . The guy came out really upset. The whole front end of the car was gone not to mention a good portion of the side. I know I could have taken that turn that he took with another 10-15 MPH on top of that easily in my R32. I felt sorry for him. Was a beautiful looking M3.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
I know I could have taken that turn that he took with another 10-15 MPH on top of that easily in my R32. I felt sorry for him. Was a beautiful looking M3.
Sounds like the problem was not the M3, but a poor driver.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sport
Quote:
Wonder why they don't have the numbers for the Regular M3 Coupe, NON CSL Version
Interesting that the M3 coupe (321hp) which I assume is an E36, was faster than another Corvette by 5-seconds. It's pretty impressive that the CSL is that close to the new Z06.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:23 AM

I would buy the CSL had it been available in the U.S.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:01 PM

Quote:

These are the track records.....I'm guessing the regular M3 didn't make the list.....Only the CSL with racing tires.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Greco
How tall are you? You might fit better in an M3 rather than in a Vette. I had the same dilemma, and I chose the 325 conv. over the vette conv. I could barely squeeze in the vette, and then my buddy told me I looked funny in there, like I was driving a toy-car. I feel much more comfy in the Bimmer conv. although I once got a coupe loaner and my head was touching the moonroof lip.

Now..... you're probably smaller than 6'7",335lbs. I'd say if you're 6'3" or less you'll fit fine in both.

So put the more exotic looks of the Vette on the one side of the scale and the manufacturing quality of the M3 on the other. IMHO that's what it comes down to

I love both cars, but my legs (I'm 6'1") prefer the M3

I have a good friend that just traded in his C5 'Vette for a C6; he let me drive both of them, and my legs were not happy in the C6, which is noticeably smaller!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAOSINLA
These are the track records.....I'm guessing the regular M3 didn't make the list.....Only the CSL with racing tires.

My mistake... it's down the list some.....
Old 07-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Are those times around the ring all by the same driver, I doubt it. The air temps and weather conditions make a big difference as well.

This horsepower race will have to end at some point, I mean who needs over 400 HP for the street?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy
Are those times around the ring all by the same driver, I doubt it. The air temps and weather conditions make a big difference as well.

This horsepower race will have to end at some point, I mean who needs over 400 HP for the street?
No, those aren't by the same driver (drivers are usually designated per mfr.), but that would be the luckiest person in the world if it was!!! The temps and weather play a vital role in these times, but the mfr decides to stop when satisfied and can return at any point to best the times.

In regards to HP war, yes, eventually, it will peak.....But, street is the key term....Personally, I like to have a street car that I can track too....
Old 07-29-2005, 07:14 AM

The New Subaru WRX STI which was just released in Japan is supposed to go around the track in Germany in under 8 minutes as well. Some where around 7.52 or so. That is not bad for an untuned car that is stock. That is running with a GT2
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
The New Subaru WRX STI which was just released in Japan is supposed to go around the track in Germany in under 8 minutes as well. Some where around 7.52 or so. That is not bad for an untuned car that is stock. That is running with a GT2

Is that the 2.0 version? I've noticed they made a lot of improvements for the USDM STi in the past 2 model years. I've been thinking about keeping my 330i and getting one again as a fun car. I used to have an 04, and while it was good I thought it could be better, I sold it and got the 330i.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:

It has already ended in the states, many of years ago...It's Europe, that's now getting into the HP race..All along they have been concerned with making well designed vehicles that are economical to compensate for high fuel prices..With the exception of the Italians in which everyone drives 50+ mpg scooters, and only the riches of the rich drive Ferrari's and Lambo's..But now Euro car manufacturers' are taking on the American muscle genre in a different, more refined way...I hate to say it, but Japanese and Euro car manufacturers have always been ahead of the game as compared to U.S. car makers..in which are solely out to make profit instead of competing with the rest of the world..Make cars/trucks cheaply, sell plenty.. How many piss on BMW/Merc/Porsche stickers do you see on the streets?

I do have to say that I'm somewhat impressed by GM and their LS7..
7.0 Liter displacement, CNC??(variable valve timing, I guess), and dry sump oil system...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It has already ended in the states, many of years ago...It's Europe, that's now getting into the HP race..All along they have been concerned with making well designed vehicles that are economical to compensate for high fuel prices..With the exception of the Italians in which everyone drives 50+ mpg scooters, and only the riches of the rich drive Ferrari's and Lambo's..But now Euro car manufacturers' are taking on the American muscle genre in a different, more refined way...I hate to say it, but Japanese and Euro car manufacturers have always been ahead of the game as compared to U.S. car makers..in which are solely out to make profit instead of competing with the rest of the world..Make cars/trucks cheaply, sell plenty.. How many piss on BMW/Merc/Porsche stickers do you see on the streets?

I do have to say that I'm somewhat impressed by GM and their LS7..
7.0 Liter displacement, CNC??(variable valve timing, I guess), and dry sump oil system...
Why do you think it has ended here with cars like the Mustang GT500(450 HP est.) in the pipeline?

Last edited by bimmerguy; 07-29-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Is that the 2.0 version? I've noticed they made a lot of improvements for the USDM STi in the past 2 model years. I've been thinking about keeping my 330i and getting one again as a fun car. I used to have an 04, and while it was good I thought it could be better, I sold it and got the 330i.

Will have to double check. In the Japanese magazine they claim Torque at 43Kg.. I don't know they use that KG. Stuff. But I do know that 43 is quite high. If they brought that new STI into Taiwan my VW R32would be sold over night for one of those Babies. I never cared for an Aerican car in my life but I would buy a new Vette as a secondary car to cruise around in. WOuld be nice in california with the Targa Top off and 400 Horses on Tap, along with a nice navigation system and Leather. That cars gets looks every where it goes. For the Money, it is a heck of a car. I doubt one would look at $100K car and not bother having second looks at the Vette. Can pocket the other 30-40K in Savings and go travelling. With 30-40K one can hit a lot of Red Light Districts around the world
Old 07-29-2005, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
Quote:
Why do you think it has ended here with cars like the Mustang GT500(450 HP est.) in the pipeline?
Ricer genre??

I think what I was mainly getting at is that domestic car makers are now shooting for more refinement and becoming of age...Whereas overseas have been there and are still keeping ahead of the GM/Ford..etc..More so, technology is advancing over time and you may notice that engine displacments have decreased since the 50-60's where the goats, chargers, mustangs, and camaros were battling the HP race..We have already seen 400+ hp production cars and trucks..And the HP has decreased, now their sales gimick is that this model has the most HP in it's class..From year to year, they(GM, Ford, Mopar) compete over small incriments of HP..Why not blow the competition out of the water...
I think in terms of sales...a better MPG number on a window sticker, will outweight any high output engine performance number...

Take an M3, you'll get it all.. refinement, good fuel economy for the performance, a usable rear seat, and just an all out fun car to drive...

fun factor= Corvette
smart buy factor= M3
But this comarison is two different class of car...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Ricer genre??
Take an M3, you'll get it all.. refinement, good fuel economy for the performance, a usable rear seat, and just an all out fun car to drive...

fun factor= Corvette
smart buy factor= M3
But this comarison is two different class of car...

Agreed, mine will be here soon! ZCP SMG!

Last edited by bimmerguy; 07-29-2005 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
my friend had a C6 vette, he traded it in for an E55 AMG because he didnt like the interior of the vette