Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '67 Mustang
adding bluetooth, assit or no assist setup?

It appears that I can add bluetooth to my car through one of two methods (2005 325cic, no assist or nav) I can get an assist/bluetooth unit (114 or 993) and the antenna OR I can get just the bluetooth unit (389 or 268 or 552) plus the install kit.

The bluetooth + assist option will require taking the car to the dealer to activate (two codes 639 and 633L); the other method will not have this step. Which is the better way to do this for my specifc car? What's the difference in features? I don't think assit will work unless I pay for it. Do both options work with the same phones? Do both options support voice prompts?

FYI-BMW does not make an install kit specifically for my car, but I don't think that matters. My Mic is present in my steering column.

2003 Z4 2.5i, Titanium Silver, Black top and interior, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sport Package, Premium Sound, Sirius (Fiancee's Car)
Ads by Google
Old 07-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwells67
It appears that I can add bluetooth to my car through one of two methods (2005 325cic, no assist or nav) I can get an assist/bluetooth unit (114 or 993) and the antenna OR I can get just the bluetooth unit (389 or 268 or 552) plus the install kit.

The bluetooth + assist option will require taking the car to the dealer to activate (two codes 639 and 633L); the other method will not have this step. Which is the better way to do this for my specifc car? What's the difference in features? I don't think assit will work unless I pay for it. Do both options work with the same phones? Do both options support voice prompts?

FYI-BMW does not make an install kit specifically for my car, but I don't think that matters. My Mic is present in my steering column.
The main difference is that all the Bluetooth phones approved by BMW are for use by the factory Bluetooth, not necessarily fully compatible with the Bluetooth ULF accessory.

Do a search and check that the phone model that you want to buy (or have right now) is fully compatible with the type of BMW Bluetooth unit that you will ultimately choose.

You will not be able to get the Assist working because your car does not have the wiring (rearview mirror buttons), the Blutooth feature and Voice Command (-114) will work, though.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
A couple of other points

Here's my understanding (though others will correct me);

The BT/Assist combo has voice control as an extra add-on part (~$200?).

The retrofit "BT only" ULF module has voice control integral.

Some phones do not work well with the BT only module, in particular the V710 Motorola phone from Verizon, though it can be made to partially work with some versions of the ULF part. Unfortunately there are about 5-6 different versions and details on which ones work (and how well they work) with the V710 is confusing.

It is rumored to be quite hard to find the BT/Assist combo module at dealers for sale as a part, though I have read of people who have found it and had it put in (by the dealer I think).

I would go with the BT/Assist combo, pay for the extra voice control module and have the dealer activate it. It is much more likely work with a wide range of phones and be supported in future years. It will be a higher total cost in $ but probably less in

I have a retrofit BT ULF module (the earliest 552 part number) which I had installed in place of the Assist module which came with my car (2004 330i). It works (with limits) with my V710 phone, but it has its quirks.

Good luck.