Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 07-28-2005, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Comp
Day Time Running Light ?

on a 2005 M3, do any front end lights come on went the car is on ?

If not can they be programmed to do so ?

Anything else I might want to know before I pick up my new car next week ?
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2005, 04:29 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
The dealer can program this feature. They shuold give you, ahead of time, a key memory sheet to figure out which options you want set up which way.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-28-2005, 06:23 PM

thanks....will touch base with them to figure out all the options .
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: ?
Daylight Demon Eyes

I have some demon eyes on my 03 m3 and I love them. They really look good and they double as running lights as far as safety is concerned. You can install them yourself as well. You can check them out at www.umnitza.com
Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
I also have angel eyes/halos..They are awesome, but instead I went with the phosphyre halos...it's the best beauty mod for the e46 M..as well as xenon match DRLs...But since the Halos are bright enough, I wanted to have the DRl turned off...and for some reason, the dealership has yet to figure out how to..They get them programmed off, but as soon as the car starts to roll, they turn back on...They are thinking it's a faulty module that controls those lights...But it's safer with them on, so I'm not too concerned about having them turned off...They still look pretty damn cool...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:28 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Yes, the Predator Chromiums CAN be used as DRLs.

However, we are about to introduce HID DRLs as well.

Call your insurance company, you should be able to get a discount on your insurance with DRLs
Old 07-29-2005, 02:35 PM

I am in Canada so I need DRL it is the LAW !
Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 AM
M Mad

Then dealer will probably set them on as part of the prep.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 07-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: z/tahoe/r1
help

Ok forgive me here I'm new and I did a search but got so much info and It didn't clear up my question. Ok On order is my M3 and I got Bi Xenon lights. Can you still do angel eyes or demon eyes on those lights? I though Bi xenon were enclosed and the whole thing has to be replaced lens and all. I asking because I have never had a car with xenon and told the whole thing needs replacing. If It is something I can order or do please let me know I will order and hopefully it gets here before my car does as she is waiting to be shipped right now!!! Oh does everyone refer to xenon as hids? thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 03:48 AM
M Mad

We refer to them as xenons or bi-xenons. HIDs are for ricers.

As for angel eyes, I would wait a while before installing them. Not sure if they meet the legal requirements of Canada for DRLs. But if you instlal them, and have headlight problems, it is likely that your dealer will blame the angel eyes for the problems and notcover any headlight problems under warranty.

At least give the car some time before modding.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Old 07-31-2005, 10:29 PM
www.umnitza.com

HIDs are not for Ricers. If you knew that HID actually stands for High Intensity Discharge you wouldn't say that

www.umnitza.com/tutorials.php
Old 08-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
I thought Xenons were catogorized as HID's, just without the projectors...I need to do some reading..

muccels...I'm not entirely sure..But I could not see why you couldn't install Halos with bi-xenons..You take the housing lens apart and snap them on..no real magic..In fact you can buy computer case fan covers(try Fry's electronics) that have the cold cathode of your color of choice and do it yourself...But as far as bi-xenon, I think they just fit snugged up to the projector housing..check out these FAQ's from Phosphyre, second one from the bottom... http://www.wheelpower.com/halo_popup.html

The next question is how you want to install them? Switch or tap in...Do a search on it, to see what would best fit you...

As far as DRL's, why would you pay extra for bi-xenon, to have them turned off??? I'm pretty sure that they will be on when you get your car...A cool mod would be to have them both on when your high beams are on at night...Dunno how you could do it, but it would be pretty nice..

My setup looks really nice, especially on jet black...The Halos match the xenons perfectly and the xenon match drl's are so close that you can barely tell...I sat in my garage flipping the lights on/off for half an hour trying to see the difference...I'd like to do the amber corner delete mod, where you tie them into the side markers for blinkers...But have been too lazy lately, nor do I like butchering up my car..PIAA makes a good match for your fogs..
Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: z/tahoe/r1
Thanks for the response so much reading and so little time!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 PM
www.umnitza.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I thought Xenons were catogorized as HID's, just without the projectors...I need to do some reading..

HID = Xenons = HIDs. Read the tutorial, it will show you what we mean www.umnitza.com/tutorials.php

muccels...I'm not entirely sure..But I could not see why you couldn't install Halos with bi-xenons..

You can easily, and use them as DRLs.

You take the housing lens apart and snap them on..no real magic..In fact you can buy computer case fan covers(try Fry's electronics) that have the cold cathode of your color of choice and do it yourself...

Hardly reliable enough, hardly bright enough, and definitely the wrong fit and wrong packaging.

But as far as bi-xenon, I think they just fit snugged up to the projector housing..check out these FAQ's from Phosphyre, second one from the bottom...

Check out DDE FAQ

The next question is how you want to install them? Switch or tap in...Do a search on it, to see what would best fit you...

www.m3forum.com will help you with that DIY

As far as DRL's, why would you pay extra for bi-xenon, to have them turned off???

Bi-Xenons have nothing to do with DRLs.

I'm pretty sure that they will be on when you get your car...

Bixenon is nothing more than an eyelid.

A cool mod would be to have them both on when your high beams are on at night...

You cannot do this with OEM Bi-Xenons.

Dunno how you could do it, but it would be pretty nice..
Would be no point

My setup looks really nice, especially on jet black...The Halos match the xenons perfectly and the xenon match drl's are so close that you can barely tell...

How? Thanks

I sat in my garage flipping the lights on/off for half an hour trying to see the difference...I'd like to do the amber corner delete mod, where you tie them into the side markers for blinkers...But have been too lazy lately, nor do I like butchering up my car..PIAA makes a good match for your fogs..
Hope that helps.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2014 X5 ordered
I just put black tape over the photocell & leave the switch on. BiX's for DRL. All the lights now follow the ignition. I don't know how long these will last this way but for as little as I drive, it works for me.
Marinated in the County.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2014 X5 ordered
The dealer has a form "BMW Vehicle & Key Memory" DRL's are on it. Have it faxed b4 U take delivery. If your dealer cannot, I can attach to an email for U.